Default My Petition

http://www.gopetition.com/online/15006.html

Sign, PLEASE!
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Default Re: My Petition

I don't like to give out my real name to people, so I used the alias Dr. Loony Lunatic.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Ryuinfinity
Banned

Location: Domefield Centre Mission: Defeat the Zirrons in Chyare Strait.

Cool. I would love to help, but I can't give out that much personal info.
Ryuinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

You can't use ailises -- they have to be deleted. If you can't/dont want to give out your information, then don't sign.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
You can't use ailises -- they have to be deleted. If you can't/dont want to give out your information, then don't sign.
Drat, I was just going to sign as Dr. Ivo Robotnik -o_-o (BTW, I don't think many people (from this forum at least) will sign this if it means giving out personal information :P)
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
Drat, I was just going to sign as Dr. Ivo Robotnik -o_-o (BTW, I don't think many people (from this forum at least) will sign this if it means giving out personal information :P)
Sadly, that's true. It would be nice if they did, but they won't. Some people will. Also, http://www.chocolatepet.biz.ly is the site for my whole campaign. I won't say anything that's there already, but, .
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

This won't really help. There's a reason why the kids are working in the first place. They need the money (or their families do). Sadly, the only way to fix this is to fix the problem, not to try to remove the results of horrible conditions.

That's not to say that such things should be allowed; it's just that the petition isn't really going to solve anything (for long periods of time, at least).

And that's assuming that the petition even WORKS
Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

I thought they went for the money,
then when they want to leave
the BIG BAD people tell them
That they can't leave...
Because they owe the company money
for shelter, food, and tools to harvest with!!!!!

For example:
They earn 2 dollars(per day)!!!
They owe 5 dollars for food/shelter/tools(per day)!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
Mossysox
C.H.E.E.S.E. Burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer View Post
This won't really help. There's a reason why the kids are working in the first place. They need the money (or their families do). Sadly, the only way to fix this is to fix the problem, not to try to remove the results of horrible conditions.

That's not to say that such things should be allowed; it's just that the petition isn't really going to solve anything (for long periods of time, at least).

And that's assuming that the petition even WORKS
The reason the kids are made to work in the first place is because a fair price isn't being paid for the goods. If the adults in the family receive a fair wage for the work they do, the whole community benefits. And petitions like this can work. The more that people demand fair trade products, the more pressure it puts on the larger companies to change their trading practices, because of the threat to their own profitability. So yes, Julian - I've signed your petition.

Mossysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 AM   #10
drgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
I thought they went for the money,
then when they want to leave
the BIG BAD people tell them
That they can't leave...
Because they owe the company money
for shelter, food, and tools to harvest with!!!!!

For example:
They earn 2 dollars(per day)!!!
They owe 5 dollars for food/shelter/tools(per day)!!!!!!!
Now where did you hear that? Sounds like the tactics that ex-slave owners used after they 'lost' their slaves...
I'm not exactly sure who provides the cocoa (whether it is the companies themselves, or they get it from a third party who does that)... if it's the third party, it's kind of hard to get them to stop (they WILL find other sellers)... If it's no one (as in you found an unreliable source), this petition is kinda... not useful to the situation over there

And Mossysox, if you so believe that the problem is in overcharging and under paying of the adults (which IS a major factor), then how do you expect the adults to get paid more when you petition those who employ the kids? And yes, the whole community benefits with more money going around. And yes, petitions do work, it's just online ones... not so much (especially with such a limited audience)

And it's going after one BRANCH of a company. Hershey's Canada branch. Ya kinda need to go after the whole company that is doing it. Besides, a whole petition is going to work when people petition/boycott them when the people don't even live in the same country as them. (The full company is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hershey_Company)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:57 AM   #11
Connor S.
RISE, MY MEAT PUPPETS!

I agree with some of thpoints here, and julian, If you havent researched a topic- dont make a petition about it! The children arent being used by the companies, its the farmers that are hired by the companies that use children. If the Farmers were given enough wages- Then of course it would stop. A better petition would be to force Hersheys to give them Better wages. It makes tons more sense.

Also- I've been interested in this topic for a LONG time, and for the past year, I've only eaten Fair Trade chocolate products, to help just a little bit more. Before now I havent really had a good time to bring it up but... If everyone eats only Fair Trade Chocolate Products, we can stop this much more permanetly!Julians way might work-(if his information was correct, and people signed it)- For a while, But it will never stop. The only way is to actually threaten these comapnies.
Connor S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

The children have to do what they do because they need the money. The way to fix that is to fix the Africa/South American economy.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer View Post
Now where did you hear that? Sounds like the tactics that ex-slave owners used after they 'lost' their slaves...
I'm not exactly sure who provides the cocoa (whether it is the companies themselves, or they get it from a third party who does that)... if it's the third party, it's kind of hard to get them to stop (they WILL find other sellers)... If it's no one (as in you found an unreliable source), this petition is kinda... not useful to the situation over there

And Mossysox, if you so believe that the problem is in overcharging and under paying of the adults (which IS a major factor), then how do you expect the adults to get paid more when you petition those who employ the kids? And yes, the whole community benefits with more money going around. And yes, petitions do work, it's just online ones... not so much (especially with such a limited audience)

And it's going after one BRANCH of a company. Hershey's Canada branch. Ya kinda need to go after the whole company that is doing it. Besides, a whole petition is going to work when people petition/boycott them when the people don't even live in the same country as them. (The full company is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hershey_Company)
NO!!!!! I am from Canada! Well, at least I don't eat Hershey.
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
Mossysox
C.H.E.E.S.E. Burgher

Drgamer, I signed this petition because in my experience, the more pressure that is applied to a company to change to a more ethical way of trading, the greater the impetus for change. OK, this may be a very small petition at the moment, but that's how they all start out.

The idea behind this sort of petition is to encourage companies to take responsibility for the actions that are engaged in by their trading partners in order to satisfy their contracts. This involves monitoring the employment practices of the farmers or factories they deal with - something that is now standard good business practice for many large corporations in Europe, and which became so, in many cases, directly as a result of lobbying and consumer pressure.

Besides the general fair trade movement, I'm most familiar with work done by a variety of textile companies to reduce child [/slave] labour in Asia, and what happens in this case is that a minimum standard of behaviour is agreed (and policed) with precisely the contractors who would otherwise use children. So it's not a question of leaving the rogue contractors that a company was dealing with free to work for somebody else - it's about actually eliminating the practice as far as a company can, both by addressing the contractors' willingness to use children, and the families' need for the extra income. (Wage levels for adults being part of the terms of the contract.)

As for whether there's any point in petitioning Hershey Canada instead of Hershey themselves, I would think the answer has to be 'yes'. Many national sub-divisions have a good deal of operational autonomy, so they may be precisely the people to talk to about the sourcing of their cocoa. And if this is actually a parent company matter, if enough noise is made, it will eventually reach more central ears.
On-line petitions really can be effective. This is the method of petitioning that's preferred by many charities, and it was an on-line petition that recently forced the reversal of an immigration decision by my government in a human rights case, just hours before the person in question was due to be deported.

One more thing: I can understand that it may well strike people as odd that a Brit expects to make any impression on a Canadian company, but that's the thing about a global economy. Quite apart from on-line shopping, I've been offered all manner of Hershey products by mail order companies, so my country is clearly deemed to be part of Hershey's marketplace. Which makes me as much a potential customer as anybody else.

Last edited by Mossysox; 11-02-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Mossysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
drgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMikkino View Post
NO!!!!! I am from Canada! Well, at least I don't eat Hershey.
protip: Not everyone is from Canada, nor does everyone live in Canada.

And Mossysox, you may be part of Hershey's market share, but do you actually buy the Canadian branch?

I personally believe that this petition is aimed at the wrong people (and to make the most impact, linked from the wrong website; although I do admit that more petitioners do put some pressure on it, you kinda have to let them know about the petition)

You're entitled to your own opinion (kinda thought that was obvious). I agree with what the petition is meant to do, I just don't agree with the exact going about it.