Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Hammered
Nailed It!

Default General Rules for Mafia Games

1. The host of the next game should start his sign ups shortly after the present game starts, so he/she can have enough players to be ready on time.
  2. The next game should start about 24 hours after the last game has ended, provided there are at least 8 players signed up. If there are less than 8, the game may be delayed until 8 are found, but a special effort should be made to find the additional players quickly.
  3. Mafia roles should be assigned to about 25% of the total number of players. The remainder should be townies. If the number of players is not divisible by 4, an extra mafia may be included, provided that there are at least 3 extra players and the extra mafia role is extraordinarily weak (weaker than a standard mafia) or the town has extra power players to balance.
  4. All communication about the game should occur in the thread itself, not in a chat room and not in PMs. There are only 3 exceptions to this rule:
    First, all players can communicate privately with the host.
    Second, players designated as mafia may chat privately with other mafia, but not with any other players.
    Third, players designated as masons may chat privately with other members of their mason group, but not with any other players.
    If you are found to be chatting about the mafia game in the Hamumu chat room, you should not be surprised to find your chat contents posted in the mafia thread where it belongs, and you should be prepared to be kicked if a moderator notices.
  5. Players may claim their roles if they like, but may not reveal other playes roles who they learn as a result of their own roles. It is OK to speculate on other player's roles or share what you may have deduced about them, as long as you make it clear that that is what you are doing.
  6. If you are killed, you will probably be given an opportunity to give a last gasp. That will be your last post as a player in that game. You are not allowe to post again.
  7. Although it is disappointing to be killed, remember that other players are still enjoying the game and it isn't fair for you to ruin it for them. If you are a mafia, don't use your last gasp to rat out your fellow mafia. Townies should feel free to post whatever they may have deduced that they think may be helpful to their fellow townies. Nobody, except the host, should ever post the host's messages about roles.
  8. Non-players (and dead players) should not post any game related info in the thread. Let the people who are playing draw their own conclusions. The people who are in the game (mafia and townies) don't want to have to play against everyone on the forum. Stay out of it if you are not playing.
  9. The host should set a reasonable time limit of not less than 24 hours for people who need to PM him at night to do so. Remember that some of our players are on different continents and widely divergent time zones, so saying things about whether PMs have been received can give people clues about where the PMing roles might live and therefore who they are. It is probably best to wait the entire 24 hours until the day starts, even if you get all the PMs back in 10 minutes.
  10. The host might consider setting a reasonable time limit for people to vote, if it seems to be dragging on overly long. In no case should that deadline be less than 24 hours, because of the global nature of our player pool. If a majority of the players have voted to lynch a player, that player is lynched whether or not anyone changes their votes after the fact. Changing your vote after a lynch occurs is cheating, so don't do it. Once the lynch has taken place, the host should post the lynch of that player in a timely fashion and start the night.
  11. There is a host signup sheet over on the Total Mayhem forum. You must have played in at least two games to host, but you can sign up even if you have never played, because the list is so long. If you have not played in the requisite number of games before your hosting turn comes up, you will be moved down on the list to a place where you would be able to complete the requirement. If this happens again, you will be dropped from the list.
  12. There are a lot of Don'ts here, but they are intended to make the game better for everyone. There are some exceptions. If the host appears not to be around, you can post vote tallies, even if you are dead or not even in the game. You can also post questions to the host about things that seem to be vague or wrong. Other people are probably having the same questions.
  13. Lately, we have had some unfortunate incidents of people coming into the chat room under other players' names, apparently in an effort to gain secret information about their roles. This has happened for three games in a row and it must stop. Not only is it no class to impersonate any other user for any reason, it is big-time cheating if you do it during a mafia game where you could get extra information to help your team.
  14. Have fun!
I am sure I missed something so feel free to PM me and I will add them here - let's keep this thread clean so people don't have to read a bunch of stuff to figure out how to play.

Last edited by Hammered; 01-22-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
blackmyth
eats people.

Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Just a suggestion, all masons/mafia should have a secret word assigned to them to prevent information gathering via impersonation.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

I wonder who the impersonater(s) is/are...
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Hammered
Nailed It!

I am adding one, but I can't edit, so I am redoing the whole list.
  1. The host of the next game should start his sign ups shortly after the present game starts, so he/she can have enough players to be ready on time.
  2. The next game should start about 24 hours after the last game has ended, provided there are at least 8 players signed up. If there are less than 8, the game may be delayed until 8 are found, but a special effort should be made to find the additional players quickly.
  3. Mafia roles should be assigned to about 25% of the total number of players. The remainder should be townies. If the number of players is not divisible by 4, an extra mafia may be included, provided that there are at least 3 extra players and the extra mafia role is extraordinarily weak (weaker than a standard mafia) or the town has extra power players to balance.
  4. All communication about the game should occur in the thread itself, not in a chat room and not in PMs. There are only 3 exceptions to this rule:
    Second, players designated as mafia may chat privately with other mafia, but not with any other players.
    Third, players designated as masons may chat privately with other members of their mason group, but not with any other players.
    If you are found to be chatting about the mafia game in the Hamumu chat room, you should not be surprised to find your chat contents posted in the mafia thread where it belongs, and you should be prepared to be kicked if a moderator notices.
  5. Players may claim their roles if they like, but may not reveal other playes roles who they learn as a result of their own roles. It is OK to speculate on other player's roles or share what you may have deduced about them, as long as you make it clear that that is what you are doing.
  6. If you are killed, you will probably be given an opportunity to give a last gasp. That will be your last post as a player in that game. You are not allowe to post again.
  7. Although it is disappointing to be killed, remember that other players are still enjoying the game and it isn't fair for you to ruin it for them. If you are a mafia, don't use your last gasp to rat out your fellow mafia. Townies should feel free to post whatever they may have deduced that they think may be helpful to their fellow townies. Nobody, except the host, should ever post the host's messages about roles.
  8. Non-players (and dead players) should not post any game related info in the thread. Let the people who are playing draw their own conclusions. The people who are in the game (mafia and townies) don't want to have to play against everyone on the forum. Stay out of it if you are not playing.
  9. The host should set a reasonable time limit of not less than 24 hours for people who need to PM him at night to do so. Remember that some of our players are on different continents and widely divergent time zones, so saying things about whether PMs have been received can give people clues about where the PMing roles might live and therefore who they are. It is probably best to wait the entire 24 hours until the day starts, even if you get all the PMs back in 10 minutes.
  10. The host might consider setting a reasonable time limit for people to vote, if it seems to be dragging on overly long. In no case should that deadline be less than 24 hours, because of the global nature of our player pool. If a majority of the players have voted to lynch a player, that player is lynched whether or not anyone changes their votes after the fact. Changing your vote after a lynch occurs is cheating, so don't do it. Once the lynch has taken place, the host should post the lynch of that player in a timely fashion and start the night.
  11. Hosts need to be attentive to the games they are hosting. They have things they need to do on a regular basis and they can't do that if they are lurking. If you can't be attentive to your game, don't host one. People in a mafia game expect to die of lynches and hits, not boredom.
  12. There is a host signup sheet over on the Total Mayhem forum. You must have played in at least two games to host, but you can sign up even if you have never played, because the list is so long. If you have not played in the requisite number of games before your hosting turn comes up, you will be moved down on the list to a place where you would be able to complete the requirement. If this happens again, you will be dropped from the list.
  13. There are a lot of Don'ts here, but they are intended to make the game better for everyone. There are some exceptions. If the host appears not to be around, you can post vote tallies, even if you are dead or not even in the game. You can also post questions to the host about things that seem to be vague or wrong. Other people are probably having the same questions.
  14. Lately, we have had some unfortunate incidents of people coming into the chat room under other players' names, apparently in an effort to gain secret information about their roles. This has happened for three games in a row and it must stop. Not only is it no class to impersonate any other user for any reason, it is big-time cheating if you do it during a mafia game where you could get extra information to help your team.
  15. Have fun!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

I have an idea for a rule: In my other game, one of the mafia pretended to rat out his fellow 'Mafia' while the mafia were actually townies. Everybody put pressure on me to end the game because it was 'broken' because they 'knew all the mafia'. I couldnt end the game, because it wasnt broken. But I couldnt say that it wasnt broken, because that would prove the people he said were townies innocent, making it unfair for the mafia. If there is any way to stop this from happening again....

Last edited by regeneratorizer; 03-25-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Clicked 'Post' instead of 'Preview'.
regeneratorizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
Hammered
Nailed It!

I am adding one, but I can't edit, so I am redoing the whole list.
  6. If you are killed, you will probably be given an opportunity to give a last gasp. That will be your last post as a player in that game. You are not allowed to post again after that.
  11. Hosts need to be attentive to the games they are hosting. They have things they need to do on a regular basis and they can't do that if they are lurking. If you can't be attentive to your game, don't host one. People in a mafia game expect to die of lynches and hits, not boredom.
  12. There is a host signup sheet over on the Total Mayhem forum. You must have played in at least three games to sign up.
  13. There are a lot of Don'ts here, but they are intended to make the game better for everyone. There are some exceptions. If the host appears not to be around, you can post vote tallies, even if you are dead or not even in the game. You can also post questions to the host about things that seem to be vague or wrong. Other people are probably having the same questions.
  14. Lately, we have had some unfortunate incidents of people coming into the chat room under other players' names, apparently in an effort to gain secret information about their roles. This has happened for three games in a row and it must stop. Not only is it no class to impersonate any other user for any reason, it is big-time cheating if you do it during a mafia game where you could get extra information to help your team.
  15. If you are hosting, you have to PM everyone. No PMing the mafia and power roles and then telling everyone who didn't get a PM that they are a townie. This will be considered flawed hosting. It has caused problems in every single game where it has been tried. You can use the BCC feature to tell 5 people at a time that they are plain townies, so it isn't too much work. Just do it.
  16. Have fun!

Last edited by Hammered; 05-23-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
Roland
Lynched Day 3

It'd kinda help to show which one was the new one, so we don't have to wade through all that text to find out which one's the new one. Well organized though, Hammered!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Hammered
Nailed It!

New rules are added at the end of the list.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

I'd like to suggest another rule, actually. Already in my game I've noticed active citizens of Wannahockaloogie are spying on the who's online list to see who's PMing, and I'd like to see to it that this doesn't continue in later games, as I believe it is almost cheating.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hettel View Post
I'd like to suggest another rule, actually. Already in my game I've noticed active citizens of Wannahockaloogie are spying on the who's online list to see who's PMing, and I'd like to see to it that this doesn't continue in later games, as I believe it is almost cheating.
People should turn on Invisible Mode, then, to hide.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

The information is right there. I think it makes much more sense to let people know and tell them they can use invisible mode than to trust that people won't exploit it.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

In my next mafia game, I plan to modkill all who post ''HEY! I SAW SO-AND-SO PMING!''.

Last edited by Jamul; 05-25-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: language
regeneratorizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
Coolguy
Couch Potato

I'm just going to PM everybody who didn't turn on invisible mode to turn it on, or they'll get found out.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #14
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

There's no way to stop people from reading it, so I guess the only thing to do is tell people to turn on invisible mode.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseLord View Post
There's no way to stop people from reading it
Or is there?!?!?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
Banned

Send a message via MSN to 31337

Invisible Mode? I must learn the secrets of invisibility!
31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #17
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Go to User CP, then Options, then check the Use Invisible Mode box.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #18
Banned

Send a message via MSN to 31337

What does it do?
31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #19
Coolguy
Couch Potato

You don't appear in Currently Active Users, which shows what everybody's currently doing. People can see you PMing in there if you're not invisible, so that's why almost all Mafia players have turned invisible mode on.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #20
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Do I? I didn't recieve a PM from you, though that was probably the biggest liarty lie that ever lied on this liable planet.

EDIT: Done. Wait-Now I have a red glow instead of a non-glowing or a green-glowing one. And it says when you hover over it with the mouse, "Roland is invisible". Does this only apply to me? Because otherwise it wouldn't be very invisible.

Last edited by Roland; 05-26-2007 at 03:04 AM. Reason: I'm just like Wesley... ALL MAI POSTZ ARE EDITEZD!
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote