Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 04-15-2001, 02:00 PM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I'm sorry I had to delete those two threads that were on here, but I just can't have those kinds of lawsuit-inviting discussion on my forum... gotta keep it as safe as possible! For the record, I firmly believe that eGames is not ripping me off... I think if you have a copy of one of the eGames published games, that will shortly lead you to see who exactly I AM unhappy with. As a result, I've stayed away from publishers ever since.

I'm really grateful for the very supportive and pro-Hamumu messages that were posted here, and it feels great to hear those things! I just had to get rid of it to avoid any legal troubles. Thanks for the support!

Mike Hommel

Marshmallow Head, Hamumu Software

http://www.hamumu.com

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 04-15-2001, 06:00 PM   #2
Anonymous
Dumb Person

oops sorry didnt mean to get lawsuits and such going on.
sincerely,
Justin989
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 05:00 AM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I'll second that. I did not realize that was a product they were expecting money for. The installer did mention something about free demos and I thought that meant anything that was not a full version. I think Egames should release a shareware version of this game... it is a nice game and they could make some money off of it. I know I'd buy the full version.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:00 AM   #4
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Hey, I appreciate all that stuff! But I just need to be careful. I think there's a lot of things eGames SHOULD do, but they have pretty much stopped supporting all my products entirely. I guess with the exception of Bouapha, which is on a lot of bundles they still sell. Of course, with Eddie, they can't sell it at all - that was a settlement with Hasbro over the big lawsuit that was going. RIDICULOUS lawsuit!!

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 04-16-2001, 11:00 AM   #5
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Oh yes, that lawsuit. I'm kind of curious, why did that happen anyway? Did Egames stop selling it because Hasbro wanted them to or did they give the rights to Hasbro as compensation for something? What happened, or is it beyond human understanding?
Old 04-16-2001, 02:00 PM   #6
Anonymous
Dumb Person

You mean to say that they, because they are making old Atari remakes, believe they have the right to pull anything that so much resembles Centipede? That is just plain wrong. It sounds to me like they are trying to eliminate compition by getting good lawyers, not outselling them through superior products. How can they copyright something that was made before them anyway? This could wreck loads of games that built on that basic concept but were totally different. I have played both games and know for a fact that Eddie and Centipede have almost nothing in common! You kind of feel sorry for Egames on that one. Well, that's enough ranting, I still don't like Hasbro for crushing Eddie Galaxy.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:00 AM   #7
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Well, Hasbro sued a bunch of companies which made games similar to old arcade games that they had bought the rights to, like centipede, asteroids, and pac-man. They were 100000% in the wrong, and knew it, and were just doing it to hurt these other companies, since a few million dollars spent on that stuff for them is nothing, but it would basically bankrupt these other companies. Hasbro has a LONG history of this stuff, some websites talk about all sorts of different lawsuits they've done.

So, almost every company in the lawsuit eventually just settled with hasbro to pull those games off the shelves. It's a very sad thing.

Of course, that is all my own personal opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com
Old 07-09-2001, 09:00 AM   #8
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

We have had some discussions here at HQ a couple weeks ago along those lines... ones that resulted in the icon I've assigned to this post appearing above my head. Duh!

Mike Hommel

jamul@hamumu.com