Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
yourter12
forever gone
 
yourter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: octopus
Posts: 1,354
Default Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

Thought you guys might like them, so I'll just put them riiiiiight here.
__________________
yourter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

They certainly sounds very percussionist compared to the original pieces. By the way, does Jamul allow you to use the remixes of the original instrumentals from the game for your fan-made one?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.
Moderator
 
sonicchaos1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Definately not behind you
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
They certainly sounds very percussionist compared to the original pieces. By the way, does Jamul allow you to use the remixes of the original instrumentals from the game for your fan-made one?
Legally speaking, remixes are in a bit of a grey area due to US fair use laws, which usually breaks down to a four-prong test if it ever comes to court:

i) nature of the work - derivative works for non-commercial use tend to be more likely to be considered "fair use" than commercial works
ii) availability of the original - If you remix a song that hasn't been officially released yet, or is only available on a limited basis, you may be considered to have interfered with the artist's right to determine if and how to release the work, and it will generally not be considered fair use. Considering these are 10+ year old songs, probably not an issue here.
iii) usage of the original - the less of the original work that is used in the remix, the more likely it will be considered fair use. Though quite a lot is different in these versions, most of the samples sound like they're from the original, which kind of makes this point a toss-up in this case, though I'd probably lean towards not-fair use on this point were I a judge (I'm not).
iv) has the remix devalued the original work - generally applies in the case where a remix becomes more popular and/or downloaded more than the original work, which certainly wouldn't apply here due to the age of the originals and the fact that the primary value of the original comes from the game its in, not the music itself.

So yeah, probably could go either way were it to ever go before a court depending on the judge. Point 3 is likely the only legal argument that could hold water in this situation though due to the age and nature of the originals.

However, all that said, it's always better to ask permission first, particularly since I don't believe that Jamul made the originals and as such might not hold all the rights needed to allow remixing in the first place.
__________________

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
yourter12
forever gone
 
yourter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: octopus
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
They certainly sounds very percussionist compared to the original pieces. By the way, does Jamul allow you to use the remixes of the original instrumentals from the game for your fan-made one?
I don't see why it would be a problem;
  • These songs are 15 years old and part of a very obscure indie game that barely anyone's buying nowadays.
  • People make fan-games of indie games nowadays, and most creators give the thumbs-up to them as long as it's not stealing money from them.
  • I'm giving partial credit to Brent Christian anyways on the ones that are mostly remix since Brent made them.
  • If I make the game cost money, I would definitely give a fairly large percentage (around half) to Team Hamumu since they made the original and they deserve to make monies.
  • Remixes can be considered as a form of appreciation.

Also, I do not sample instruments from the original songs; everything is from soundfonts.
__________________
yourter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.
Moderator
 
sonicchaos1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Definately not behind you
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourter12 View Post
I don't see why it would be a problem;
  • These songs are 15 years old and part of a very obscure indie game that barely anyone's buying nowadays.
  • People make fan-games of indie games nowadays, and most creators give the thumbs-up to them as long as it's not stealing money from them.
  • I'm giving partial credit to Brent Christian anyways on the ones that are mostly remix since Brent made them.
  • If I make the game cost money, I would definitely give a fairly large percentage (around half) to Team Hamumu since they made the original and they deserve to make monies.
  • Remixes can be considered as a form of appreciation.

Also, I do not sample instruments from the original songs; everything is from soundfonts.
Been a while since I heard the originals, so it's fully possible I got mixed up on that front.

I'm not saying that it is a problem necessarily, just providing the legal background on things like this since it was brought up and I like talking about law stuff (originally went to college for law before switching to CompSci).
__________________

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
yourter12
forever gone
 
yourter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: octopus
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
Been a while since I heard the originals, so it's fully possible I got mixed up on that front.

I'm not saying that it is a problem necessarily, just providing the legal background on things like this since it was brought up and I like talking about law stuff (originally went to college for law before switching to CompSci).
Ah, I understand.
__________________
yourter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #7
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat
 
Androgeos Exeunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth, Sol
Posts: 929
Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt
Default Re: Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

I note that the bitrate on your files is 96 kbps. Just out of curiosity, is there any reason for that?
__________________
"The Burninator is an enigmatic weapon. Apparently forged in the medieval ages by a wizard who loved fireballs, the Burninator is regarded in legend as the ultimate fusion between arcane combustion and napalm technology."
Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:06 AM   #8
yourter12
forever gone
 
yourter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: octopus
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Here's some Dr. Lunatic remixes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androgeos Exeunt View Post
I note that the bitrate on your files is 96 kbps. Just out of curiosity, is there any reason for that?
I don't know, I never checked the bitrate.
__________________
yourter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music Remixes and MIDIs? yourter12 Dr. Lunatic 6 10-16-2011 04:03 PM
Loony Lunatic To Dr. Lunatic Pewskeepski Loonyland 42 04-27-2010 09:12 PM
Dr. Lunatic Supreme With Cheese Trailer - Lunatic Research Facility Androgeos Exeunt Dr. Lunatic 0 02-16-2009 09:39 AM
Video Game Remixes blackmyth General Blabber 4 06-11-2007 01:17 PM
Dr.Lunatic -The cartoon series- Yes Dr.Lunatic cartoon! ducklegion Dr. Lunatic 60 04-09-2006 10:42 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.