Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 09-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Default Re: Doctor Who, August 23rd!

I never like the 'boyfriend gets introduced to doctor' episodes. IIRC, the last time was waaaay back in Christopher Ecchilson time. I really liked the bad guy. The jerky movements looked really nice and fitted the model. Sad that he didn't get the limelight. Sadly, pink did. I don't really want to see this become pink trying to get the doctors approval. Doctor as caretaker was just awkward, slightly funny. The Matt Smith dude was a funny inclusion. OK episode.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #22
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Last Minute Morgan opinions.com

This episode was all over the place. Was it trying to be scary? Uplifting? Inspiring? We go from xenomorph spider viruses (?) to 'the moon is an egg' (totally ripping off GRRM there) to 'humans are terrible murder people except not'. bah! We also get more intense jerk Doctor acting, because a likable main character is apparently bad. I blame the Moppet.

Also mass. Massive mass. Gravity is a function of mass. Mass cannot be created out of nothing. So how was the space dragon growing? They don't even technobabble it!

Furthermore, the Mexicans. The spent presumably $big number getting to the moon, then suddenly lose interest when their mission suddenly disappears. That is ridiculous. So is the fact that despite the fact the Mexicans should have a functioning space program, a 30 year decommissioned Shuttle is the only space thing available.

Danny was also there and said words. yay?

Next Time...

Mummy on the Orient Express! (UNNECESSARILY) IN SPACE!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #23
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Looks like your a week behind there...

Moon:
Really terrible episode. Most of what you mentioned, as well as "Im not sure what to feel..." I think they tried to make it feel really heavy, but it didn't. Also, that's a massive piece of Dr. Who cannon (ie moon = egg) that is addressed in a pitiful episode. If your gonna have a massive implicating episode that potentially changes everything, at least make it good. Also, logic dictates blow up the moon every time. Humans said. blow up the moon. 2 people said dont. I felt there was no justification at all in having clara press the button.

Orient Express:
Epic episode. Really really good. Had everything. Interesting bad guy, cool idea to put them on a science train, logic was sound (something that's been lacking this season). "are you my mummy?" made my day. Every time they'll reference that episode but it such a good episode to reference. Ending was a bit weird. Hopefully they revisit this to show who the architect dude was. Wild idea: The mummy is a promised land farmer O.O Awesome episode though.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #24
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Murder on the Opinion Express:

Another not so serious episode ends up being pretty good! The Foretold is set up as an actual threat, and the whole 'it was science all along' didn't ruin the mood. It's still a spooky mummy, and it does actually exist.

We also have an evil train conductor AI who is up to something. This could be actually interesting plot arc. (Now watch as Moffat screws it up or connects to the current Heaven arc.)

We also have 'Clara is addicted' which I bet is more Moffat meddling as he tries to be Deep Character Writer. On Doctor Who of all things.

Next Time...

Invaders from Flatland!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #25
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Opinions in 2D!!!!

It's the Doctor versus Flatland! People die in various horrible ways as evil monsters corner our heroes. It's like a Moffat episode back when they were good!

There's a tiny Tardis, and Clara being 'The Doctor' works out fairly well. And there's the whole 'being Doctor isn't being good' thing so we have thematic consistency.

Next Time...
Trees attack!

The mountain elves of Doktr make fine wine and mead from the fruits of the Opinion Tree.

In this episode, they go to the forest, but the forest is London! Danny fights a Tiger with a torch! And zoo animals.. leave the zoo... and attack... humans? huh

This seemed to be your standard fum time pre-final breather you get in TV. The trees fairies save the world, the Gin and Tonic kids are winners, and it's all happy.

It was kind of weird how much open space the forest had though. I've been to London, and the roads, while wider than normal, aren't motorway length 8 lane mega roads.

Next Time:

Clara is evil. And/or we meet Time Lady Clara.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
tyconger191
Badguy

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #27
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
I seriously doubt Dr. Who would canonize life after death or rebirth or whatever.
OKAY.

latest episode:
Slow, lets wait till next week. So far so good though. Missy is master, cant say i didn't see that coming. Get a new bad guy already! Its a big canon to make life after death legit so this better be good., You've already failed once writers, dont do it again :/

2d
Really cool episode. It was like the whole thing was a modern art show, and i liked it. Mini tardis was cooooooool. I want one.Clara played doctor well. Logic was solid throughout.

Trees:
Meh. Im not saying kid actors are bad, but kid actors are bad. "can we take another selfie?" "NO. THE WORLD IS DYING. THERE ARE LOTS OF UNEXPLAINED TREES. WEIRD STUFFS HAPPENING. AND YOURE ASKING A TEACHER IF YOU CAN TAKE A SELFIE. REALLY." Liked the little girl speaking with the trees thing. They once again show how they fired the science adviser by having a wonderfully nice looking but completely unrealistic solar flare and coronal mass ejection. Also, filling the atmosphere with oxygen is totally gonna help stop fire! Yeah! Writing like this has been all through this season and has been a real disappointment. Get some logics mate.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #28
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Opinions of the Dead:

In this week's episode, Clara turns evil after - PSYCH! Actually Danny was killed by Devil Ex Machina so the Doctor decides to go to the afterlife. Except, they end up inside 3W. Spooky!

The episode slowly builds up to the fact that 3W isn't being honest with anything. The truth? Missy, the head of 3W, is using the bodies and minds of the deceased to create an army of Cybermen, a plot twist that would of been better if Cybermen hadn't be plastered all over the promotional material. Had they been a surprise, the Cyberman reveal would of been pretty great.

Of course, it turns out they were distracting from the true reveal! (Which many people worked out)

"I'm Missy"
"And whose Missy?"
"Please, try to keep up. It's short for Mistress. Well, I could hardly keep calling myself the Master, could I?"

New Master, new sideways hat. And many new ways to mess with the Doctor. (But not Dr. CHANG!)

also there was some things will emotional danny.

Next Time Predictions...

Missy escapes at the end in a red phone booth
UNIT fails to contain Missy
Danny doesn't delete his emotions, because of the boy he killed.
The Doctor realizes the Master kissed him.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #29
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Opinions in heaven:

What you can't killed the Master she was awesome.

0/10, Moffat is the worst forever.

Okay, so imagine a really good ice skating show. Except, right at the end, the main lead screws up and goes plowing into the food stand. Yeah. That is Death in Heaven.

We start off well, with The Master acquiring any and all ham she can, as well as Scottish accent. No scenery remains unchewed as she carves a path of unnecessary death and destruction. Of course, Michelle Gomez's performance is so good, the Master has to die. We can't have interesting villains while Moffat is writing, now can we?

On the topic of dodge writing, let's talk about Danny. In an amazing fun time twist, he'll never get Ebby's Diamond Doily*. Because he's dead. Twice over. Somehow, Moffat manages to undercut his hero moment, then undercut the undercutting by introducing a magic undeader, then having Danny unkill that kid. woo.

Also you'd think a UNIT science person wouldn't get so close to the Master. Missy is dangerous!

Everything else was pretty good though. Mostly because Michelle Gomez formed a swirling vortex of insane lady Master who is also Mary Poppins but EVIL!

What I'm saying is that Moffat destroys everything good he creates in this episode. It's Listen all over again.

Next Time...

Wait, Nick Frost as Santa? I can't even!

*You'll never get her Diamond Doily. Play DROD: The Second Sky today!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #30
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Blerg. No epic cyberman gunfight. No giant super mega pooper scooper cyberman army. That really dissapoints me. A lot. Anti-climactic to the extreme. Danny dies for real, no gunfight, really weird way to end as well. What were missys intetions? Was she really gonna jepordise her whole evil mega plot by giving control of her army to the doctor? Idonteven. What purpose did that serve? Was she checking her morale value by setting out to kill everyone and create a Dr. Who zombie army before giving control of her army to the one person who could stop her? Once again, bad writing puts a blemish on what could have been an epic episode.

Still a very good episode though. Cyberdanny was heart-wrenching.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
Of course, Michelle Gomez's performance is so good, the Master has to die. We can't have interesting villains while Moffat is writing, now can we?
Pretty sure that was the "I'm teleporting away" woosh rather than the "I'm disintegrating woosh". She just wanted to see if he'd do it.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #32
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

*TARDIS sound*

IT'S TIME!

What do you mean, 9 months late? These reviews are just over a week late, at the most.

Last Christmas:

And they woke up and it was all a dream! But did they really escape the dream?

Some solid stuff here, slightly undercut by the fact is this was probably meant as a final Clara episode. Death by head dreamcrabs manages to be spooky, and the plot is resolved.

The main bad thing I guess is all the peeps saying 'but was Series N just dream?'.

45 Minutes of set up for the next part:

In this episode, a bunch of stuff happens. Planes are froze, go directly to UNIT, no not collect 200, hey the Doctor has a dial, he's on a tank with a guitar. Finally we get to Skaro and everyone dies, except we know they don't because of trailers.

Good news, Missy is back! Still delightfully evil, still slightly obsessed with the Doctor. Ironically, go off to save the Doctor is an improvement. No more dressing up as a scarecrow, hopefully (see Mark of the Rani (or don't)). Although I guess the Master/Missy always dresses for the occasion (see the movie).

But yeah, mostly set up. Nothing much to ad-

Oh yeah, child Davros. Having seen Genesis of the Daleks, I worked out Skaro. Assumed the child being Davros would be too silly. Given I made a similar mistake in judgement for another BBC show twist, (New Tricks), I should of been firmer in my convictions.

Reuse, Regenerate, Recycle

Hey, Missy and Clara didn't die. Such shock. They go on an adventure, and Missy is basically 'lol, you are tool'. Also she has a daughter!?

Meanwhile, the Doctor mugs a disabled person for his cool chair. Thankfully, the BBC shows that such an act leads to karmic retribution when snakes attack. Then Davros proceeds to tell the Doctor that he can totally murder the Daleks for good, and nobody will know. The Doctor doesn't feel like it. Then his compassion is used to make him give the Daleks a power up.

However, Davros' dream of finally getting his unlimited rice pudding is crushed by sewer Daleks. Missy then tries to get the Doctor shoot Clara, who's cosplaying as a Dalek. But because of the Doctor saying mini-Davros, Clara escapes.

Not sure how I feel about this whole 'confession dial' thing. The arcs haven't been especially compelling lately. I mean, the last one didn't really need the whole 'Missy is collecting' bits. Also, the Doctor had a reason for leaving Gallifrey, and Davros knows it! It blew up Skaro! (see Remembrance of the Daleks)

Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #33
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Ghosts and Gobfish

I'm still not sold on all these two part episodes. We know the Doctor isn't going to die for real, since there's a bunch more episodes still coming. And you can only reuse the 'oh no is doctor die?' angle so many times before it becomes stale.

Really, with an extra 15 minutes of run time, Under the Lake could stand on its own. The last piece of the puzzle would be the box, which would contain the path to the ultimate solution. Before the Flood looks like it will have a different tone from the first part, so it's maybe weird to link them? On the other hand, Under the Lake stands on its own. The main parts of the 'ghost' mystery are solved, and the connection to the second part isn't just 'oh no they is surround by monster'.

Also, props on the deaf character not being entirely defined by her disability. I don't think it had any effect on the narrative. Which is a good thing. I won't get on my soapbox, but tokenism and this weird 'your non-visible minorityness must impact the plot' thing are really two sides of a bad coin.

Next Time...
We pretend like the Doctor is going to die for 40 minutes, than solve the mystery.

Last edited by hyperme; 10-05-2015 at 02:34 PM.
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote