Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 09-21-2001, 11:00 AM   #21
Anonymous
Dumb Person

"Give me liberty, or give me death"

Truly we are standing on the shoulders of giants.

Are we going to profane their sacrifices?

Do we as a nation of free people have the spinal column necessary to sustain a long and sacrifice ridden campaign to ensure life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

We may moan and groan before this is all through, but if this generation is anything like the ones before it the answer is a resounding, Yes!

Let the chips fall where they may, this tree of terrorism must come down.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 12:00 AM   #22
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I agree with you George. The world needed to see those towers fall. I agree with what you say about the Arabic people. I agree we are all People. I think that it is time once again for all Americans, regardless of ethnicity, to take the blinders off. The problem is simple enough. The solution is not. I also agree with the President when he drew a line and asked basically, "What side of the line are you on"? The question has to be asked.

If a man/nation is not part of the solution, he/them is part of the problem.

I personally don't care if Osama and his cohorts are purple with yellow spots. I matters not to me.
Old 09-22-2001, 03:00 AM   #23
Anonymous
Dumb Person

George, you may have noticed in my posts I say things like, "It has been reported" and "It appears" because I have seen things reported on CNN, etc. and I do not know if they are true. I have become addicted to the news because I have been trying to make sense of this senseless situation. I do not believe that all Arabs are exactly alike. I do believe that as we are all shell-shocked over this attack, we can help each other by discussing. I believe this is happening on a large scale. For example, do you still hear people talking about bombing Afganistan back to the stoneage? No, because people have educated themselves against their base reaction to lash out. We have been deeply hurt and we are healing...slowly.

CNN had reported that Bin Laden was the single most popular person in that area of the Arab world. True or untrue? I do not know. I do know from video and news reports that in Palestine people were dancing, laughing, passing out sweets, etc. when they learned of the attack. I cannot understand this at all. I know it is not all the people, but I do not understand it at all. I heard that many people "thought we had it coming."

As I have said, it is very complex and I struggle to understand.

I'm thankful that President Bush is handling this in the way he is and that Americans are pulling together and helping each other. I wish that all Americans could pull together and do good.
Old 09-23-2001, 03:00 PM   #24
Anonymous
Dumb Person

As some of you might have guessed (or read in other places on the forum) I was raised to be very liberal. I have never been fond of politicians, particularly not Republican ones. I have been overheard to say some pretty insulting things about George W. But the other night I listened to his speech to congress and I must say that I was impressed and pleasantly surprised. Altho I still question many of his political decisions, I have to give him credit for how he has dealt with this whole situation. I was so afraid that he was going to just start deploying troops and bombing various countries to show his ability to lead. I was reassured by his continuous reminders that we are out to get the perpetrators of these terrorist actions, not innocent people. That altho we are drawing a line between "us" and "them" it is based on beliefs and actions, not race or skin color. I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else that someone said "we need to stand behind our government", but after that 40 minute speech (which I actually listened to from beginning to end) I am ready to do that. Anyone else listen to the speech? Care to share your opinions?

I also want to thank everyone here for keeping their cool and respecting one another while discussing such a volatile topic. As Lisa says, we are all healing. This has been my main source of healing and I thank you for being a part of it.

Peace,

Sol
"if the world is night,

shine my life like a light"

Indigo Girls
Old 09-25-2001, 12:00 AM   #25
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I thought Bush's speech was excellent! I'm sure he had his speech writers hard at work on it, but his delivery was very credible. He believes in the ability of this country (and other countries) to come to grips with this situation and to move forward.

I think part of any president's job is to surround himself with problem-solving people who are intelligent, knowledgeable, and capable. Then he needs to listen, weigh out all possible factors, and make good decisions.

I don't know if any of you had the chance to see "Beneath the Veil" on CNN last night, but it was a real eye-opener. A crew took a hidden video camera into Afghanistan--it was scary. It is supposed to come on again; you should see it!

I tried to find when it replays, but couldn't. I did find the link to the transcript:

www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0109/22/cp.00.html

The actual video is gripping.

Edited by: Lisa at: 9/24/01 12:14:58 pm
Old 09-28-2001, 02:00 PM   #26
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I noted that Lisa found the "Beneath The Veil" documentary an "eye opener". This sort of stuff has been going on for years. An article in the summer 97' issue of Homemaker's Magazine (a small publication likely no one in the USA has ever heard of) called "Veiled Threat" exposed the unbelieveable (at least to me) things that were happening to women under the then relatively new rule of Taliban. 10,000 Canadian readers of this article wrote to our Minister of Foreign Affairs to bring this up at the UN General Assembly in Sept. 97'. Which he did, as well as delivering said letters to Secretary General Kofi Annan. In Nov. 97' a UN delegation was sent to Afghanistan to see the effects and review UN programs there. Many reports have been written and tabled at the UN on this subject. For anybody wishing to read more on this subject there are links to news reports as well as UN and US State Department reports at www.feminist.org/afghan/intro.asp under "News & PR" (news items dating back to Dec. 96') and "Research & Data" (UN and US State Department reports). I know at one time in 99' Mavis Leno helped organise a rally in LA that handed out a reprint of the original Homemaker's article courtesy of the Feminist Majority Foundation, but I don't know where you could get a copy anymore (and I won't infringe on copyright of it). Note 3 things however: I am not a "radical femininist" but certainly enjoy the rights and freedoms Canadian women have, the above web site is the only USA site I know of that been reporting on this subject for years and lastly there is tons of reading in the reports and not for the faint of heart - these are real reports, not propaganda. In 2000, the UN Commission on Human Rights determined the life expectancy for women in Afghanistan was 44 years old and men 43. Is it any wonder 20 to 30 year old terrorists in that area don't worry about suicidal missions? Thanks for letting me get my rant out. Please don't ban me for putting this info out there, Mike & Sol.
Old 09-28-2001, 03:00 PM   #27
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Dont worry about being banned. We aren't anti-politics here...just anti-violence and anti-hatred. You didn't say anything that I consider offensive or nasty. Thanks for the info.

Peace,

Sol
"if the world is night,

shine my life like a light"

Indigo Girls
Old 09-29-2001, 05:00 AM   #28
Anonymous
Dumb Person

"Beneath the Veil" will be rebroadcast on CNN this weekend--both Sat. and Sun. Check your paper for times.

Having recently had my "eyes opened" to many awful things, I think I have been guilty of being a complacent or "fat and happy" American. I'd have the news on while preparing dinner and see glimpses of angry demonstrations in the Mideast and think, "those people over there are crazy--I'm glad they aren't here." That was it for me, I'd go on cooking.

A few years ago there was an episode of "Touched By An Angel" about slavery in Sudan that was very moving. But what could an ordinary person do about it?

I also read in the Readers Digest of reports of slavery within the United States.

Mavis Leno was on Larry King this past week with the journalist that put together "Beneath the Veil" and another woman whose name I cannot remember. Isn't Jay Leno's wife's named Mavis? It was a very interesting show.

Anybody have any thoughts about what we can do about the human (male or female) suffering taking place?
Old 02-16-2002, 06:00 AM   #29
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Remember to Donate to the <u>red cross</u>.