Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017
Old 03-31-2001, 10:00 PM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Good, bad, or ugly?

(I'm actually only posting this because I want to see how cute the inflatable dog looks next to a post)

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 04-01-2001, 04:00 AM   #2
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I love the inflatable dog, the only thing I have against the new layout is the menu on the side, this kind of crushes everything. I think having the buttons at the top would be more space efficiant. Besides, whenever the mouse moves over a button it bumps things to the side which is a little annoying. I do like the buttons and the new logo.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 08:00 AM   #3
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

See, I was afraid of that. If you have your browser pulled wider, that won't happen, but of course I can't expect everyone to do that. I guess I should remove the lighting up effect... but it's so cute! I'll work around it, I now have a plan.

I actually moved to a side menu to GET more space - there's less scrolling this way, since the first 1/3 of the page isn't taken up with the menu. It's hard to say though, since everybody has their browser arranged differently (and has a different browser - I don't even know how this looks in Netscape!), and is running at different resolutions.

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 04-01-2001, 02:00 PM   #4
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I think it is a bit better that way. You're probably right about the space thing, I'm just being nitpicky. As if you had nothing better to do than change the menus based one persons opinions. Then again, I'll find just about any excuse to post so I can watch my rank go up.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:00 AM   #5
Anonymous
Dumb Person

My browser is expanded, what I mean is, the whole page is now narrower as a result of the buttons. This would actually create more scrolling, provided the page is big enough. I have no clue how big the page has to be before the scrolling you save by not having them at the top is outweighed by you having to scroll further to see the longer narrower page.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:00 AM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Well, for most pages on my site, this way is much cheaper in terms of screen space, because on most pages, it's not just big solid blocks of text, like the journal. A page like that, you get a lot more scrolling as a result of a side bar. But on most pages, there's only a fixed amount of stuff, like the forum front page, or the ordering page, and each line is only a short fixed amount of junk on it, so having the sidebar doesn't actually lengthen a page like that at all. I know this is an overall savings, and the key thing is getting more significant page content right in the face of the visitor right off the bat. Also, I have fixed the menu now though, so it won't be bouncing your page all around anymore! If you're seeing the same old one, hit refresh and be astounded and amazed with the new and improved site!

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com