Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Default USA 2012 Elections

So with the end of 2011 looming, the next big event for America is the 2012 Presidential elections. Giving America's size, political clubbing power and it's place in the world economy, this crazy race effects everyone. And since debate threads are fun and profit, view sharing is a idea that may be good.

Being outside of the USA, and therefore less likely to understand your view points without explaination, I'm sort of hoping for more Obama. While he's not exactly the strongest of leaders, he seems better than what the Republicans are offering. However, they might decide to go for a team of only slightly very right-wing, to gain some majorities in both Congress and Senate. Of course if no one gets a double majority, the next four years will be interesting.

Incidentally, the main problem I have with the Republican cadidates is how much they want to give to a) very rich people or b) corporations, both in the form of tax cuts for those who don't need them and removal of regulations, often environmental regulations. The slight fundamentalism doesn't help either.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
magic fly
superpowered fly of failure

Default Re: USA 2012 Elections

I really don't care about voting even though i can now vote. Who's there for me to vote for? the lesser of the evils?
I do know that Obama isn't going to get it again unless he gets very lucky, also do the research and you will find that he wasn't even eligible in the first place.

Politics. The farther away I can get from it, the better.
magic fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

If I could vote, I probably would vote. And yes, Obama wasn't eligible, since he was not born in Hawaii, (clearly) and some other reasons. (I think, IDK)

I'm 83% Republican, and 17% Democrat. I kind of like how obama does some things, but hate how he Allows Abortion and such.
I love how George McCain does stuff, and really think he should have been president. AFAIK, the majority of people that voted for obama were voting for him because he's black.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
darkguyhades
The Fourth Seal

Send a message via ICQ to darkguyhades Send a message via AIM to darkguyhades Send a message via Yahoo to darkguyhades

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic fly View Post
I do know that Obama isn't going to get it again unless he gets very lucky, also do the research and you will find that he wasn't even eligible in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
If I could vote, I probably would vote. And yes, Obama wasn't eligible, since he was not born in Hawaii, (clearly) and some other reasons. (I think, IDK)
I think someone wants to have a word with you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The US Constitution
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President;...
According to wikipedia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Constitution does not define the phrase natural-born citizen, and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. There is general agreement that the term encompasses, as a minimum, anyone born on U.S. soil to U.S. citizen parents. Most scholars and politicians currently agree that the term includes those born on U.S. soil, as well as those born to U.S. citizen parents regardless of place of birth.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

Obama has been pretty ineffective as a president, but the Republican candidates all look even worse. The problem is that the people who are smart enough to make the government work better all have the sense to stay as far away as possible, so we get stuck with idiots running everything instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999
AFAIK, the majority of people that voted for obama were voting for him because he's black.
While that's one reason some people voted for him, it's certainly not the primary reason. The other Democratic candidates dropped out because the polls showed he was more likely to win, and the nation was dissatisfied enough with Bush to want a Democrat instead.

Quote:
also do the research and you will find that he wasn't even eligible in the first place.
The only requirements for him to be eligible for the presidency, according the the Constitution, are that he is a natural-born citizen, that he is at least 35 years old, and that he has been a resident of the US for 14 years. All of these requirements have been satisfied, so I fail to see how he was ineligible.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
So with the end of 2011 looming, the next big event for America is the 2012 Presidential elections. Giving America's size, political clubbing power and it's place in the world economy, this crazy race effects everyone. And since debate threads are fun and profit, view sharing is a idea that may be good.

Being outside of the USA, and therefore less likely to understand your view points without explaination, I'm sort of hoping for more Obama. While he's not exactly the strongest of leaders, he seems better than what the Republicans are offering. However, they might decide to go for a team of only slightly very right-wing, to gain some majorities in both Congress and Senate. Of course if no one gets a double majority, the next four years will be interesting.

Incidentally, the main problem I have with the Republican cadidates is how much they want to give to a) very rich people or b) corporations, both in the form of tax cuts for those who don't need them and removal of regulations, often environmental regulations. The slight fundamentalism doesn't help either.
First, just to make this clear, tax cuts for the wealthy are, to a certain extent, good for the economy. If I make $300,000 a year (putting me in the upper class), and the upper class income rate is 35%, then I'm paying a bit over $100k in income tax. One of the tax cuts being proposed is a 10% tax cut--if I'm the one getting that tax cut, that's $10,000 worth of spending money being put back into the economy.

Of course, the liberals, the media, and a good percentage of the public want to believe that give the rich the 10% tax break means that they'll have to cover that 10%. Not true. The government does not have to meet a set amount of tax money each year. Even if the government loses money due to the cuts initially, the money the economy gains due to the cuts will eventually raise the spending power of the dollar again--which makes paying off the federal deficit a lot easier.

Tax cuts doesn't mean that cuts have to be made to public and social programs either. There are plenty of sections of government that can still operate with less funding. How about the military, for example? Guess how much a modern aircraft carrier costs? $15 billion dollars. And guess what? A $10 million missile developed by China can easily sink one of these $15 billion carriers before the the carrier is even in range to launch it's aircraft. These ships were high-tech during World War II. Not in 2011.

America is the ONLY country in the world with more than one aircraft carrier. These giant ships are ineffective in modern combat, and only serve as a display of power--an expensive one. It would be much more cost-effective if the military developed smaller, cheaper ships equipped with drones--which are not only more effective than modern aircraft, but cheaper as well. This isn't even the only way to cut back on defense spending--there are so many unnecessary, costly, and inefficient programs being run today that could easily be cut or modified with little problem.

As far as the election goes, it entirely depends on who wins the Republican nomination. I tend to be more conservative on most issues, but there are very few good candidates on the Republican side. However, at the same time, I'm not an Obama fan. He has not done a good job of fixing the economy, the health-care bill was horrible, and so on and so forth.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Since I was massively ninja'd while typing that big wall-of-text...
Quote:
I really don't care about voting even though i can now vote. Who's there for me to vote for? the lesser of the evils?

Politics. The farther away I can get from it, the better.
Not every candidate is necessarily "evil." Right now, all the possible Republican candidates HAVE to be extremely conservative in order to win the republican nomination. If you really want to see how someone might do in office, look at their voting records for past legislation. Which way have they voted on certain issues? Looking at how they voted helps give us a better picture of their opinions then campaign ads ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post

I'm 83% Republican, and 17% Democrat. I kind of like how obama does some things, but hate how he Allows Abortion and such.
I love how George McCain does stuff, and really think he should have been president. AFAIK, the majority of people that voted for obama were voting for him because he's black.
Okay, first, Obama was eligible, which as already been discussed. Second, the president has NO power over abortion and other issues. (And if somebody told you that he did, I wouldn't listen to any future political advice that person gives) He does not have absolute power. Only the legislative branch has the ability to outlaw abortion (through passing a law). The Supreme Court may also have the power to do that, depending on interpretation of the Constitution. However, the president has no control over this issue, besides the power to veto a law on abortion that may be passed by Congress.

And Third, I know nobody who voted for Obama just because he's black. Are there some people who did? I'm sure there were. However, not enough to win him the election on their own. A majority of the population wanted a change from the Bush administration and voted for Obama. That's really what it comes down to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseLord View Post
Obama has been pretty ineffective as a president, but the Republican candidates all look even worse. The problem is that the people who are smart enough to make the government work better all have the sense to stay as far away as possible, so we get stuck with idiots running everything instead.
Again, look at voting records. Candidates are all going to be very conservative right now to win the nomination, and negative ads never help things.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
magic fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguyhades View Post
According to wikipedia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Constitution does not define the phrase natural-born citizen, and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. There is general agreement that the term encompasses, as a minimum, anyone born on U.S. soil to U.S. citizen parents. Most scholars and politicians currently agree that the term includes those born on U.S. soil, as well as those born to U.S. citizen parents regardless of place of birth.
What scholars and politicians tend to agree on isn't fact.
Even if he is as politicians claim, i don't trust him one bit. Why would he withhold his birth certificate for so long if he didn't have anything to hide?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
First, just to make this clear, tax cuts for the wealthy are, to a certain extent, good for the economy. If I make $300,000 a year (putting me in the upper class), and the upper class income rate is 35%, then I'm paying a bit over $100k in income tax. One of the tax cuts being proposed is a 10% tax cut--if I'm the one getting that tax cut, that's $10,000 worth of spending money being put back into the economy.
Blanket tax cuts for the wealthy don't, as a general rule, give a good incentive to spend more money. They make more money available, but we've seen in the past that it doesn't tend to be spent. That said, it wouldn't be that difficult to provide incentives for spending more money, particularly when it's used to create new businesses or otherwise fund employment.

Quote:
Of course, the liberals, the media, and a good percentage of the public want to believe that give the rich the 10% tax break means that they'll have to cover that 10%. Not true. The government does not have to meet a set amount of tax money each year. Even if the government loses money due to the cuts initially, the money the economy gains due to the cuts will eventually raise the spending power of the dollar again--which makes paying off the federal deficit a lot easier.
As it turns out, consumer spending doesn't have any effect on the federal deficit. The proof requires some knowledge of macroeconomics, but I can give it if you need it.

[/QUOTE]
Tax cuts doesn't mean that cuts have to be made to public and social programs either. There are plenty of sections of government that can still operate with less funding. How about the military, for example? Guess how much a modern aircraft carrier costs? $15 billion dollars. And guess what? A $10 million missile developed by China can easily sink one of these $15 billion carriers before the the carrier is even in range to launch it's aircraft. These ships were high-tech during World War II. Not in 2011.

America is the ONLY country in the world with more than one aircraft carrier. These giant ships are ineffective in modern combat, and only serve as a display of power--an expensive one. It would be much more cost-effective if the military developed smaller, cheaper ships equipped with drones--which are not only more effective than modern aircraft, but cheaper as well. This isn't even the only way to cut back on defense spending--there are so many unnecessary, costly, and inefficient programs being run today that could easily be cut or modified with little problem.
[/QUOTE]
We do tend to waste money on the military. It's political showmanship, pure and simple. That money could certainly be put to better use elsewhere.

Quote:
Even if he is as politicians claim, i don't trust him one bit. Why would he withhold his birth certificate for so long if he didn't have anything to hide?
Paranoia and conspiracy theories accomplish very little. Whether or not you accept his claim, the Supreme Court does, and they have the final say as to whether or not he is eligible.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
darkguyhades
The Fourth Seal

Send a message via ICQ to darkguyhades Send a message via AIM to darkguyhades Send a message via Yahoo to darkguyhades

Quote:
Unless you have a time machine or some sort of mass resurrection device, it's impossible to get the "fact" of what the founding fathers intended, so this is the best we can get.

Quote:
He didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehouse.gov
In 2008, in response to media inquiries, the Presidentís campaign requested his birth certificate from the state of Hawaii. The state sent the campaign the Presidentís birth certificate, the same legal documentation provided to all Hawaiians as proof of birth in state, and the campaign immediately posted it on the internet.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
magic fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguyhades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic fly

He didn't.
i think you may be mistaking Certificate of Live Birth with Birth Certificate.
he released the certificate of live birth in 2008, not the birth certificate.

"
One can get a “Certificate of Live Birth” with its minimal documentation. The date of birth can be any date the person enters, This document can be used to then establish citizenship for the purpose of getting a passport, but its lack of physically identifying information found on the "Birth Certificate" precludes it from being useful in proving "Natural Born" status.
"

@sonic
yea, i know that not every candidate is evil. but for the most part, none are good choices which is what i meant to say.

Last edited by Jamul; 11-03-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: inappropriate link
Old 11-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

I am amazing at SC's comments. Its good to know someone elses opinion almost completely coincides with mine(on this topic anyway). I'm not a particular fan of some of the Obama polices but get over it, whether he is a illegitimate president or not he is leading the country at this point. If you don't like whats going on try to do something about it, don't just sit at home complaining on the inter-webs about how you don't just disagree with his policies but you don't even believe he is a legal president. When it comes down to it it doesn't matter. I'm not saying you don't have to agree with him, just make sure you target his policies, not him himself.

Last edited by texasjoshua; 11-03-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: psudoedit
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjoshua View Post
When it comes down to it it doesn't matter. I'm not saying you don't have to agree with him, just make sure you target his policies, not him himself.
This this this. One of many problems in today's politics is the constant negative attacks from both parties. These attacks, for the most part, focus on the person rather than the policies and opinions. However, people buy into them, and, being bombarded by negative images of both candidates, end up voting for the "best of the worst."

Here's a bit of an exaggerated example showing the general concept. You have two candidates for president, who I'm just going to call X and Y since I'm horrible coming up with names. Candidate X's policies, for the most part, are excellent. He has a clear idea of what's wrong with the country and how to fix it. Candidate Y, on the other hand, recognizes what's wrong with the country, but his plans for fixing it are completely misguided. Candidate X, based on policies alone, is clearly the better choice.

However, then say that a negative ad sponsored by candidate Y reveals that candidate X once had an addiction to an illegal drug. Now, X has been sober for many years--but the negative ad, of course, doesn't mention that. Now many people see X as a drug addict and think he isn't fit to run the country, and so they vote for Y even though they don't agree with his policies.

Culture has changed in over the past couple decades. The media would rather concern itself with the latest celebrity scandal then military operations in the Middle East. Personal life is now in the spotlight of politics rather than political policy. In order to reverse this change, people need to start taking the initiative to become educated on modern issues instead of waiting for somebody to tell us about it. You want to help fix this country? Then stop complaining about how horrible politicians are, because when you do, you're buying into the constant stream of negative ads that focus on the person. Instead, look up voting records. See how candidates voted on issues that matter to you. They can lie about all sorts of things--but their voting record speaks for itself.

EDIT: Note that this post isn't directed at anybody in particular, nor is it designed to offend anybody.

Last edited by sonicchaos1993; 11-03-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
seamonkey
spoon eater

Wow. A lot more conservative than I would of expected... Few thoughts.
1. If I offend anyone (which I try desperately to avoid), I apologize. Politics tends to do that.
2. Honestly the debate about whether he is legitimate or not is rather inane. That is probably the last thing we should be worrying about. And I'm going to be honest: that seems like something a neo-con would say to discredit him.
3. the debate about the birth certificate is inane as well. Honestly I would be somewhat offended by claims like these, and if I were pres (not aspiring for that particular job), I would probably react the same way.
4. CL is correct. Money availability is not necessarily a product of taxes.
5. The stuff about ineffectiveness is interesting to me. He has done a lot. START, (<-one of my favorites), Healthcare, closing Guantanamo, starting an infrastructure reform, starting military withdrawal from the ME. He came close to energy reform.
6. Yeah, I'll be able to vote by then, and Obama will be the one. (I have a feeling Romney will be the republican candidate. It's just a question of how long Perry can hold him off. I'm hoping long)

Hmm...bout wraps it up...
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
Megadog
The Demagogue

Considering I don't like to involve myself in politics too much, I only have one thing to say. How is allowing abortion wrong? It abides to all religions (Christians don't HAVE to have them if their religion disagrees.) where as banning it can make peoples lives much much worse.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #16
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

As somebody who follows politics very closely, I figure I should make a large wall of text in this thread to respond/talk to/about some things.

First of all, are people really still talking about the birther issuer? REALLY? That's all that needs to be said about that. As far as for electing somebody just because of skin color, I think that aspect got blown way out of proportions because people said blacks would vote for him because he's black too, even if blacks nowadays tend to vote for Democrats anyways. There was also talks of people not voting for him because of skin color, which is also silly because the people who wouldn't have voted for him because of that wouldn't have voted for a Democrat anyways.

Secondly, I think the great majority of Republicans that are in the primary are completely unreasonable when it comes to taxes. Currently the top bracket for the US for income and corporate tax is 35%. Mitt Romney (former governor of Massachusetts) wants to bring top corporate tax down to 25%. Rick Perry (governor of Texas), on the other hand, wants to bring it down to 20%. You thought bringing it down 15% so far was a lot? NO SIR, we're just getting started! Newt Gingrich (former Speaker of the House ) on the other hand, wouldn't let himself be outdone, so he wants to lower it to 15/12.5%. What Gingrich didn't plan on was a complete elbow from the sky by the part of Herman Cain (former businessman), who is proposing his 9/9/9 plan which brings it down to 9%. You thought Herman Cain was top of the ring? I mean really, who could cut such a large part of the revenue by 26%? Well here comes Rick Santorum (former senator for Pennsylvania) with his 0/0/0 plan! Keep in mind that income tax accounts for ~40% of US revenue and the Corporate tax accounts for ~10% (Source, based off 2010 results). This would essentially take away a large part of the revenue side of the US government.

However, Obama hasn't been the best president either. He spends the great majority of his time trying to appease Republicans (which has never happened), or trying to appeal independents. The problem for him is that he hasn't managed to please anybody in particular, and his approval rating is dropping. Some of his commonly named failures include extending the Bush Era tax cuts and failing to close Guantanamo. Another big thing that turned away a lot of folks was the Grand Bargain (Obama's plan in the debt ceiling negotiations) which was a complete disaster and a capitulation on nearly every democratic principal, which includes making the deal have no tax increases, have cuts to social security/medicare, not to mention some 2-3 trillion in cuts. It's not like Obama hasn't had some successes, such as the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell which now means more troops can participate in the military if they want to, Race to the Top which increases funding to education, and Obama's stimulus package (even if in my opinion it wasn't large enough of a stimulus, whereas other say it was too much, it's still something he passed). However he has done very little of what people wanted to see from him for having a majority in both houses for two years.

As far as the military goes, I agree the US spends WAY too much money on military, which is very evident in the myriad graphs that show it such as this one. In fact, the US throws so much money into military activities that you oten hear stories about money getting lost (or as some would argue "lost") in places like the Pentagon. This money should be used instead for better things such as post-secondary education.

For taxes, I think top bracket corporate and mainly income tax should be increased, but a lot of the problems come from tax loopholes that companies abuse, which has a result of them paying negative tax rates (low tax rates via loopholes + subsidies from government), and rich investors such as Warren Buffet abusing the capital gains tax to pay less than 15% tax on their income. Not to mention lower taxes generally results in more income inequality in nations which is shown to have negative effects on many fronts.

One of the the biggest problems with US politics these days is the incredible lack of campaign financing rules compared to the great majority of other nations, which leads to a lot of corruption (which is very evident on many issues). People have noticed that the fundamentals of how US politics are run aren't working, which is why the US Congress has a meager 13% approval rating, and you see a lot of protests about this issue in the Occupy movements across the Us.

For the primaries, I think Mitt Romney will win the Republican primary because unlike Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann and what now seems to be Herman Cain, he's the only one who hasn't crashed in approval rating after becoming a front runner. There is still a lot of leg room for the field to change however, because some polls show that up to 87% of Republicans still aren't sure who they're voting for and 43% wish somebody else would enter the race. (Source). This is also the reason why you see so many people rise up in approval and fall back down.

Lastly, I'm not sure who will win the general elections because Obama's not doing very well, but then again the Republicans are doing worst. In my opinion, if things keep going the way they are now, you'll end up seeing record low voter turnout, and usually in cases like that the party that can mobilize their voters the most wins (which in the majority of cases across the world are the Conservatives), but you could just as easily see people being unsure on who to vote for so they just vote for change, no matter who it is, or vote for Obama again just to stick with the same.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #17
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Why are the first to posts about baseless conspiracy theories? GB is meant to be an on topic forum.

Since the military bidget has come up, fun fact: NASA's entire cumulative buget since it's creation to now is about equal to the yearly US military budget. Said budget is larger than the next nine largest budgets combined.

In short, the USA has spent too much money trying to stablize two countries which they only care about because terrorists were there once.

Also, the economy isn't the only thing a President has to worry about. The USA is a big place and has lots of issues.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #18
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

This is why I can't support Obama:
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...-public-square
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...zing-marijuana
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Considering I don't like to involve myself in politics too much, I only have one thing to say. How is allowing abortion wrong? It abides to all religions (Christians don't HAVE to have them if their religion disagrees.) where as banning it can make peoples lives much much worse.
I personally never looked at it as something religious. Cold-blood murder is what I always thought it was.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #20
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
I personally never looked at it as something religious. Cold-blood murder is what I always thought it was.
Let's follow this train of thought to it's (il)logical conclusion.

Assume abortion is murder.
Manslaughter is effectively unintended murder.
Therefore, miscarriages are Manslaughter.
Ergo, every women who has a miscarriage must be sentenced, because [deity of choice] knows that miscarriages don't come with enough emotion trauma.

The rest of my anti-anti-abortion arguments are Hamumu unfriedly. Well the 'fetuses ain't people most of the time' argument is there, I suppose.