Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 03-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Default Is anyone still there? (I feel so old)

So in case anyone was wondering, I'm still alive. I kinda stopped visitng here shortly after I started a degree a few years ago, but I thought I'd come back to see how things are going, since I realized it was my cakeday today. Not that the term "cakeday" existed when I signed up.

After all, a lot changes in eleven years. :P

When I first signed up, I got kinda hooked on the concept of following Jamul's idea and becoming an indie game developer, working for myself and making what I wanted! That... half worked out, in that I went to university to study software engineering and passed with a first. (Highest possible ranking in UK universities) But on the way there, I became an adult and slammed head-first into just how difficult creating anything significantly complex was. Jamul made it look so easy! (And now I appreciate far more how impressive it is that he's kept one company going for 16 years.)

There is something vaguely nostalgic about the days of the Supreme With Cheese and Loonyland, where an internet connection was unnecessary and a powerful level editor was all you needed for a game to be "moddable." These days, if you don't have a script interpreter, you might as well not bother, and that means there's almost no need for any of Hammered's tricks to squeeze as much as she could out of only having 256 bytes of global memory to play with.

But everything's changed so much since then, and now I'm an engineer writing military radar software instead of the games developer I wanted to be. Oops?

See you later.

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 03-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Re: Is anyone still there? (I feel so old)

I am still clinging around here, hoping that one day Hamumu Software will finally have a golden age again. But recently I have quit Dr L SWC world building as I am focusing on my academic life.

I once thought of doing game development as a degree, but seeing at how the art field is filled with many hardships and saturation I decided against that. I think game development is just a profitable hobby now, just as writing is. I will be sitting for my O-levels soon and if I pass I will enter into my first foundation year of university. I would then go onto agronomy. It looks like an interesting, varied and employable degree.

By the way, how is writing software for military radars?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Hey! Good to see some more familiar people stopping by. Every once in a while someone shows up after a long hiatus.

Anyways I completely agree about the games here. SWC was not only far ahead of its time but also completely capable of customization via a simple editor. Even I want to build a game after playing one of the classics and I know nothing about programming. I think Jamul's games still have merit today (beyond nostalgic value) simply due to their technical capabilities (and some fantastic graphics, gameplay, and level design). That's why I still play them!

Also, military software engineering sounds cool (and very impressive).
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
So in case anyone was wondering, I'm still alive. I kinda stopped visitng here shortly after I started a degree a few years ago, but I thought I'd come back to see how things are going, since I realized it was my cakeday today. Not that the term "cakeday" existed when I signed up.

After all, a lot changes in eleven years. :P

When I first signed up, I got kinda hooked on the concept of following Jamul's idea and becoming an indie game developer, working for myself and making what I wanted! That... half worked out, in that I went to university to study software engineering and passed with a first. (Highest possible ranking in UK universities) But on the way there, I became an adult and slammed head-first into just how difficult creating anything significantly complex was. Jamul made it look so easy! (And now I appreciate far more how impressive it is that he's kept one company going for 16 years.)

There is something vaguely nostalgic about the days of the Supreme With Cheese and Loonyland, where an internet connection was unnecessary and a powerful level editor was all you needed for a game to be "moddable." These days, if you don't have a script interpreter, you might as well not bother, and that means there's almost no need for any of Hammered's tricks to squeeze as much as she could out of only having 256 bytes of global memory to play with.

But everything's changed so much since then, and now I'm an engineer writing military radar software instead of the games developer I wanted to be. Oops?

See you later.
Could be worse. I studied CompSci wanting to do game development, ended up getting kicked out three semesters in, and ended up doing IT instead.

In a pretty good spot now though. Don't have my degree yet but have much more experience in the industry and more certifications than most people my age which has gotten me some pretty good offers. Interviewing for an IT manager position now and have also been offered to take over one of my old professor's consulting businesses when he retires.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

I'm around. Every day, in fact. Out of habit, pretty much. I've been here every day for so long that it's hard not to at this point. I just never really have a reason to post. I've just started college, doing CompSci as well, heh. But other than that, I've done absolutely nothing with my life. Just playing games by myself. I've tried learning some hobbies and such, but I never went past the basics of whatever I was trying that day due to procastinating, or whatever. Kinda disappointing.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
seamonkey
spoon eater

As the non comp-sci person, I'm around. I'll check in every few days - also out of habit. Still an undergrad. In other news I recently acquired furniture for myself, so things are looking up.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
TyTBone
College Boi

Thumbs up Re: Is anyone still there? (I feel so old)

Quote:
'Sup. I cringe-worthingly remember arguing with you about animal abuse and the Bible. I'm still not an atheist but my views have certainly broadened over the years, and I've learned it's generally not worth arguing on the internet.

Anyway, I got a degree in graphic design and (currently) spend my free time trying to improve my drawing and animation skills (besides browsing the internet and GOG forums). I tinkered with trying to make games but programming never "clicked" with me, and of course the market is so saturated with games anyway. I think I'll stick with drawing and animation; I might try to team up with a programmer to make a freeware game eventually, though.

I still hope Jamul makes another game in his "traditional" style. Shame HPG never got made; those Journal entries gave me dopamine rushes or something, very exciting and fun to be involved and see progress made.

Also, Just Compare the Clocks

EDIT: HPG nostalgia - http://hamumu.com/journal.php?archive=200804

Last edited by TyTBone; 03-09-2016 at 10:38 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
By the way, how is writing software for military radars?
The best part of the job is being able to genuinely say, "That's classified."
(But other than the sheer coolness factor, it's much like any other high-integrity enterprise programming job.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
Could be worse. I studied CompSci wanting to do game development, ended up getting kicked out three semesters in, and ended up doing IT instead.
Don't worry, it'd have gotten worse. (Although my CS program was in opposition to "applied computing," which meant my course had all the maths and theory modules that weren't strictly necessary.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
'Sup. I cringe-worthingly remember arguing with you about animal abuse and the Bible. I'm still not an atheist but my views have certainly broadened over the years, and I've learned it's generally not worth arguing on the internet.
But how else are you supposed to expand your mind in the first place?

Quote:
I still hope Jamul makes another game in his "traditional" style. Shame HPG never got made; those Journal entries gave me dopamine rushes or something, very exciting and fun to be involved and see progress made.

Also, Just Compare the Clocks

EDIT: HPG nostalgia - http://hamumu.com/journal.php?archive=200804
Where you around for Loonyland 2? When he was building it, Jamul put up a new blog post every days with what he was working on.

(I remember that when it finally came out, I had to borrow my parents credit card to buy it immediately.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
But how else are you supposed to expand your mind in the first place?
Through the power of euphoric memes.

I'm still pretty pro-gun-rights though, so that hasn't changed and probably won't.

Quote:
Where you around for Loonyland 2? When he was building it, Jamul put up a new blog post every days with what he was working on.

(I remember that when it finally came out, I had to borrow my parents credit card to buy it immediately.
I think it was shortly after LL2 had come out. I know it was late-2007/early 2008, because I had just started college and had good access to the internet there. I was pretty excited for HPG's possibility as a "family-friendly" take on GTA, so I eagerly awaited whatever Journal entries came out about that (especially spring and summer 2008, iirc).
Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
Megadog
The Demagogue

I'm rarely still here. It would appear my prophesy that this site would stagnate was right, but no one really doubted me on it. I feel old coming here now...
Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #11
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat

Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt

I drop by once in a while, but there isn't much for me to post on. My weekdays are spent working 9 hours a day in a highly-respected "organisation" where there's always a lot of work to do. Because of that, I usually shut myself off during weekends to rest and idle around doing nothing really productive.

If you were to ask me whether I thought I'd be in this rather nice position 9 years ago when I joined this forum and was still in the US equivalent of high school, I won't be able to give a straight answer.

Maybe I'll take up a degree once I get bored of this routine, which will most certainly make my life more hectic.
Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #12
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

I pop in and out every now and then. Over the past year I've been working (on and off) on compiling my unfinished SWC worlds into a playable whole. (more info here!)
Other than that, I've just been plain busy with creative endeavors and a full-time job. I don't even do much gaming anymore. Although, every so often, I do love to take a walk down nostalgia street and play some of the good games from the good ol' days, and a lot of them are from here
Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #13
tsuma
Medium Mortal

I'm still visiting and It's nice to see that others also do.
Hamumu games were a very important part of my personal development.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #14
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I pop in now and then, but most of the traffic here now is for Growtopia, it seems, and I still haven't found the time to play it to see if I might be into it. I spend a lot of my time on schoolwork and math, and the rest is divided among Netflix, hanging out/talking with friends, and working on my mess of a text adventure game (coming soon™).
Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
Granoose
Puny Mortal

Hi guys. Im brand new here, but not to these games. I need to get my hands on kid mystic asap! Its the ultimate game from my childhood and id love to play it again. Could any of you help? The ordering is down
Granoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #16
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Oh, I've re-enabled ordering now. I've got plans for a whole new thing so was leaving it down to give me incentive to get it all set up, but I'm just too busy. So same old ordering is back!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #17
Granoose
Puny Mortal

Thumbs up Re: Is anyone still there? (I feel so old)

Nice one Jamul. My next question, Can I buy kid mystic from here and play it on windows 7 and up?
Granoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up derailedthread.png

The updated version sold on the site works great all the way to Windows 10.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 05-24-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #19
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

I'm no longer a bratty pre-teen who spends his days trolling random people on the internet because I have nothing better to do, and actually have started a degree in game development at an art university. As for other projects i've done recently, I've recently started a huge website project (which isn't family friendly, so I can't link it), going back and 100%ing games I wanted to (one being SWC, on a new file and at 45% right now), and building doom maps and possibly a SWC world. Other than that nothing really new that isn't mundane, planning to move soon and still hanging out from people I met years ago on this site.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #20
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

Ugh, I'm glad I didn't use facebook between 2009 and 2014. Thankfully all of my stupid/edgy/tryhard/embarrassing posts are confined to Hamumu. That doesn't mean anyone should look at them. I'm just glad no one I look in the eye knows how seriously I used to take a joke or a costume party level.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 05-25-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit