Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Nintendo gaming system.
Nintendo 1 14.29%
Super Nintendo 2 28.57%
Nintendo 64 2 28.57%
Nintendo Gamecube 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #21
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Re: Bioethics / Nintendo Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Sorry for the double post

cite?

cite for the connection of GMO and bees

a new cite? One that doesn't, in turn, cite the study that you previously cited? DGH is correct in saying that study has been withdrawn.

I'm just gonna assume this one is true. People can suck sometimes.

I'll believe this too. I am not a fan of Monsanto. I will say this is a problem with the current implementation of GMO rather than the concept of GMO in and of itself. There is a huge lit base on why Monsanto is evil.

1 needs a cite, 2 is probably true, but I don't know why I care. 3 may be true, but I'm unsure how much we give antibiotics to plants. (unless the arg is it causes antibiotic resistance in humans in which case you definitely need a cite), 4 needs a cite, 5 needs a cite. Other than the intrinsic agnosticism of doing something there aren't tons of specific risks

1. is probably true, 2. I wouldn't mind a cite for, 3 is clearly true but it doesn't matter. We have enough food to feed the world and more and it just kinda sits there because people can't afford to buy the food. (citation is lying around. If you want it I can dig it up)
Okay, I would look through my sources again and gather up some cites.

I also agree that there is already enough food and water to feed the entire world, and people are starving because they are poor and for other reasons as well.

But if everyone can agree on that, then why do we need GMO foods anyway? I know that probably we want to have plants which can prosper in different environments and other full-blown ideas. But I think the main problem is that the common attitude to technology is, how can we market this?

Btw, here is one citation:

Quote:
Cross-breeding with wild populations. For all of these examples, a primary concern is preventing genetically modified versions from mixing with the naturally existing populations of plants from which they're derived. Plants rely on the transfer of pollen, via insects or the air, to breed and produce offspring, and it's difficult to control how they cross-breed in the wild.
In most cases, it's not yet clear how introduction of the non-native gene would affect wild populations. Critics of genetically modified plant technology cite the need to learn more about the potential long-term impacts of genetically modified plants on the environment before mass-producing them. [--]
Also, scientists have already found cures to cancer, the problem... Pharmaceutical companies will not gain much in profits. It's mind blowing at how they are letting people die just because the cure isn't as expensive as they thought and they can't profit from it.

Last edited by REACTOR; 12-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 AM   #22
seamonkey
spoon eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
Btw, here is one citation:
That's a quote not a cite. The citation is who wrote it, where it's published, what the qualifications of the author are, when it was written...and that's about all I care about.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #23
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Question Re: Bioethics / Nintendo Classics

But coming back to the topic, even if genetically modified foods are proven totally safe, I believe it should be up to the individual countries and the public to decide whether they are safe or not. But with that the scientists need to stop hiding information and make all data public no matter how damning it might seem. After all, genetic modification in this case is not natural. When people say that humans have been practicing genetic modification in agriculture for thousands of years, they are skewing the meaning to fit an agenda. The ancient and centuries old methods of agricultural genetic modification were achieved by cross-breeding plants within the species. The modern methods of genetic modification in agriculture are achieved by trans-genetic means, that is extracting and inserting genes from from more than one species (e.g. various animal and plant organisms) into a crop plant. Who is to say that in the long-term there will be no devastating consequences? To finish off, here is one quote:

Quote:
In 1998, 24 delegates from 18 African countries told the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, “We strongly object that the image of the poor and hungry from our countries is being used by giant multinational corporations to push a technology that is neither safe, environmentally friendly nor economically beneficial to us. We do not believe that such companies or gene technologies will help our farmers to produce the food that is needed in the 21st century. On the contrary, we think it will destroy the diversity, the local knowledge and the sustainable agricultural systems that our farmers have developed for millennia, and that it will thus undermine our capacity to feed ourselves.”
Although "sustainable agricultural systems" may be suspicious as in Africa we have read many news stories of the continuous recession of fertile land over taken by desert due to unsustainable farming practices, I think that they have a right to hold that opinion as nothing from the science world has been transparent. It's as if they have a hidden agenda. For example, if scientists have so much evidence to prove that new technologies such as GM foods are safe, then why are people who are against it being threatened with death for their families and huge outrage has risen over such opinions? If there is so much evidence to prove that global warming is real then why are people who think otherwise being thrown into jail for speaking against it such as in England? Why is there a statue of Vishnu in front of the CERN complex and why does CERN's logo reveal three sixes (666 - the sign of the devil) when unraveled?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #24
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
(A) For example, if scientists have so much evidence to prove that new technologies such as GM foods are safe, then why are people who are against it being threatened with death for their families and huge outrage has risen over such opinions? (B) If there is so much evidence to prove that global warming is real then why are people who think otherwise being thrown into jail for speaking against it such as in England? C Why is there a statue of Vishnu in front of the CERN complex and D why does CERN's logo reveal three sixes (666 - the sign of the devil) when unraveled?
Okay, I don't have time to do the research to address any of the rest of this, but:

A and B) Source? But generally, people tend to get fighty about things they have large emotional or monetary investments in
C) I looked this up. It's an art piece presented by India, with symbolic significance relating to advancing above ignorance and attempting to understand the workings of the universe
D) I don't even have to look this up. It's clearly just meant to look like particle accelerators.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #25
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

the depressing part about this is a few years down the line, REACTOR is going to be denying that an actually tragedy happened

also cern's logo clearly unravels to 999, the emergency service number in england

also also what's wrong with vishnu?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #26
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

It's clearly a conspiracy along the lines of vaporwave trails. Wake up sheep, the devil has allied with vishnu in order to manipulate your food supply.

also nintendo

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 06-06-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote