Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yerfdog Mafia Game #20: Brilliant Idea Mafia

BRILLIANT IDEA MAFIA!

(yes, there's a ton to read. Seriously, read it all or you will be sad)

Welcome! You are here on Brilliant Island to participate in a small experiment. This experiment should prove quite harmless to you physically, provided our decontamination systems work as computer models predict when dealing with psychotronic radiation. But that's neither here nor there. We hope to learn much about something or the other very important and scientific with your assistance. While you are here, we ask that you follow a few simple rules. The purpose of these rules will not be explained to you, as that could compromise the validity of the experiment:

1 - All participants in the experiment are either Normals or Anomalies. Beyond this basic fact, nothing more shall be explained about your fellow subjects, but feel free to discuss things openly with them within the confines of the experimental chamber. Anomalies have the unique power of Pyscho-mentative (P.M.) communication with their own group. The strange energies surrounding this power are one focus of our experiment.

2 - Each day, all subjects shall vote together to select one to remove from the experiment. A simple majority will be enough to select the victim. When this person is selected, they will be asked to leave the facility immediately. They may give one final comment before departing, of no longer than 100 words. This comment must be made within 1 day of their ejection.

3 - Anyone who is a Normal will be privately messaged by the lab director upon a completed vote, to be told whether the subject ejected was a Normal or Anomaly. This information will not be made public by the lab, but no restrictions are placed on what subjects may say to each other within the experimental chamber, except that they may not speak during the night. We all need our rest!

4 - Each night, we ask that Anomalies gather their psycho-mentative energy and direct it at one subject continuously during the night. We will measure psychotronic field levels at sunrise, and will immediately remove the person with the highest levels from the experiment and rush them to testing and decontamination. They will no longer be a part of the experiment, but the data gathered will be invaluable! No information shall be released about the afflicted subject beyond their name. As with daytime ejection, these unfortunates may make a final comment of no more than 100 words, from within a leaded glass case where they can't infect anyone else.

5 - There is one way for a person removed from the experiment to return. They must simply guess what the Brilliant Idea actually is! They must get it to within 8 microns of precision and not state anything that is actually incorrect in the process. Guesses may be sent by anyone removed from the experiment to the lab director (Jamul) via private channels. You may make only one guess per day, at any time (i.e. Day 1 and Night 1 are one day, Day 2 and Night 2 are another day). The reply will either state Incorrect (something you said was false), Imprecise (you made no incorrect statements, but did not provide enough information), or Correct (yay!). If you are correct, you shall be returned to the experiment the following morning after a thorough decontamination process. All decisions on accuracy shall be made by the lab director and are final. No element of 'theme' is involved in the Brilliant Idea, it is simply a matter of the design of the experiment itself and the rules.

6 - Once an Anomaly returns by making a correct guess, no one with which he or she has a psycho-mentative bond may make guesses again. Any number of Normals may return to the experiment if ejected, since of course we all know that they can only communicate openly in the experimental chamber and would never risk illegal secret communication that would get them mod-ejected.

7 - Anomalies removed from the experiment for any reason MAY continue to employ psycho-mentative communication with their fellows who remain.

8 - In situations where the experiment's progress depends on input from the subjects (such as selecting a target for psycho-mentative application during the night), please be aware that timeliness is expected. While the lab staff will not directly penalize tardiness (unless it is so long as to be detrimental to the experiment), you will find that your results improve with prompt action.

9 - The experiment will be concluded when one group comprises 50% of the test subjects or more, or all Anomalies have been ejected from the experiment (without them, we have nothing to experiment on!). Then you can all go home, completely unharmed, and you definitely won't be killed and have your records eradicated as though you had never existed.

10 - This experiment is loosely based on the popular internet game "Mafia", and as such, all the rules of Mafia apply beyond the distinctions listed above.

Please unpack your things and get comfortable within the experimental chamber. You will all be privately contacted with further information sometime prior to what we are calling DAY 1 of the experiment. DAY 1 begins tomorrow at 11am PST with a roll call.

Thank you all for participating! Please ignore the armed guards stationed at each exit - they are simply here for your protection.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
diginova
Dumb Person

Default Re: Mafia Game #20: Brilliant Idea Mafia

/me tries to exit... not the game, but the facility... I'm claustrophobic.

Last edited by diginova; 08-14-2007 at 01:08 PM.
diginova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Hold Portal...

Anyway, yay!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: Mafia Game #20: Brilliant Idea Mafia

It should be illegal to discuss the Brilliant Idea in the Experimental Chamber, because if a normal revived person said it out loud in the topic, all the normals would have 2 lives and the Mafi- I mean, anomalies would only get 1 bonus life.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Hrrm..... who's townie and who's mafia....... wait, did I say townie and mafia? I meant normal and anomaly! Don't kill me! *blows up* Anyhow, really, identify yourselves foolish anomaly-ings?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Though the lab director cannot comment on the rules, he would like to point out that nobody is anything yet. Please await 11am PST tomorrow to learn of your powers or lack thereof.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

Well, yeah... nevermind. :P

Last edited by regeneratorizer; 08-14-2007 at 01:59 PM.
regeneratorizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Roland
Lynched Day 3

The only bit I don't understand is point 9... Well, I understand that the Normals have to get all the Anomalies, but the Anomalies only have to get %50? Is that because Normals can be revived? But couldn't Normals who have figured out the solution, once they've re-entered the chamber, just chat about it with everyone? Making every townie that dies have the power to come back to life? Or does the 50% compromise that somehow? I'm confused.

Also, it's taking me a while to get used to this themed language!

Last edited by Roland; 08-14-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

He means when anomalies(Mafia, as they are called in the popular internet game) reach the same number of regulars (Townies, in the same respect) the ''Mafia'' win.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Justin
I don't know

Send a message via AIM to Justin Send a message via MSN to Justin

Yay! Confusing language indeed.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:00 AM   #11
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

We shouldn't really be talking about the game yet - it hasn't even started.

We (now including I) are just cluttering up the topic
Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #12
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Wow. This prospect reminds me of several other things. Wow, I never realised I could be so vague.

Seems to me that there are going to be multiple groups of anomalies:
"6 - Once an Anomaly returns by making a correct guess, no one with which he or she has a psycho-mentative bond may make guesses again."
Though that could just mean that only one anomaly can ever return to the facility.

*Totally geeks out.*
Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

The experiment has begun! If something doesn't happen the way you expect from here on out, file it away in your brain and try to discern why it might have occurred. It could prove an invaluable clue to the puzzle you must solve if you are ejected from the experiment.

IT IS DAY 1! Welcome to the experimental chamber. If you have any questions, then share them with your fellow subjects, because the lab staff is not authorized to communicate with you. Now vote on a subject to dismiss from the experiment!

Current Subjects:

AtkinsSJ
Blackmyth
Chaucer
Coolguy
Dave Hettel
Diginova
Drgamer
Hammered
Julianmh102
Justin
Mossysox
Mr.Onion
PlasmaCannonsRule
Regeneratorizer
Roland
WackieWatty
Wesley

(yes, we started quite early... I have to go away all day today!)
Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #14
diginova
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ View Post
Wow. This prospect reminds me of several other things. Wow, I never realised I could be so vague.

Seems to me that there are going to be multiple groups of anomalies:
"6 - Once an Anomaly returns by making a correct guess, no one with which he or she has a psycho-mentative bond may make guesses again."
Though that could just mean that only one anomaly can ever return to the facility.

*Totally geeks out.*
I agree... otherwise, why would they only PM the Normals the alignment of all lynched and killed players? If there was only one abnormal group, the Anomalies would know anyway, so there would be no benefit to PMing vs. posting in the topic.

This game seems to be tilted rather strongly in the townie's favor.

The 4400 live!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #15
diginova
Dumb Person

Can we get Atkins replaced? According to his sig, he's going to miss an entire week of Mafia, and he's had a lot of unplanned vacations recently... and he mainly lurked in Mafia 19... what's to say he won't do the same again?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #16
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Y'know, the rules didn't even really say that the anomaly's night choice even kills. EDIT: Oops, it actually does. This is a weird game, though.

VOTE: Mr Onion, for winning last game even though he shouldn't!

Last edited by Coolguy; 08-15-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #17
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Atkins is not as away as he seems. Both he and WW were able to confirm in under 24 hours, rather than the 48 everyone else had. They are hooked up while on their trip!

EXPERIMENTAL BIRTHDAY TO CHAUCER!
AS A PRESENT, HE SHALL BE IMMUNE TO VOTES TODAY.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #18
Hammered
Nailed It!

Wow! Not even a night kill for evidence of how the anomolies are thinking! That makes this really tough! I don't want to be responsible for an innocents normal's demise though, so, for now, I will VOTE: Chaucer as a special Happy Birthday, because it won't hurt any of my fellow normals.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #19
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Vote totals:

1 Random Vote For A Veggie
1 Ineffective Birthday Vote for Chaucer
Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #20
Coolguy
Couch Potato