Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Default Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?

Hello, I'm doing a chemistry problem which has asked me to write the symbol for Carbon-12, Carbon-13, and Carbon-14, with "nucleon and mass numbers".

I am totally confused by this! Is there a difference in how you write them with the symbol? Or is this some workbook mistake?
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Megadog
The Demagogue

Default Re: Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?

One would assume the nucleon number is the number of nucleons it has (12, 13, 14) while the mass number is the atomic mass (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12, 13, 14))
Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
One would assume the nucleon number is the number of nucleons it has (12, 13, 14) while the mass number is the atomic mass (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12, 13, 14))
Both Protons and Neutron ares are nucleons. Atomic number is how many protons you have, and nucleon number is the total number of protons and neutrons. That means your equation doesn't work.

The point of the exercise may be to check that you know that nucleon count = atomic mass. (Although this isn't technically true due to reasons, at that carbon end of things it's close enough.)
Old 08-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
seamonkey
spoon eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
Both Protons and Neutron ares are nucleons. Atomic number is how many protons you have, and nucleon number is the total number of protons and neutrons. That means your equation doesn't work.

The point of the exercise may be to check that you know that nucleon count = atomic mass. (Although this isn't technically true due to reasons, at that carbon end of things it's close enough.)
Atomic number isn't mentioned. The numbers CM mentioned are the nucleon number and the mass number (which are the same thing.) The mass number is different than the atomic mass which is annoying. The atomic mass is what megadog was trying to write an equation for, but failed due to counting too many neutrons.
The correct equation of atomic mass of carbon is (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12 - 6, 13 - 6, 14 - 6))

Some of what I wrote down is a restatement of hyperme's post, but was slightly confusing so I rewrote it.

Last edited by seamonkey; 08-18-2015 at 03:06 PM.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Atomic number isn't mentioned. The numbers CM mentioned are the nucleon number and the mass number (which are the same thing.) The mass number is different than the atomic mass which is annoying. The atomic mass is what megadog was trying to write an equation for, but failed due to counting too many neutrons.
The correct equation of atomic mass of carbon is (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12 - 6, 13 - 6, 14 - 6))

Some of what I wrote down is a restatement of hyperme's post, but was slightly confusing so I rewrote it.
Thanks, it's been a while since I did this so I forgot A) That nucleons are both and B) that the number is the number of nucleons, not neutrons.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I think it's obviously a workbook mistake. The nucleon number and mass number are indeed the same. I think what the book meant to say was atomic instead of nucleon number.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote