Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 09-07-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Default People need to be much more careful with information they reveal online.

I usually am the one who complains that parents, etc are overreacting to their kids using the internet. However, I have noticed, a lot of young kids are misusing it horribly.
I wanted to reproduce the requirements for a crime, for science's sake. I went to facebook, to some random online friends of a friend, and looked that the "info" part of their page. They had actually put the name of their school there. I proceeded to search for that on Google, and then Google maps, and I found the exact location of that school. I could even see photos of it in google street view. Now, think of the experiment done the bad way:

Criminal Bob opens facebook, and goes to the profile of the 13 year old girl he randomly added on facebook, who added him back, because one of her 300 friends was a mutual friend of his. Criminal bob sees the name of her school, and google maps it. He goes there, and checks out Google street view to confirm it is the right place. Of course, Criminal bob also knows what the girl looks like, since she has posted about 100 photos on facebook.

Do you want Criminal bob coming to your school and waiting for you outside? No? Then DO NOT REVEAL SUCH INFORMATION ON FACEBOOK AND SITES LIKE THAT!

Last edited by Jamul; 09-07-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: removed "discuss"
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Default Re: People need to be much more careful with information they reveal online.

I don't actually use Facebook, so I'm not really sure how it works over there but I believe you can leave that entry field blank, or just make that others can't see it unless they're your friend. I can only imagine that the "school" field is for people to know that they're not just some random other person. Say Youngster Joey just added me on Facebook, and I have no clue who he is. I go on his profile and read that he's from my school, so I know that there's no harm in adding him (or so he wants me to think. Next thing I know I'm getting a million phone calls a day from him telling me about how his Rattata is in the top percentile of Rattatas).

I imagine you could only get that information because this was a friend of your friend, and they had the option that friends of friends can see information and pictures of them enabled. Otherwise, you'd probably see a page that tells you that you need to add them to get their information/pictures.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Re: People need to be much more careful with information they reveal online.

You could also be smart and just don't add people you don't know.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduck View Post
I don't actually use Facebook, so I'm not really sure how it works over there but I believe you can leave that entry field blank, or just make that others can't see it unless they're your friend. I can only imagine that the "school" field is for people to know that they're not just some random other person. Say Youngster Joey just added me on Facebook, and I have no clue who he is. I go on his profile and read that he's from my school, so I know that there's no harm in adding him (or so he wants me to think. Next thing I know I'm getting a million phone calls a day from him telling me about how his Rattata is in the top percentile of Rattatas).

I imagine you could only get that information because this was a friend of your friend, and they had the option that friends of friends can see information and pictures of them enabled. Otherwise, you'd probably see a page that tells you that you need to add them to get their information/pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
You could also be smart and just don't add people you don't know.
Exactly. That girl is a friend of the girlfriend of an online friend of mine, about ten countries away from me. You sure can be careful and allow friends to view it, but if you accept requests from basically anyone, "Only Friends" does not mean anything, since Criminal bob could add you, wait for a day so you accept, and then do the criminal things. Now, before you ask why in the world I added her, yeah, for the sake of science. And yeah, you can leave that blank, which is in fact, the ONLY LOGICAL thing to do, since if you need to meet someone at your school, you can give them the address personally.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Angry Re: People need to be much more careful with information they reveal online.

Yeah, I totally agree, PE. And you know, I use facebook except I have my Privacy Settings on so that some Criminal comes on my page, and can ONLY send me a Message, or ask me to be My friend. I only become friends with People I know In REAL LIFE, or just someone that I'm related to. And, I don't have a Facebook Picture. But NOOO, People just think that Facebook is DANGEROUS because it's ALL THEIR FAULT for Not turning the Privacy Settings on.

I rest my case.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

There are allegations, (of course) that Facebook sell their databases to mass-marketing corporations, hence the paranoia.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

What these kids need is to not have an email address until they reach teen years. Then it becomes dramatically harder to join forums or other sites. And really, if you let your child use social networking, you really need to moniter it. I mean, people are dumb. Instead of going, 'Man these people from my school can't even get the guts to bully my correctly and are doing it on a site I'm not even on', they go all 'me shoot you brap brap'. Then drawn the attention of the Net at large, leading to stuff. Cyberbullying is only bad when an extension of normal bullying, and able to hit the target. I don't want you Facebook, Myspace, Twitter or MyTwitBook. Otherwise it's blockable and laughable. Then again, I've been tainted by sampling bais, of complete separating Offline and Online out of a handfull of situations.

And more internet sadety learning is needed. You don't let kids out on the road without safety talks do you? Parents don't ay, 'okay Timmy go play out by the motorway' unless most liking count as negilent. The Internet is hazardous. Motorway hazardous. Stalkers, Memes, and crazy 'art' is out to get you.

So, what I'm saying is, why don't America have media sales laws, and why don't parents parent? It can't be that hard to see what your child is up to. Control-H solves everythinng. Other than private browsing. But children wouldn't think of that if their being on MyTwitBook.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

Cyberbullying shouldn't and probably couldn't be considered a crime. In my PERSONAL OPINION if you can't take a joke/can't take criticism/get easily offended you shouldn't be deep in the internet just yet.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma View Post
Cyberbullying shouldn't and probably couldn't be considered a crime. In my PERSONAL OPINION if you can't take a joke/can't take criticism/get easily offended you shouldn't be deep in the internet just yet.
Cyberbullying is exactly what it's called - bullying over the internet. If bullying is a crime, cyberbullying should be as well, for that reason.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma View Post
There is a difference between a joke and bullying. If I do not want people to make jokes at me, it is my right to demand that, and it is also my right to contact authorities should they continue.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
death
Banned

no it isn't. the internet exists in more than one country. therefore, no one country's law applies there.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Julian
Is a ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
no it isn't. the internet exists in more than one country. therefore, no one country's law applies there.
Actually, the laws of the country you're in apply to you connecting to and using the website, and the laws of the country the website's server is in apply to the website (as well as your use of it).
Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
death
Banned

what you just said is a paradox...
Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Not really, it means that
if Website is in country A
and you are in country B
Website abides by country A's laws
You abide by country A's laws, plus country B's laws.
Sure if those laws contradict each other, I guess you would have no permission to view the website or something.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
seamonkey
spoon eater

what laws could contradict though? (e.g. A says no soliciting for money, B doesn't, you would follow A's laws)
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Julian
Is a ninja

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
Not really, it means that
if Website is in country A
and you are in country B
Website abides by country A's laws
You abide by country A's laws, plus country B's laws.
Sure if those laws contradict each other, I guess you would have no permission to view the website or something.
Pretty much what Pumpkineater said - you can't use a website for purposes illegal in the country you're in OR the country it's hosted in, and it can't do anything illegal in the country it's hosted in.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
death
Banned

whatever, I agree that information should be shared carefully, but honestly; insane criminals aren't going to go on facebook looking for victims. they're going to go out on a street, pick a person, and there you go! crime commited.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #18
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
nsane criminals aren't going to go on facebook looking for victims. they're going to go out on a street, pick a person, and there you go! crime commited.
They might. Thos kind of attitude is putting you in danger. I'm pretty sure Snopes confirmed at least one of those 'social network killers' rumours.

Cyberbullying isn't that bad because of ignorability. But it becomes harassment when you start giving out personal details on certain sites and take it into real life.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

"Cyberbullying" is still bullying. The problem is understanding what's a joke/constructive criticism or an attempt at such/accidentally offending someone and what's actual "cyberbullying".
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #20
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

From Hyperme's Dictionary

Cyberbullying:

1. The act of carrying bullying from real life onto the internet via methods such as E-mail or social networking.
2. The act of bullying someone you know via the internet because you're too much of a coward to do it in person.

See also: Trolling, Flaming, Criminal Harassment

tl;dr - Cyberbullies you know in person are a) needing to dealt with if bullying is offline too or b) cowards.

If you don't know the person personally it's flaming/trolling