Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Default Is anyone still there? (I feel so old)

So in case anyone was wondering, I'm still alive. I kinda stopped visitng here shortly after I started a degree a few years ago, but I thought I'd come back to see how things are going, since I realized it was my cakeday today. Not that the term "cakeday" existed when I signed up.

After all, a lot changes in eleven years. :P

When I first signed up, I got kinda hooked on the concept of following Jamul's idea and becoming an indie game developer, working for myself and making what I wanted! That... half worked out, in that I went to university to study software engineering and passed with a first. (Highest possible ranking in UK universities) But on the way there, I became an adult and slammed head-first into just how difficult creating anything significantly complex was. Jamul made it look so easy! (And now I appreciate far more how impressive it is that he's kept one company going for 16 years.)

There is something vaguely nostalgic about the days of the Supreme With Cheese and Loonyland, where an internet connection was unnecessary and a powerful level editor was all you needed for a game to be "moddable." These days, if you don't have a script interpreter, you might as well not bother, and that means there's almost no need for any of Hammered's tricks to squeeze as much as she could out of only having 256 bytes of global memory to play with.

But everything's changed so much since then, and now I'm an engineer writing military radar software instead of the games developer I wanted to be. Oops?

See you later.

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 03-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote