Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 10-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
worldtesterguy
Guy Who Tests Worlds

Yerfdog How To Submit Worlds To Hamumu

So you've made a world. That is great! We love to get free content here at Hamumu. In order to submit it for consideration for our site, you need to do several things.

STEP 0 (Making your world)

You know how to make the world. But here are a few things you need to consider for your world to be acceptable:

1. Any content must be your own creation. That means any tiles you add have to be your own drawing, any music you add must be your own creation, any sound effects must come from you (or friends gathered around your microphone). The obvious exceptions to this are that you can swipe tiles from any Hamumu worlds, and use all the built-in sound effects and songs. You can also use other builders' tiles, songs, and sounds - as long as you get their permission first! These aren't just the rules we apply, they're copyright law!

2. Your world has to be possible to complete to 100% without using ANY cheats. I know that seems obvious, but you'd be shocked at how many worlds we get that can't be! Hint: it's the majority.

3. Your world must have all 4 keychains and a Loony Key in it (I know not all worlds have had a Loony Key, but it's a requirement now!). People get antsy when they can't mark off everything in the pause menu.

4. It is required that you include candles in at least some levels. Collecting them is fun! You can make them really tricky to get to, like extra keychains, or just scatter them around, or provide them as a bonus for going beyond the call of duty (like killing all the monsters in a room instead of just getting to the exit). Or do something creative and unique!

5. Your world needs to have a decent amount of gameplay. There's no specific number of levels you need, but if it can be completed in 10 minutes, it's too short. You should include one of your levels as a "keychain level" that is only accessible when you have all 4 keychains. It should also be marked as "secret" so that it is not included in level counts.

6. Besides being possible to complete, your world needs to be reasonable to complete. It shouldn't be ridiculously easy, and it definitely shouldn't be so absurdly hard that you are the only human being who can do it. If you are very good at Supreme, it is recommended that you play your world on Hard when you test it, to make sure it's not too hard for the masses.

7. Spice things up! Your world should have some decorations, not just be a bunch of square rooms filled with monsters. It should also have variety in the gameplay. You don't want every level to play the same with different colored monsters. Yes, I really will send back a world for being too boring or ugly! That doesn't mean you have to be artistically inclined. You just have to put in some variety.

8. No crazy flashing floors. I don't want to have a seizure. (or make others have one). Also, please don't have the levels keep on saying "kool Kat Bad" or have the "I collected all candles theme" keep on playing. You need to properly set the brain and candle counts in your levels. If you are not doing anything special you can normally just click on the autocount in the level screen to set the counts for candles and brains. (Millions of brains or candles in a level are also very very annoying to many players - please take this into account when placing them in your levels).

9. If you make custom sounds, make sure they're not incredibly huge. Custom sounds can be by far the biggest file adding to the size of your world. Keep the sounds as short as possible, and if you have the tools to do so, make them at a low bitrate. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how much noise you make, it's entirely how long the sound is that determines how big the file is. Five seconds of silence takes up the same space as five seconds of yelling (which incidentally is a lot of space, 5 seconds is a long sound! Keep them short!).

10. Spellcheck and grammar check! I don't want to be spending all of my time checking your English. You also need to properly case your World Name, Author Name, Level Names, Custom Monster Names.

11. The best idea of all is to find a testing buddy to test your world with you (you still need to play it through yourself, too! If only to save your buddy from some pain). They'll point out things you'd never realize, and improvements that I would not have suggested, to make the best world you can.

12. Don't forget to set the Author Name!

STEP 1

Start up Supreme, click on Play. Select your world in the World Select screen.

Click on "Reset This World".

Click on "Yes" when the screen asks if you are sure you want to reset this world.

This gives you 0% complete in that world. Now play your world - start to finish, NO cheating! If you can't get 100% without cheating on your own world, then it's definitely not acceptable for Hamumu! If you can't, go back to the editor and fix what you need to. If you're really good at the game, we recommend you play on Hard difficulty, so that when your world is done, and you can pass it yourself, it's not too hard for people who aren't as good as you (who will be playing on Normal).

STEP 2

To get to your files, double-click on My Computer, then on (C: ), then Program Files, then Supreme. You may have installed the game in a different place, but if so, you probably know where that is. The files you need to include are:

1. The DLW file. This can be found in the Worlds folder inside the Supreme folder. It's called whatever you named it in the editor! If you named it "Myname", this file will be "myname.dlw".
2. If you made any music, it will be found where you must have put it! In the Music folder inside Supreme. You don't need to include the files for songs you used unless you created them. Everybody already has the existing songs.
3. If you made any custom sound effects, don't worry about it! They're stored right inside the DLW file.
4. Similarly, the tiles you used are stored in the DLW file.
5. If you displayed any custom text, images, or movies, those will be in the User folder, which is where you had to put them to make the world work right in the first place.
6. A trick you can use, if you lose track of what files you used in your world, is to load your world in the editor, then press SHIFT-Q. That will create a file in your Supreme folder called "req_files.txt". Open that file to see a list of all the files your world needs.

Attach those files to an email to Jamul (jamul@hamumu.com). If you know how to do so, zip them together into a zip file (or 'Compressed Folder'), to make the email smaller and faster. If you don't know how, that's okay too. To attach the files, in most email programs, you just need to create a new email, then drag the files onto the email. In your email, tell me the name of your world and the name you set for the author. That way, I won't get lost trying to find it in the World Select. Send it off!

STEP 3

Wait. I will notify you when I receive your world, then begin testing it. It may take up to two weeks to test it, due to other worlds in the pipeline, and potentially me having a life. When you next hear from me, I'll either tell you your world has been sent off to Mike, or provide a list of things to fix! If your world was accepted, then congratulations! You are done, and now just have to wait forever and ever for Mike to actually put it up on the website.

STEP 4

Fix everything. Make sure you fix everything. And don't make any other changes. That makes testing your world much harder, because you could break new things. Before sending it back to me, repeat STEP 1 above - play your world from 0 to 100% without cheating. You have to make sure you didn't introduce any new problems (as a programmer, this concept is painfully familiar to Mike). Send your world back to me, and return to STEP 3!

World Tester Guy

BIG EDIT: Send your worlds to jamul@hamumu.com now, he will do the testing!

Last edited by Jamul; 02-13-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: new destination
worldtesterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
NickR
Large Mortal

Send a message via MSN to NickR
Smile Re: How To Submit Worlds To Hamumu

Hey all, that all you want to know! I'm no saint at submitting worlds, but if you read what WTG has to say, you won't go too wrong.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
death
Banned

Default Re: How To Submit Worlds To Hamumu

If you do add new stuff, play it over again.

I personally find a huge difference between the worlds when I start from when wtg submits it to mike.

also, if you want to use a song made by another person or company, get permission in written form. but don't get your hopes up

of course using mikes music from other games is most likely ok, that is ok... I think

wtg, would you kindly add this to your instructions?
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
pantsofpower
Dumb Person

Great advice WTG. I certainly found it useful. :cool:
Old 10-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

And now one of my worlds is in the pipeline. Are you anywhere close to it yet, WTG?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Some more suggestions:
Turning-off the various Frozen Yoghurts of Fury, and playing as plain old Bouapha, is probably a good idea too, as people starting out will be limited to this level.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Mr.Onion

And possibly the radars, too.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Those are Frozen Yoghurts of Fury, IIRC.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Mr.Onion

Oh yes. The other one is Move 'n' Shoot.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
McMonkeyMcBean
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtesterguy View Post
You can also use other builders' tiles, songs, and sounds - as long as you get their permission first! ...
Just to make it clear - I give permission for anyone to use anything I've developed in any of my worlds in any way they choose.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
qwertybub3
Rock Lobster

Can I swipe tiles from decor.bmp ?
qwertybub3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #12
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yeah, I believe that comes with the game... any tilesets that are in the tilegfx folder (without you having put them there by using the "rip tiles" command in the tile editor!) are free to use, they're part of the original game.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
qwertybub3
Rock Lobster

But what about HH2, HH3, WW1, and other tiles that come with SWC but were in worlds NOT made by Hamumu?
qwertybub3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
Mr.Onion

Not allowed to use them without the author's permission.

Don't think so anyway.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

If they shipped with the game, then you may go ahead. All those authors gave permission for their work to be included in Supreme, and I don't think they'd mind if it was used further to make more stuff for Supreme. If they do mind, I'm sure they'll let you know!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Hammered
Nailed It!

People can use my tiles if they want.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:19 AM   #17
pizza
Extra cheesy

Someone has used my Monthly Merge level tiles in another MM... So people can use my tiles too.

PS. I don't think everybody will go through all the steps before sending their worlds in. They should though.

Last edited by pizza; 10-16-2006 at 05:22 AM.
pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Anybody can rip off my tiles, not that mine are good.

This topic should help those newer to world building. Thanks for making it, WTG!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #19
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

I haven't done many tiles, but go ahead and copy them people! In fact somebody did already, so meh.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #20
varkarrus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
People can use my tiles if they want.
same here! (once I ACTUALLY release a world)
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote