Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #21
diginova
Dumb Person

Default Re: The Unofficial Trivia Contest Thread

Question 3 has now expired, and the answers are as follows:
Arts: The 1990 movie was The Hunt for Red October, winning an Academy Award for sound editing in 1991. It was based on the 1984 novel of the same name by author Tom Clancy.
Sciences: The two fused bones that make the human upper jaw are called the maxilla.

Correct Single Majors (+15): HappyStickMan, Mr. Onion.

Correct Double Majors (+20): Cheeselord, Jamul, Mossysox.

Partial Credit (+13): Dr. Gamer (1/2 on second question of double major).

Incorrect Answers: ElMikkino.

Abstaining:
31337, AtkinsSJ, Chaucer, PlasmaCannonsRule, Ryuinfinity, The Ninja of Frozen Milk.

Current Rankings (3 out of 25 questions): (Full ranking grid is in the first post. Ctrl-F5 to refresh.)
Cheeselord, Jamul, Mossysox 31
Mr. Onion, HappyStickMan 26
Dr. Gamer 24
31337, Chaucer, PlasmaCannonsRule, Ryuinfinity, The Ninja of Frozen Milk 11
AtkinsSJ 8
ElMikkino 6

Mr. Onion wanted a question about algebra, so here it is. All flames should be directed to him. Also, the ratings grid is now in alphabetical order, with symbols representing rank, based on the official Olympic medal and ribbon colors:

The first 25-pointer is coming up right after this one, and there are still 341 points up for grabs before the final question. It's still anyone's game, even if you haven't answered a question yet. On to Question 4!

Value: 16 / Category: The Algebraicity of it All / Expired
SUGGESTED BY MR. ONION

Answer: 4112

You have found a safe that contains 16 trivia points but is secured by a 4-digit combination lock. The combination is not set to oooo (that was the first thing you tried), but some clues are left as to the actual code. It almost seems like a puzzle of sorts... fancy that! The clues are as follows:
  1. The sum of all four digits is equal to the product of all four digits (A+B+C+D = ABCD)
  2. The combination is evenly divisible by 8 (from only this clue, you have a 0.1% chance of guessing it right!)
  3. No mathematical knowledge beyond algebra is required.
  4. You can get the answer from only the first two clues.
  5. Disregard clue 5.

Last edited by diginova; 08-01-2007 at 11:06 AM.
diginova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 AM   #22
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

I brute force it.

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 07-30-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #23
diginova
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
I brute force it.
That's a way of doing it... it's easier to solve algebraically, though.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #24
Mossysox
C.H.E.E.S.E. Burgher

When you say 'solve', you're just asking for four numbers, are you? Or are we supposed to guess at their correct order as well?

Mossysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #25
diginova
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossysox View Post
When you say 'solve', you're just asking for four numbers, are you? Or are we supposed to guess at their correct order as well?
There is only one correct order that follows all the rules (specifically #2). Once you get the four numbers, just try out the combinations.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #26
Mossysox
C.H.E.E.S.E. Burgher

Ah, yes: read the question... Silly me!

Mossysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #27
Ninja of Frozen Milk
... is proud to be a furry.

Send a message via MSN to Ninja of Frozen Milk

I'm guessing this isn't covered by 7th grade algibra?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #28
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

It's a pretty simple problem, so I think it can be done with what people here know.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #29
diginova
Dumb Person

The actual math is Algebra 1 or lower, but there's also some logic involved.
Think a scaled-down Dumb puzzle.
Coming on Q5: The Lifecycle of a Yerfdog Clone (25 points)
I could have come up with some rather impossible ones, but that would have just been mean.

Last edited by diginova; 07-30-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #30
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yes, please read rule #2 carefully... I sure had it wrong at first!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #31
diginova
Dumb Person

After giving out the points for the last question, you all seem too smart.
I was expecting a couple of people to actually MISS the last two questions, but there have only been two incorrect answers since Question 1. That means that Subround 2 will be even harder! Bwa-ha-ha!

The end of Subround 1 is just one question away, and the Mighty Yerfdog has commanded that the next question will be about him (at least his clone). Since it's about such a powerful person, it will be a 25-pointer!

There is currently a 3-way tie for first place... but that can all change, since there's still a lot of game to be played.

Question 4 is now complete. A complete solution follows:
Call the four digits in the answer w, x, y and z, so that wxyz. Given is that wxyz=w+x+y+z. If any digit was 0, wxyz would be equal to 0, but since w+x+y+z can only be 0 if all digits are 0, there are no 0s due to the rules. If they were all 2s, you would get 16=8. As the digits increase in value, the left side grows faster than the right side, so in order to make the equation true, w=1. Repeating the same logic given the new equation xyz=1+x+y+z, with the remaining digits at 2, the equation would be 8=7, so x=1. You then get the equation yz=3+y+z. If y was also 1, you would get the impossibility z=3+z, so y>1. If both digits were 3, the equation would be 9=8, so, using the same logic as above, y=2. The final equation you then get is 2∙z=4+z, giving z=4. The possible combinations of these digits that are even are 1124, 1142, 1214, 1412, 2114, and 4112. Dividing each by 8, only 4112 is evenly divisible, and thus 4112 is the combination.

Correct Answers (+16): BryanSNK new, Cheeselord, Jamul, Mossysox, Mr. Onion, Munkee new.

Incorrect Answers: Happystickman.

Current Rankings (4 out of 25 questions):
(Full ranking grid is in the first post. Ctrl-F5 to refresh.)
Cheeselord, Jamul, Mossysox 47
Mr. Onion 42
Happystickman 26
Dr. Gamer 24
BryanSNK new, Munkee new 16
31337, Chaucer, PlasmaCannonsRule, Ryuinfinity, The Ninja of Frozen Milk 11
AtkinsSJ 8
ElMikkino 6

Last edited by diginova; 08-01-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #32
diginova
Dumb Person

Yerfdog NEW! Question 5

This is the first Special, a 25-point question that may seem rather different from the others. At the end of every sub-round, a Special will come up. All Specials give partial credit for answers, so even if you don’t think you know the answer, it doesn’t hurt to guess. 20 questions remain until the finals.

Value: 25 / Category: Look! Up in the Sky! / Expired
ORIGINALLY CREATED BY UGLYBIRD

Answer: 3 2 2 5 4 2 2 3

Answer the eight questions about the lifecycle of a Yerfdog clone (also known as an 11-inch (28 cm) latex balloon). Each question is worth 4 points, with a maximum score of 25. 2 bonus points will be given to the highest score. Lots of partial credit will be given.
  1. A Yerfdog begins when a milky-white fluid is extracted from a rubber tree. How is this raw material for the manufacturing of latex obtained?
    1. Rubber forests are clear-cut. The tree is then ground up and compressed to squeeze out latex-rich sap.
    2. Metal taps are inserted deep into the trunk of a rubber tree at multiple sites. The latex rich sap is dripped into receptacles. The tree dies soon thereafter.
    3. A thin layer of bark is shaved from a rubber tree, and a receptacle is placed below the cut to collect the sap that exudes from the unharmed tree.
    4. Small bamboo tubes are driven through the bark into the cambium layer to extract the latex-rich sap. Repeated "taps" can interfere with growth, and after several months, the trees die.
  2. Into a large vat of spotted latex, Yerfdog-shaped "fingers" are dipped, receiving a coating of latex. Earlier in the process, they were dipped in a coagulant so that the latex can adhere. This coagulant might include any of the following except what?
    1. Salt water [NaCl+H2O]
    2. Mercuric oxide [HgO]
    3. Calcium nitrate [Ca(NO3)2]
    4. Alcohol [CnH2n+1OH]
  3. The Yerfdog is then packaged and sent to a Hamumuien. They place it over a helium tank and inflate it until it is plump. They then tie a ribbon around it and hang it in a tutorial level. Left untouched, will it still be floating in 48 hours?
    1. Yes
    2. No
  4. The Yerfdog accidentally breaks free of its sting and floats in the breeze, rising into the sky. Which of the following hazards or effects have floating Yerfdogs been proven to cause?
    1. They have lured away bee swarms, decreasing the population of hives.
    2. The helium from the millions of released balloons have caused a significant depletion in the ozone layer.
    3. A balloon was picked up on radar in 1967 and triggered a NORAD missile launch.
    4. A balloon got entangled in the rotor of an Army helicopter that subsequently crashed in 1961.
    5. None of the above.
  5. The Yerfdog continues to rise, propelled by its load of gas. Based on United States National Weather Service data, what altitude will the intact Yerfdog reach?
    1. 500 feet (140 m)
    2. 4,000 feet (1200 m)
    3. 11,000 feet (3350 m)
    4. 28,000 feet (8500 m)
  6. Based on data supplied by the US National Weather Service and on laboratory studies, what do scientists think eventually happens to most released Yerfdogs?
    1. They float and are carried by winds until encountering an object which pops it.
    2. They rise until the decrease in pressure results in the expansion of the Yerfdog, causing the stretched and frozen rubber to burst into small fragments.
    3. They float until enough helium has diffused or leaked out for it to sink back to earth intact.
    4. Ozone at higher altitudes decomposes the latex, eventually forming a small hole, causing the Yerfdog to deflate and fall back to earth.
  7. The remains of the unfortunate Yerfdog, after falling back to Earth, rest on a pile of maple leaves. What best describes its eventual fate?
    1. The fragments will degrade long after the leaves are entirely decomposed, but in a short enough timespan that the tree will still be standing.
    2. The Yerfdog and the oak leaves will biodegrade at roughly the same rate.
    3. Treated latex is nearly inert chemically. The entire tree will decompose centuries before the Yerfdog ultimately degrades.
    4. The Yerfdog will decompose much faster than the oak leaves.
  8. Suppose, instead, that rains cause the fragments of the Yerfdog to wash into the ocean before they can begin to decompose. Which of the following actually happened?
    1. Cathy Beck showed in a study that balloons were involved in the deaths of more than 800 sea cows examined over an eight-year period.
    2. Pamela Smith of the Marine Sciences department at the University of Texas concluded that balloon pieces were the cause of death of 5% of autopsied sea turtles.
    3. In 1997 the Discovery channel presented a case of intestinal obstruction in a whale caused by a balloon fragment.

Last edited by diginova; 08-03-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #33
diginova
Dumb Person

Default Question 6

Question 6 is at the bottom of this post.

The first Special is now complete, pushing the total possible points up to 75. The 2 bonus points go to Mossysox, with a raw score of 26. The answer with explanations:
  1. 3, a thin layer of bark is shaved from a rubber tree, and a receptacle is placed below the cut to collect the sap that exudes from the unharmed tree. (0/1/4/2)Neil Tillotson invented balloons in 1931, after his frustration with trying to create latex tire tubes. Most Hevea brasilliensis trees will produce latex for 40 years.
  2. 2, Mercuric oxide [HgO]. (1/4/0/2)Mercuric oxide is highly poisonous, and thus not used in manufacturing non-toxic latex balloons. The most common coagulant is calcium nitrate, also known as saltpeter, though other salts and, rarely, alcohols can also be used.
  3. 2, No. (0/4)All or nothing on this question. 11” balloons normally remain in the air for between 12 and 16 hours. After then, enough helium has diffused out of the holes in the latex for the balloon to lose its buoyancy.
  4. 5, None of the above. (0/1/2/0/4)Floating latex balloons are not known to cause any hazards to animals or humans. Mylar and weather balloons have been picked up on radar systems, though, and though ozone decomposes balloons, they have not caused any significant threat to the integrity of the ozone layer.
  5. 4, 28,000 feet (8500 m). (0/1/2/4)An 11” balloon will rise at a rate of 5-6 feet per second and reach its maximum height after 1½ hours. It is estimated that 95% of balloons reach this altitude before popping.
  6. 2, They rise until the decrease in pressure results in the expansion of the Yerfdog, causing the stretched and frozen rubber to burst into small fragments. (1/4/2/0)At an altitude of five miles, the latex is brittle and frozen, and is stretched to the breaking point by the low-pressure upper altitude, and asplodes into fragments. The remaining 5% are either prematurely popped by natural or artificial means, or develop a small hole and sink back to earth.
  7. 2, The Yerfdog and the oak leaves will biodegrade at roughly the same rate. (2/4/0/1)Most balloons decompose over the course of between 3 weeks and 4 years, about the same time it takes oak leaves to degrade. In rare cases, depending on location and environment, a balloon can take a longer time to biodegrade.
  8. 3, In 1997 the Discovery channel presented a case of intestinal obstruction in a whale caused by a balloon fragment. (0/2/4)The affected whale had a bowel obstruction that was caused by a balloon it swallowed, and was treated and released. Balloons have caused the death of sea turtles that mistook them for jellyfish, but the figure is nowhere close to 5%, and they are not known to have killed any sea cows.
So the final answers are 3, 2, 2, 5, 4, 2, 2, 3.

Here's the grid of the values of each question:

And here are the results for Question 5:

Current Rankings through 5 of 25 questions
PRESS Ctrl+F5 TO REFRESH IF CURRENT SCORES ARE NOT SHOWN.

Value: 14 / Category: The Power of Cheese / Expired
SUGGESTED BY CHEESELORD (CHEESE QUESTION 1 OF 2)

Answer: Charles de Gaulle Which French president famously posed the question "How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?" while in office in 1962?

Last edited by diginova; 08-05-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #34
Ninja of Frozen Milk

Default Re: Question 6

Ack! I can't see pics on my stupid parental controls so i have no idea what the score is!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #35
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

You are in 9th place with 22 points. Mossysox is winning with 74, and I'm in second with 71.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #36
Ninja of Frozen Milk

Hmm... I may like cheese... but i don't know this!

BTW there are 671 kinds of cheese
(Look on Cheese.com)

Last edited by Ninja of Frozen Milk; 08-04-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: 1 off!
Ninja of Frozen Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #37
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

For those who can't see the pictures or want to see how they're placed;

1st. Mossysox (74)
2nd. Cheese Lord (71)
3rd. Jamul (65)
4th. Mr. Onion (56)
5th. BryanSNK (34)
6th. PlasmaCannonsRule (30)
7th. The Ninja of the Frozen Milk (29)
8th. Happystickman (26)
9th. Drgamer (24)
10th. Munkee (16)
11th. Ryuinfinity, Chaucer (11)
12th. AtkinsSJ (8)
13th. ElMikkino (6)

Last edited by PlasmaCannonsRule; 08-04-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Duuuhhhh..... me stupid!
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #38
diginova
Dumb Person

For the rest of them, I'll go and post it in text format.
And for
The Ninja of Frozen Milk, on the last question, your sub-scores were +4/+2/+0/+4/+0/+4/+0/+4... and I just realized that I made a mistake since those don't seem to add up to 11... your actual score of 18 moves you up to 7th with 29, 1 point behind PCR in 6th.

Here's the upgraded rankings grid:

1 Mossysox 74
2 CheeseLord 71
3 Jamul 65
4 Mr. Onion 56
5 BryanSNK 34
6 PlasmaCannonsRule 30

7 The Ninja of Frozen Milk 29
8 Happystickman 26
9 Drgamer 24
10 Munkee 16
11 31337, Chaucer, Ryuinfinity 11
12 AtkinsSJ 8
13 ElMikkino 6

p.s.:
Question 8 will also be about cheese... American, though, this time.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #39
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

You also appear to have miscounted the score for BryanSNK, who got an 11 on the last question.

Last edited by CheeseLord; 08-04-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #40
diginova
Dumb Person

So that's what I did... when I re-organized the list, I forgot to flip the score column. It will be fixed when the updated list comes out in 11 hours after this question ends.

The category for the next question is "Talk to Chuck".