Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 08-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
calebzz
Less Puny Mortal

Unhappy Why are people becoming less and less active?

I used to have an account named "Cookies" or something of the sort. I played Costume Party a lot and people used to chat a lot in the Hamchat. (Was possibly a different name back then idk) I remember the community being a LOT more active around that time, I joined around the time Costume Party came out with no add-ons so 2013? Before I created a new account recently, I browsed the forums and noticed some people are inactive, or just come in short bursts. Examples: TyTBone, yourter12, and Julian.

TL;DR: Just curious on why the forum or chat isn't as active as it used to be. Growtopia seems to be the only active game thread imo.

Last edited by calebzz; 08-14-2015 at 08:48 AM.
calebzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Megadog
The Demagogue

Default Re: Why are people becoming less and less active?

The website started dying a long time ago. I think the last time it seemed to be as it always was was around sleepless hollows release. Since then, the games that unite us have been smaller and smaller and so naturally the community slowly deteriorated. We're at the point, now, where I doubt we'd be able to make a return even if Jamul released a new big game. We've been aware of this for years, the doomsaying thread mentioned in my signature is evidence of that, and there's really nothing we can do at this point...
Old 08-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
OurEminentDoomsayer
Inanimate Carbon Rod

The thing that brought me to this site was Dr. Lunatic: Supreme with Cheese (hereafter referred to as "SwC", for the sake of my fingers). Its core gameplay is a fairly typical action game with well balanced, varied levels. The strengths of the game are exponentially enhanced by having a powerful and usable level editor being embraced by a decently sized community. It was like Half-Life 2 before there was Half-Life 2. In my mind there are two eras of Hamumu: before SwC waned in popularity, and after.

Loonyland 2 (LL2) was a good game, and in it I can see Jamul's enthusiasm for heavily skill based RPGs, but it was the first step away from the golden formula established by SwC. LL2 was not as easy to edit or as varied as SwC, so the real meat of the experience was not user generated. "1,200" levels trumps "50 Quests".

This scope shrink is continues further on through time. I liked the idea of Costume Party, but nobody's talked about it since this post 10 months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Well, I made a level. Doesn't look like anyone else did though. Maybe some last minute entries?
Since around the release of Costume Party, the games appearing on Hamumu's website have usually been smaller browser games and LD challenges. There's also Growtopia, but that's irrelevant to the discussion of why these message boards are dead since the main Growtopia discussion forums are on rtsoft.com. All in all, SwC will always have a special place in my heart as an experience that brings many disparate people together in common appreciation and happiness. I'm Kool Kat bad at summing things up.

[Unintelligible low bitrate mumbling]
OurEminentDoomsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
TyTBone
College Boi

Cool to see my name mentioned in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Since then, the games that unite us have been smaller and smaller and so naturally the community slowly deteriorated. We're at the point, now, where I doubt we'd be able to make a return even if Jamul released a new big game. We've been aware of this for years, the doomsaying thread mentioned in my signature is evidence of that, and there's really nothing we can do at this point...
Basically this. HappyPonyGate (I think?) really got me interested and hanging out here because it seemed like a super-fun game and Jamul was interested in taking our suggestions and opinions. That didn't work out (pretty crushing as what we saw did look really fun), but I continued hanging out with cool peeps here and encouraging (along with many others of course) a new 2.5D action-rpg. That never came (and I probably outgrew the target age for this forum, anyway) and tensions ran high, so it seemed best to more or less move on. Though obviously I check in every month or so.

I'm now pretty active on another forum, a competitor to Steam.

Last edited by TyTBone; 11-14-2015 at 07:33 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
FlatOutLie
Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurEminentDoomsayer View Post
The thing that brought me to this site was Dr. Lunatic: Supreme with Cheese (hereafter referred to as "SwC", for the sake of my fingers). Its core gameplay is a fairly typical action game with well balanced, varied levels. The strengths of the game are exponentially enhanced by having a powerful and usable level editor being embraced by a decently sized community. It was like Half-Life 2 before there was Half-Life 2. In my mind there are two eras of Hamumu: before SwC waned in popularity, and after.

Loonyland 2 (LL2) was a good game, and in it I can see Jamul's enthusiasm for heavily skill based RPGs, but it was the first step away from the golden formula established by SwC. LL2 was not as easy to edit or as varied as SwC, so the real meat of the experience was not user generated. "1,200" levels trumps "50 Quests".

This scope shrink is continues further on through time. I liked the idea of Costume Party, but nobody's talked about it since this post 10 months ago:

Since around the release of Costume Party, the games appearing on Hamumu's website have usually been smaller browser games and LD challenges. There's also Growtopia, but that's irrelevant to the discussion of why these message boards are dead since the main Growtopia discussion forums are on rtsoft.com. All in all, SwC will always have a special place in my heart as an experience that brings many disparate people together in common appreciation and happiness. I'm Kool Kat bad at summing things up.

[Unintelligible low bitrate mumbling]
And anyways most people from growtopia are annoying