Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 11-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #241
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Default Re: Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

It's time for a mega-reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elia1995 View Post
What I'm trying to say is: a "cloud" feature would be great for these games, why don't we try to put up a good cloud service that let's you upload your profile the first time you purchase the game and then everytime you have to reinstall the game, let's you download your profile with your save and progress to go on ? Something like Steam's cloud servers that save your games progress in their cloud servers and download them when you reinstall the games.
While this would certainly be a cool feature, it isn't going to happen. Jamul probably doesn't have time to dedicate to building and maintaining this, and neither do I for the reason that it is possible to simply manually backup your profiles to any existing cloud service or indeed your own hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Other ideas:
1 - Invisibility tags for monsters and items
2 - Easier color changes without making new JSPs; multiple color changes preferably, although I'm not sure if that's possible
3 - New level flags for heavy rain and snow. The current ones (snow especially) have very few particles, it seems like it would be nice to have options for blizzard or storm type levels where there's a lot more of the particles

4 - Also, this is a tough one to change but adding extra spaces in the editor menu for tile, wall, item, and monster selections would be super helpful.
This is what I'm talking about:
1 - Could you describe what you want out of this and why in more detail?
2 - Multiple color changes are certainly technically possible, but would take a fair amount of effort. JSP editing seems like the easiest solution for now.
3 - I investigated these and ran up against the particle limit, an increase of which caused some significant slowdowns. I'll look into whether this can be optimized further.
4 - This was a pretty easy change for floor and will be in the next update. The rest would require a more significant UI rearrangement and may or may not get changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
while (V0 == 1)
{
V1++
};

What would happen if you left this sort of argument running for some time in Dr L SWC? Would it crash? Or is there some safety valve which can stop it from getting too far ahead itself?
I'm not sure on the exact technicalities of how this is supposed to work according to the C++ standard, but what happens in practice is that the variable will reach 2147483647 (2^31 - 1) and then wrap around to -2147483648 and continue upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedxzas View Post
Dig man seems to have the water hose glitching around, as if the hose tries to point in the direction the arrows/joystick is pointing, but whenever it gets to that direction it teleports towards almost the opposite direction, then continues trying to point in the correct direction. This causes no chance of precision, and I know it's a glitch because once in a while it does work. I don't know if this was in previous versions but it probably should be looked into.
I've tested this on a few occasions and haven't been able to reproduce it. I'll keep at it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedxzas View Post
Just discovered a new bug: I got gallery goal #027 for buying everything except for world hunger, of which I payed only 20,000 coins worth. Aren't you supposed to get the whole statue for 70,000 coins?
This is indeed a bug; #027 should only be received for 100%ing the shop. It's possible that some of the monsters that were previously hidden but are now available in Body Parts are somehow interfering with shop code. I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheResonte View Post
Is it possible to change it so that the effect "Set Life" can have it's value be a variable? (V# and G#)
There's a trick to this: tag the monster and then use the variable TL in a pair of specials to reduce or increase the monster's health until it reaches the desired value.

Quote:
For me, the game makes my second monitor glitching due to the in-game resolution, after all we're in 2015 and the game might use some new resolutions support.
That's what happens: if I want, for example, have a guide or something on my second monitor, once I run the game the window gets all squashed out or overlapped by other stuff, this can be fixed by adding new resolutions support to the game, aswell as a Borderless fullscreen mode.
What's keeping you guys from a big update at the engine level ?
As you've discovered in another thread, "window" is the command-line parameter to pass to use windowed mode. As you also noted, it's quite tiny compared to today's screen resolutions. I'll see if I can get some upscaling going, but it might be a little tricky.

Quote:
- As already HappyStikBeaver mentioned, an enhanced UI for the editor, with more space for tiles, items, enemies, an on/off option for mouse edge scrolling (that thing has always been bugging me since the first ever Dr. Lunatic), an overall redesigned tileset system and a "search" feature for items and mobs, new Specials, as throughout these years I've noticed there are still a lot of ideas hard to make through specials, for example an unlimited set of triggers and effects section would be a good start, letting you put as many triggers and effects you want in a SINGLE special; I could help with the design of the new editor UI, as I already have an idea pictured in my mind.
Lots of interesting ideas! I think that a toggle for mouse edge scrolling would be pretty reasonable. There's already been an increase in triggers and effects per special since the 7.8 release, but in order to keep file format compatibility it can't really be increased past its current 8 triggers and 32 effects. The interface could definitely be improved, and I have some thoughts, but I'd love to see a sketch from you. This would be pretty complicated and take a while to implement, though.

Quote:
- An Options menu with basic settings (seriously, why has there NEVER been a settings menu ?!).
What kind of stuff would you want to see in a settings menu?

Quote:
- "Create your character" and custom characters support, with a community support based like the worlds system, THAT would be cool.
Interesting, but seems like it'd be more complicated to implement than the end result would be worth.

Quote:
EDIT: An alpha channel support with PNG tiles would be nice
How are you loading tiles from PNG files? (Or do you mean that you'd like to be able to?) Seems like whatever you're using to do the conversion to BMP should be responsible for turning transparent pixels into the pure-black color (RGB 0,0,0 or palette index 0) which the game interprets as transparent in roof tiles.

And finally, here are some changes which I believe I have not yet announced anywhere else which will be included in the next update:
- Fixed the profile menu showing non-profile files
- Fix the camera zooming awkwardly across the map when the player is started in a location other than AUTO in a "Goto Level" or "Win Level" effect
- Fix what I believe to be a bug regarding phantom monsters bumping into walls triggering specials in exceedingly rare cases

There's no timeframe on the next update. It'll be whenever I think it's ready, then when Jamul has time to post it after that.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #242
Elia1995
Dumb Person

Send a message via MSN to Elia1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
What kind of stuff would you want to see in a settings menu?
Well, basic stuff, such as Sound volume, music volume, master (both at once) volume, maybe also some mouse sensitivity setting for the pointer (I dunno, I don't feel quite comfy with how the pointer moves while I work in the editor, it used to be way better back in the past and with older hardware, but now it moves "choppy" even though it isn't the right term here) would be a good start, then if you manage to finally implement them, resolution selection, aswell as "borderless fullscreen", "fullscreen" and "windowed" toggle... basic stuff that every game has in its options menu.

As for the new editor UI, I'll make a quick sketch for you as I have some time, just bear with me because I don't have good drawing skills at all, but an UI wouldn't be so hard to draw

EDIT: AH YES, I almost forgot !!! What about a ZOOM feature for the editor with scrollwheel support ??? I know all of that new stuff for a 2002-like game is a LOT, but it would make it way more modern and "still alive".
Maybe at some point, we could try to work out an actual editor software separated from the game with more features (but leaving the one in-game aswell)...

Last edited by Elia1995; 11-28-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Elia1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #243
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up Dr. Lunatic 8.0 Beta and Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemaniac
here are some changes which I believe I have not yet announced anywhere else which will be included in the next update:
- Fixed the profile menu showing non-profile files
- Fix the camera zooming awkwardly across the map when the player is started in a location other than AUTO in a "Goto Level" or "Win Level" effect
- Fix what I believe to be a bug regarding phantom monsters bumping into walls triggering specials in exceedingly rare cases
Quote:
4 - This was a pretty easy change for floor and will be in the next update.
All good to hear. Especially the extra tile spaces.
Quote:
1 - Could you describe what you want out of this and why in more detail?
I can't remember specifically why I brought this up. I think it had to do with placing skele-tons behind walls to get their earthquake effect, without the player seeing them. Of course, there's already a few ways to get around that so it's not very important.

To expand on some editor tricks I'd like to see (some of which have been mentioned previously):
1. If there's no way to deactivate cursor side-scrolling, I'd really like to see it deactivated when on an options menu (editing specials, choosing tiles, etc.). Right now if you go to a menu, the map still scrolls around if you touch the edge of the screen.
2. As Elia1995 mentioned, a zoom function would be really incredible. I have a feeling it would be very impossible as well (due to scaling and whatnot) but if it's possible it would really modernize the editor.
3. I still think some new recoloring functions would be nice if you get around to it. Otherwise some new JSPedit updates would be well received.

That's all I can remember as of now. No matter what I'm just glad to see there's still some updates being made.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 11-28-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #244
Elia1995
Dumb Person

Here's a new idea I just came up with: why not WASD support to scroll the editor ? Because when I use the mouse, I feel more natural to use WASD with my left hand in order to pan around screen and characters in games.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #245
Elia1995
Dumb Person

While I'm making the new HUD sketch for the "2.0 editor" on Photoshop, here are a few ideas I just quickly made on Photoshop (note: they are just ideas, that doesn't mean they're actually possible, maybe if we move on a standalone editor software not limited by the Allegro engine, it could be).

I will eventually (if SpaceManiac allows me to) make a completely separate thread from this entirely focused on the discussion of the editor new features and improvements ideas.

Last edited by Elia1995; 11-29-2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Made the screenshot under spoiler tags to make the post smaller
Elia1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #246
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Actually, I have an improvement to suggest. I have noticed that although the "change monster name" function in the Editor allows you to enter long names for various monsters, text which is close to the thirty-two character limit doesn't show very well in monster health bars. A bit of text is displayed outside the boundary as the whole string does not usually fit into the pre-defined bar. Could this be improved?

Edit: Also, I have a bug to report. When an item is created to have the quality of being bulletproof, the flying class of monsters cannot pass through such items.

Last edited by REACTOR; 07-04-2016 at 01:31 AM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:48 AM   #247
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs up

The monster name function is a tough fix considering each character takes up a different amount of space. For example a name consisting of all 'M's will be a lot longer than one with 'I's. You'd have to implement some way to check the health bar display or automatically adjust the kerning/letter width and those are pretty advanced tasks for the engine (I'm assuming). Usually I just check myself and keep the names of entities simple.

As for the bulletproof tag, I believe that's an intentional feature. Flying monsters are supposed to be restricted by bulletproof objects like trees, otherwise it would be way too hard to build a level around them.

Also I want to say that all of Elia1995's suggestions in their image are supported by me.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 07-04-2016 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:12 AM   #248
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
The monster name function is a tough fix considering each character takes up a different amount of space. For example a name consisting of all 'M's will be a lot longer than one with 'I's. You'd have to implement some way to check the health bar display or automatically adjust the kerning/letter width and those are pretty advanced tasks for the engine (I'm assuming). Usually I just check myself and keep the names of entities simple.

As for the bulletproof tag, I believe that's an intentional feature. Flying monsters are supposed to be restricted by bulletproof objects like trees, otherwise it would be way too hard to build a level around them.

Also I want to say that all of Elia1995's suggestions in their image are supported by me.
But what if the monster health bar is extended by several pixels to accommodate for long names instead of doing complicated features like those mentioned above?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #249
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Actually, I have an improvement to suggest. I have noticed that although the "change monster name" function in the Editor allows you to enter long names for various monsters, text which is close to the thirty-two character limit doesn't show very well in monster health bars. A bit of text is displayed outside the boundary as the whole string does not usually fit into the pre-defined bar. Could this be improved?
I would recommend just taking the size of the health bar into account when naming monsters. I don't see the need as pressing enough to warrant redoing any graphics.

Quote:
Edit: Also, I have a bug to report. When an item is created to have the quality of being bulletproof, the flying class of monsters cannot pass through such items.
This is absolutely intended behavior.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote