Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yerfdog MONTHLY MERGE: Volume 12 "Movie Merge"

Monthly Merge #12: Movie Merge (AKA “Levels In A Merge”)
Deadline: 8:00AMish PST, November 15th

Welcome back to the Monthly Merge! This month, builders will build a level with one very specific theme. Your level’s title must be “<X> on a <Y>” (or “on an”, if that’s grammatically correct), where <X> is the name of some sort of living entity, presumably an animal, and <Y> is the name of a form of transportation. For example (one you may not use), “Snakes On A Plane”. Get it? Then of course, make your level fit the title you gave it – the player must defeat this dangerous infestation of <X>s on the <Y> (or perhaps do something else entirely with them). That’s all there is to it! And don't forget, there are lots of different kinds of vehicles! Be creative!

THE CONTEST

I am very busy this month. Very very very busy. So let’s make this simple! Everyone who submits a level that has no problems and is good enough to put in the merge without changes gets 30 Prize Points. That should save me even more time than just not having a contest!

Special Bonus! You win 10 extra Prize Points if you earn the first 30, and:
Your level has 3 different-colored switches in it, which correspond to three matching colored items/walls/areas/monsters/something in the level, and which the player must flip at least once each to complete the level, and at least one of which must be flipped more than once. What they do and why you flip them is up to you. Feel free to ask questions about this crazy option.

Another fine way to save time: Players will compete for top scores and times! As before, once the merge comes out, people may play it and submit their scores to the site as normal. You will earn 5 points for each 1st place score or time, 3 points for each 2nd, and 1 point for each 3rd. Whoever has the most points wins! As before, if the top 3 scores or times on a level are almost identical, that level won’t be counted, since there’s no way to know if more people also could’ve gotten right in there. Scores will be tallied up at the end of the month, so you’ll have 2 weeks to do your best. Builders may enter this contest.

Top 3 players this month get 150, 75, and 30 Prize Points respectively.

THE RULES

Special Rules For Builders:

1>Since there is a score contest, make sure your level is designed in such a way that players can get a range of scores or times. Ensure they can’t just zip to the end in a fixed time, and that there are chances to gain and lose points in abundance. You only get the 30 Prize Points if this is true (because I’ll ask for changes otherwise!), so make sure it’s a good score/time level!
2>Also since this is a score contest, if you want to have more candles, as score bonuses, you can. Just make sure you have one special candle that is earned separately, and let me know how to get it!
3>You may enter only one level, so make it good!
4>Tons of people in the past have not quite followed the naming rules, making finding files tougher than it needed to be. Read the basic rules carefully!! You will not win any Prize Points if you fail to follow them. I would recommend going over them again even if you think you know them.

Basic Rules Of All Monthly Merges:

1> You may use no more than 50 tiles. Make sure you use “Delete Unused Tiles” after you’re done, to keep it trimmed down.
2> No more than 5 custom sounds.
3> No more than 10 custom items.
4> Do not use Tile Var specials unless you REALLY know what you're doing with them, and you make sure they never have a value lower than 800.
5> If you want to use a global variable, email me and ask first. I will give out one per person, first come first serve. More than one may be granted if it seems clear they won’t all be used up.
6> You may not modify any original items - you must make your own copies of them if you want modified versions.
7> Make sure any custom items you make have Rarity of 0 (so they won't drop randomly from monsters in other peoples’ levels).
8> Your level filename must be “merge12XXX.dlw” where XXX is a 3 letter/number code of your own devising. Using your initials is not recommended!
9> Any extra files your level uses, like text files or images, must be named “merge12XXX_YY.txt” (or .bmp or whatever it is), where XXX again is your special code, and YY can be anything that is useful for you, like for example “merge12MH1_pizzahut.txt”. Make sure you use the same special code everywhere. Since your extra files will be visible to the end-user, make sure your special code doesn't identify you in any way!
10> Submit your level by emailing it and any needed files (in a zip file, preferably, but it’s okay otherwise too) to jamul@hamumu.com.
11> Your level has to work perfectly. I may fix problems, but probably not, and if a level doesn’t work, I will not include it in the merge.
12> You may resubmit your level as many times as you want before the deadline. Whichever version I get last, but before the deadline, is the one that goes in.
13> You get 2 weeks to build your level.
14> Make your level as the 2nd level in a world – add it to an empty hub. Your hub doesn’t HAVE to be empty, it can have whatever you want, but I’m just going to throw it away, so don’t spend a long time on it!
15> Don’t forget to set the Author on your world, so I know who made it!
16> Remember, and this always applies to any add-on: ANY custom song, text, or graphics must be your own creation. You may not take someone else’s work.
17> You may not include a Loonykey or any of the 4 Keychains in your level.
18> Instead of including candles as normal, put exactly ONE candle somewhere, hidden really well - the same way you'd hide a keychain (or award it for doing something special, whatever - treat it like a keychain). I will convert some of those to keychains, leave others as candles. It doesn't matter whether your level has a candle count of 0 or 1, I'll handle that.
19> Let me know in your email where the candle is, or how it's gotten!

20> Misspellings and bad grammar will most likely be corrected when I catch them, so don’t put any in on purpose! Also, please try not to put any in on accident. It’s a pain to fix.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Default Re: MONTHLY MERGE: Volume 12 "Movie Merge"

Yahoo!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

*Asks question about the crazy option*
Why 3 switches? Is that a SoaP reference?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

I probably won't be making a level because I'm too busy with NaNoWriMo;-)
Old 11-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
evil eye
Dumb Person

Send a message via MSN to evil eye

maybe...i was hoping it would have something to do with parodying a movie. i would have gone for that over this but i might join...dunno...first merge ever?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
ducklegion
creator of art!

Send a message via ICQ to ducklegion Send a message via AIM to ducklegion Send a message via MSN to ducklegion Send a message via Yahoo to ducklegion

November 13 is my birthday and I've been thinking of making a movie world...hmm I wonder which mine is going to be

Can it have sorta an RPGish stuff oh and what about global variables can we use those
11:00 PM [Jamul] you have successfully told the past!
ducklegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
evil eye
Dumb Person

Send a message via MSN to evil eye

thats in the rules. first come first serve.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ View Post
*Asks question about the crazy option*
Why 3 switches? Is that a SoaP reference?
No, it's just something that has been floating in my brain a couple of months, so I thought I'd throw it in. The original idea was to have that BE the merge - make a level that relies on 3 colored switches etc. Be interesting to see what would be done with that. There's a lot that a switch can do!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

*Rubs hands together maniacly* Mwahahahaha! I have an idea no one could think of! Well, maybe Hammered of Jamul. Dunno. Forty points, here I come. Oh, also, does the level have to be accepted without any bugs right away to earn the other ten, or can you earn just the ten for the switch thing?
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
Armando322

What if 2 people enter the same named levels? Will you include them both?

Last edited by Armando322; 11-01-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
ducklegion
creator of art!

Send a message via ICQ to ducklegion Send a message via AIM to ducklegion Send a message via MSN to ducklegion Send a message via Yahoo to ducklegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaucer View Post
*Rubs hands together maniacly* Mwahahahaha! I have an idea no one could think of! Well, maybe Hammered of Jamul. Dunno. Forty points, here I come. Oh, also, does the level have to be accepted without any bugs right away to earn the other ten, or can you earn just the ten for the switch thing?
Well..My idea is umm...better..yeah thats good..
11:00 PM [Jamul] you have successfully told the past!
ducklegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yes, I would include both if they were the same! It's pretty unlikely though (please note that it says "Snakes On A Plane" is not allowed!).

As it says in the rules, you can only get the bonus points if you also get the base points.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: MONTHLY MERGE: Volume 12 "Movie Merge"

Can you do multiple entries?

Last edited by Coolguy; 11-01-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Hammered
Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamul View Post
Special Rules For Builders:

3>You may enter only one level, so make it good!
There's a lot of instructions; maybe you missed this one.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #15
Armando322

Wh00ta! I'm ready to send mine in!

EDIT: And this time it's actually finished!

Last edited by Armando322; 11-01-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Evil_monkey asks whether it's allowed to do "<x>'s in a <y>"
Old 11-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #17
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I can't think of a case where you would have to... perhaps a private consultation would help here. But even a submarine, which obviously is something you have to be IN if you want to be alive, can be used like "Snails On A Submarine". 'On' is always correct in every example I can think of.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #18
pizza
Extra cheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamul View Post
Snails On A Submarine
Oh, great. Now I have to think of something else. ...Ok, got it.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #19
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Here's a handy tip: I've gotten two submissions already (one of them on Nov. 1st!), and neither one is winning the prize points, because they had problems in them. I feel kind of bad about that for one of the entries, because it didn't have any 'bugs', it was just too hard/frustrating. But the moral of the story is that you have 2 weeks to create your masterpiece. If you're done in one day, that's fine - no reason it should take more than a day to make a single level! But it means you have lots of time to test it out. Set it aside, come play it again the next day, or in a couple of days. That will help give you a new perspective on things. Get a friend to play it - that gives you an even NEWER perspective on things! There's no contest between builders this month, so you can certainly share it (privately) with other builders for testing.

It's a very easy set of points to get, so don't throw them away!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:53 PM   #20
Armando322

That was my level... I'll send you another version of it right away!