Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017
Old 05-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Default Termites Source

I've tried to modify the Termites source as suggested in the readme, but its promise
Quote:
It should compile right off in windows, no problem.
doesn't hold true. At the top of the tinyptc.cpp:
Code:
//
// TinyPTC by Gaffer
// www.gaffer.org/tinyptc
//
#include "tinyptc.h"
#include "convert.h"
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#include "ddraw.h"
is a reference to the DirectDraw header file, which I acquired by downloading and installing the March 2008 release of the DirectX SDK from the Microsoft website.

Once I did that, I got this message when building it in Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition:

Quote:
1>------ Build started: Project: Termites, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>tinyptc.cpp
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(152) : warning C4244: 'initializing' : conversion from 'WPARAM' to 'int', possible loss of data
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(195) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'LRESULT' to 'int', possible loss of data
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(223) : error C2664: 'LoadLibraryW' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char [10]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1> Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(311) : error C2664: 'LoadIconW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'const char [9]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1> Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(319) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'char *' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(348) : error C2664: 'CreateWindowExW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char *' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(365) : error C2664: 'AppendMenuW' : cannot convert parameter 4 from 'const char [11]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(366) : error C2664: 'AppendMenuW' : cannot convert parameter 4 from 'const char [11]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(367) : error C2664: 'AppendMenuW' : cannot convert parameter 4 from 'const char [11]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Termites\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Termites - 7 error(s), 2 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Am I compiling it wrong, do I need an older version of DirectDraw, or is the library flawed?

Last edited by SpaceManiac; 05-25-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Finishing post
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #2
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Default Re: Termites Source

A complete guess, but I reckon you don't have the tinyptc library, or at least have not included it correctly.

Last edited by AtkinsSJ; 05-26-2008 at 02:45 AM.
AtkinsSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Including libraries is a pain in Visual C++, from what I've found.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

I used the function-style cast (suggested in the messages) to convert all the char * and const char [...] to LPCWSTR, so they looked like
Code:
library = (HMODULE) LoadLibrary(LPCWSTR("ddraw.dll"));
instead of
Code:
library = (HMODULE) LoadLibrary("ddraw.dll");
but now the error's* shifted to the linker:
Quote:
1>------ Build started: Project: Termites, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>main.cpp
1>tinyptc.cpp
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(152) : warning C4244: 'initializing' : conversion from 'WPARAM' to 'int', possible loss of data
1>e:\termites\source\tinyptc.cpp(195) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'LRESULT' to 'int', possible loss of data
1>Generating Code...
1>Linking...
1>MSVCRTD.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>C:\Documents and Settings\Tad\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Termites\Debug\Termites.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Termites\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Termites - 2 error(s), 2 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
I can't figure out exactly what I need to do to resolve the "_WinMain@16" external symbol.

* It's a contraction for "error has"

Last edited by SpaceManiac; 05-27-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Parenthetical Aside
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote