Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017
Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 AM   #1
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

Default A serious question.

For the past year or so, I have been experiencing problems with my sleep. I dont know the cause of this. I would like to see if any of you have any ideas of whats causing this and how to solve it. Its 5:56 AM over here. I go to bed at 11:00 PM. It differs from time to time, but usually it happens like this: One night, I cant get to sleep untill around 4:00 AM. The next night, I cant get to sleep. Period. I just stay awake untill the next night, when I fall asleep a few hours after 11. And the cycle starts again.

This started happening shortly after my grandma died. Last night, While I was bored(This is one of those nights where i dont get to sleep period.), I started thinking about why this happened after my grandmother died. The first thing that came to mind was greif or stress over her death, but I quickly dismissed that. I know this makes me a horrible person, but im not overly fond of my grandma. She can be described by me with many colorful words i would likely get banned for using on this forum. Frankly, I hated her. I wasnt glad when she died, im not that cruel. I was just relieved. I have thousands of memories with her. Of those memories, I can only recall one happy one.(When i was much younger and we made candles out of berries or something.) The others either ended in a fight(Words, not physical.), or me in tears. The majority being the latter, since I was scared of my grandma, and usually didnt have the guts to challenge her almighty rule.

Other than that one solution, I can think of nothing else. Since this happened suddenly, and hasnt been with me since i was born, I think this problem is psychological. Im no psychiatrist, but I do have a knack for studying myself and others in reaction to different situiations. If anyone can give me a possible reason, I would be grateful.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

Also, forgive me for the non-dumb post. I am most sceintific, creative, analytic, and all that when im tired.(I write my book when im tired, because if i do it when im fully awake, it always seems to turn out stupid.)
Old 07-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

The psychological reason seems to be the only good one I can think of, too. Is there any way you might harbor some unconscious fondness for your grandmother? That might help to cause disturbed sleep patterns. It also might happen if one of your family members is experiencing extreme grief over the situation, and the grief is spreading around.

Of course, if you rarely think about your grandmother, then the problem might not be psychological at all, but rather a medical one, that happened to begin coincidentally right around your grandmother's death.

I'm not a psychiatrist or a medical doctor, so my advice may be totally useless, but I guess it's worth thinking about. Tell us if you feel any better.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Nebro-Gubular SpisBoy
Dumb Person

It might be a psychological problem, or it might not... the human mind is a strange, incomprehensible, and deeply unnerving thing.

I can identify with you in two ways. First, I can sometimes not get to sleep, although that's probably just because I don't get much excercise and I stay up thinking too much.
Secondly, I too have had relatives die that I didn't really care for. It doesn't make you a horrible person if you aren't sad about your grandmother's death. When my grandfather died I honestly didn't care a bit. I didn't really know or like him. I have never truly known grief because I have never lost a friend or relative who I deeply care about. So don't feel bad about not feeling bad. (This will get you nowhere except some awkward linguistic tangles. )

Anyway, my advice is see a doctor or psychologist, or just start getting lots of excercise so you're always exhausted at the end of the day. It will also make you healthier.

EDIT: Also, don't apologize for making a non-dumb posts. Intelligent discussion is a nice break from the endless spam.
Nebro-Gubular SpisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote