Couch Potato

Yerfdog Best Starcraft Faction

Which is the best race?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Default Re: Best Starcraft Faction

Comical fifth option!

Nah, I haven't played it. I want to, though.

Last edited by Roland; 12-31-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
blackmyth
eats people.

Obviously the Protoss. Just grab a Dark Archon, mind control a Drone and the Terran version of the Drone, and you can make anything.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: Best Starcraft Faction

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmyth View Post
Obviously the Protoss. Just grab a Dark Archon, mind control a Drone and the Terran version of the Drone, and you can make anything.
Those are SCVs.

I like the zerg- Big cheap armies that level bases quickly make me happy.

I don't have brood war yet, so I haven't tried Dark Archons. But I bet researching that is expensive, not to mention that the opponent should be able to blow up the drone quickly before it escapes.

Last edited by Coolguy; 12-31-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
Those are SCVs.

I like the zerg- Big cheap armies that level bases quickly make me happy.

I don't have brood war yet, so I haven't tried Dark Archons. But I bet researching that is expensive, not to mention that the opponent should be able to blow up the drone quickly before it escapes.
If you sneak the drone out of an expansion it shouldn't be too hard. I've tried it with banshee possession in WC3 against easy AIs. Anyhow, I've only played the demo, so Terran is the only race I've played.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
blackmyth
eats people.

You don't have to research Dark Archons, just combine two Dark Templars and there you have it. The Dark Archon also has Maelstrom and Feedback.

Feedback drains all of the targets energy, and then deals that much damage to the target (if the target has more energy then HP, then they die).

Maelstrom stuns any organic units in a certain radius of the attack (making it incredibly effective against Zerg attacks), and prevents them from doing ANYTHING for about 12 seconds.

Also, here's a little piece I found somewhere on Mind Control.

Quote:

The most intriguing use of Mind Control is the ability to capture an enemy worker unit (SCV, Probe or Drone) and building an entire colony with it (given that you have the resources). Once captured, each species under your control will require its own supply (Supply Depots for Terrans, Pylons for Protoss and Overlords for the Zerg). The fact that each supply source is interdependent of each other means that you can conceivably triple your usual unit limit (200 for Terran, 200 for Zerg and 200 for the Protoss you already control, for a total of 600 units under your command). However, you will use the same resource pool to build up each race so the matter of deciding which resource needs to be used for which task becomes that much more complicated. Also any units you Mind Control afterwards will count towards the supply units for the relevant species. You aren't limited by supply when you Mind Control, but if your Mind Controlled units require more supply than you possess, then you will not be able to produce any more units for that species.
Another excellent target for Mind Control is any enemy transport (Shuttle, Dropship or Overlord). Once Mind Controlled, the transport and any units it happens to be carrying ALL become yours to command. Not only does it give you the advantage of more units under your control, it also means your opponent has that much less to attack you with.
One thing to watch out for against Protoss opponents is Hallucinated Units. Mind Controlling a Hallucination will instantly kill the unit, so if you see this happen, rest assured that a unit dying after you Mind Controlled it is not a bug, but a Hallucination produced by your opponent(s).
Often enough, you don't need to Mind Control a unit just to be able to use it, Mind Control instantly changes the alliance of the affected unit and if it happens to be in the midst of an enemy force, they will react instantly to the new found enemy presence, which in turn draws fire away from any units that you may be using to attack the force. Example: If you capture a Terran ground unit that is between two or more Terran Siege Tanks in Siege Mode, the tanks will instantly retaliate with a blast on the new "enemy" which can kill any nearby units with the splash damage of the blast, while giving any of your attacking units more time to destroy the enemy.
Once Mind Controlled, an enemy's command queue is canceled, whether it be a command to move, attack or produce (i.e. Reavers queueing up Scarabs). The one exception is, if you Mind Control a Terran Ghost that has targeted a site for a Nuclear Strike, you then have the option to allow the the Nuclear Strike to follow through or cancel (if the Nuke is coming your way). However, if the Ghost has finished sighting for the Nuke when you Mind Control it, the Nuke will hit regardless of what you do with the Ghost.
Mind Control also transfers any unique upgrades that an affected unit may have received prior to the Mind Control (weapon, armor and shield upgrades do not transfer) to the player that used the Mind Control. Example: If you Mind Control a Dragoon with the Singularity Charge range upgrade, all of your existing and to-be-produced Dragoons will now have that upgrade. The upgrade capture also means that you will no longer be given the option to research the upgrade at your facilities.
One thing Mind Control does NOT transfer is the unit's knowledge of the map. Mind Controlling will not help you reveal any more of the map than you already have already explored. Another thing Mind Control does NOT do is override the tech tree or transfer upgrades that are building dependent. In other words, Mind Controlling a Carrier does not mean you will suddenly be able to produce Carriers at your Stargate without a Fleet Beacon. Also Mind Controlling Terran Ghosts does not give you the ability to initiate a Nuclear Launch without a Nuclear Silo under your control.
As for the enemies killing the Drone/SCV, just keep a transport nearby (if there's no towers), or grab one that strayed too far from their base.

EDIT: Oh, and the Dark Archons have great defense, to make up for the fact that they have no attack.

Last edited by blackmyth; 12-31-2007 at 05:09 PM.
blackmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: Best Starcraft Faction

You took that from battle.net.

I haven't really done much with the Protoss yet- Their units are powerful but they cost a ton (and you have to wait for the stupid pylons to warp in before doing anything else!). The Dark Archon sounds insanely powerful, though.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
blackmyth
eats people.

You should see the normal Archon.