Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017
Old 01-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Alternatives to DosBox?

Hello, I'm wondering whether there are any alternative MS-DOS emulators to DosBox?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Default Re: Alternatives to DosBox?

I know there's things like FreeDOS and such out there, but those are more full-OS solutions rather than emulation solutions. DosBox is by far the most commonly used emulator and likely the most supported that you'll find.

If ease-of-use is an issue you can always use a frontend like D-Fend Reloaded to simplify things by providing a graphical interface rather than the classic DOS command line.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Is there anything that is not from Sourceforge?

Last edited by REACTOR; 01-14-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Though the SourceForge link is the official site for it, there are plenty of mirrors for it if for some reason you don't want to download from what is likely the single largest site for open-source software.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
Old 01-15-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
REACTOR
Question the trends!

"...the single largest site for open-source software."

And thus since it's so prominent it's an attractive target for ransomware hackers.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

In my experience, you are far more likely to find malicious software on small, relatively unknown distribution sites than you will on big ones, which generally have more staff and better systems to get rid of any malicious programs posted to their site than small ones without those same resources. No big software distributor will survive for long if their site is being heavily used to spread infections, so they will generally be stricter about enforcing rules and whatnot.

You're far better off avoiding infection by being smart about what you download and watching for installers that try to bundle things on you or sneak in multiple EULAs for several different programs rather than blindly avoiding "big sites" because they're somehow more of a target. With that kind of logic, you might as well just not download anything since you could find any number of reasons as to why any site, no matter its size, might be a "target" for malicious developers.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
In my experience, you are far more likely to find malicious software on small, relatively unknown distribution sites than you will on big ones, which generally have more staff and better systems to get rid of any malicious programs posted to their site than small ones without those same resources. No big software distributor will survive for long if their site is being heavily used to spread infections, so they will generally be stricter about enforcing rules and whatnot.

You're far better off avoiding infection by being smart about what you download and watching for installers that try to bundle things on you or sneak in multiple EULAs for several different programs rather than blindly avoiding "big sites" because they're somehow more of a target. With that kind of logic, you might as well just not download anything since you could find any number of reasons as to why any site, no matter its size, might be a "target" for malicious developers.
Okay, I guess so. But I am still not sure, because I've read articles on successful hack attempts made at Sourceforge. But thanks for the link! But then again, I guess I could use a Sandbox application to help with that.

Last edited by REACTOR; 01-15-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #8
REACTOR
Question the trends!

I believe I have some proof of my worries from a Web Of Trust scorecard: https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/s...t=popup#page-1
Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
I believe I have some proof of my worries from a Web Of Trust scorecard: https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/s...t=popup#page-1
Trustworthiness is 93/100. Not terrible by any means.