Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Old 01-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Mafia Discussion Thread

Discuss your future mafia games here! Now then, after being inspired by DotD mafia, I am putting pictures in role PMs!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Default Re: Mafia Discussion Thread

Okay, I'm going to reveal this idea to the public that was never going to happen. This is the Word document so far, with some (Okay, 2 and a bit) role PMs:

‘A Lot to Learn’ Mafia
Setup: 19 players, 5 mafia. Preferably.

Rules/What is this game about? – PLEASE READ: This is no ordinary game of mafia. But the rules remain pretty much the same. Just a big fat game mechanic chucked in, that’s all. And here it is…

All you players are people. Most of you are ordinary, no strange ambitions. Some of you, however, want to really be something! An investigator, etc. These people are assigned roles that tell them what they want to be, and what their list of options are for powers in that category. They can only be one of those powers a game, which they choose right at the start. Each option, as previously stated, is different, but in their field. Some of the better choices in that group take longer to learn. Say, to become a full, normal cop might take 3 nights to learn, whereas a weaker investigative role might take less. Just remember: You can only study to have one specific power. Until you do your study time and pass the exam, you have no power.

RANDOM DISCLAIMERS: The starting night where you pick what you’re going to learn doesn’t count towards actually learning it. This will be Night 0, and will have no mafia kill. In essence, it’s not really a night, more of a conformation thing. Also, if for example, the power you selected takes 2 nights to fully learn and be able to use your power, the night you complete the training on doesn’t count. And, just in case you hadn’t realized, once you learn a power, you can continue to use it each night for the rest of the game. Until you die, obviously.

However, it just so happens that some mafia are coming to town- They have a passion for de-alive-inizing players and creating havoc. So let’s lynch them! Oh, and it’s pretty convenient people are studying their powers now, they’ll come in handy for those mafiates!

Oh, and if some of the role powers confuse you a little, look them up here! Also, feel free to ask me any questions publicly or privately! Thanks for signing up!

One last thing, before this start-game post ends: NO ROLE-CLAIMING!

Powers:

Town

That guy who has a passion for Investigation (town)
You really like investigating. You don’t know why, but you get a real buzz when you find something out. So, you figured, you want to be become an investigator! Your choices in the Investigative business are:
Gunsmith (1 Night studying)
Tracker (2 Nights studying)
Watcher (2 Nights studying)
Burglar/Thief (2 Nights studying)
Cop (fully sane, 3 nights studying)
Forensic Investigator (4 nights studying)
You win when all the mafia are dead. PM me if you have any questions!

That guy who likes protecting people (town)
You LOVE protecting people! It’s just SO heroic, isn’t it? They’re dying one minute, and the next, they’re absolutely fine! What better way than to study the art of protecting people! Your career options for Protection are:
Faith Healer (1 night studying)
Bodyguard (will prove saved person innocent in night scene, 1 night studying)
Regular Doctor (2 nights studying)
Elite Bodyguard (will prove saved person innocent in night scene, 3 nights studying)
Weak Doctor (3 nights studying)
Reviver (power can only be used once, 3 nights studying)
You when all the mafia are dead. PM me if you have any questions!

The guy who doesn’t like being hurt (town)
You just hate being hurt. Being hit in the head with a ball, tripped over, murdalized my mafiamen, whatever. You just don’t like getting hurt.
{it stops there }

Last edited by Roland; 01-26-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
PlasmaCannonsRule

Great idea Roland! Also, there might be minigames in Internet Mafia.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: Mafia Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
Discuss your future mafia games here! Now then, after being inspired by DotD mafia, I am putting pictures in role PMs!
PK did the pictures thing before me, so I can't steal credit for that. (Although I did do weird little trading cards for Superhero Mafia)

Last edited by Coolguy; 01-26-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Of couse, there's my idea for Worlds Collide. Two mafias, two towns. Each mafia corresponds to a town, and vice versa. Neither mafia cares what happens to the other town or mafia, same with the towns. But nobody knows who is in what half of the game.
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Blaaaah.
Sillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Also, I had an interesting premise for a role:

9 players, 8 roles. Onje role is shared by two people!

Really, it's great if you want a 12"player" game, but have 13 people signed up, so you can still include them.

I also thought of the opposite:

There's for example 12 players, but 24 roles. Each person has a double of themselves, but with the same win condition, but with different powers. Only problem is that once one half of your role dies, the other is proven good/bad. So, how do I work that out? A sibling relationship! Yay!

Of course, there is also the set-up for my current game, which is the wicked-ist possible- er, nuthin'.

Last edited by Roland; 01-26-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
PlasmaCannonsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
PK did the pictures thing before me, so I can't steal credit for that. (Although I did do weird little trading cards for Superhero Mafia)
I know PK did. I didn't know about Paint.NET back then, nor was I really interested in it.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!

Mine is going to have that all people have powers, but sometimes, not good ones...
I am hoping to get 16 people. I am Soooooo itchy to start my game...... But i will wait, becuase I have not finished all the role PMs i will send out.

Ufo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Hammered
Nailed It!

That and it isn't your turn until game B7
Old 01-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!

Yeah..... At least it went and made with 2 leagues, so for me to host would not take till 2010...

Ufo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
happystickman
Back From the Dead

My game, will be the most rigged, and cheap, and proboby a really bad, but memerable game. Dont miss it people!

Last edited by happystickman; 01-27-2008 at 06:47 PM.
happystickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
PlasmaCannonsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystickman View Post
My game, will be the most rigged, and cheap, and proboby a really bad, but memerable game. Dont miss it people!
Er, try to make it so that it won't be "likely broken", please?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #13
Hammered
Nailed It!

People who host seriously broken games will most likely be requested to get a competent cohost to help them with their next venture, since otherwise most people won't be willing to signup for that game.

Last edited by Hammered; 01-28-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 AM   #14
happystickman
Back From the Dead

Maybe I should get rid of the crazy idea, Meh, maybe ill save it for Tank mafia later.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #15
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Aha! I have thought of the best game idea!

PWNZOR Mafia! MUCH LATER EDIT: This is how it works:

People choose what class they would like to be in the sign-up topic, like PWNZOR (this isn't necessary, but it feels sort of cool! ). Two (or maybe three, depending on how many people I get) of these people will randomly be mafia and told their partner, as usual.

However, at night, the game becomes a PWNZOR game! It runs exactly the same as a normal PWNZOR game, and the town is still trying to vanquish the mafia, but you can kill people with your moves, and their roles would be revealed in the morning. Of course, remember you can choose not to attack for 1E.

However, like DotD Mafia, because of this game mechanic, the mafia have to 100% annihilate the town. Hooray!

It's a kind of sketchy game idea, but the idea of PWNZOR Mafia had to be raised at some stage or another.

Last edited by Roland; 01-30-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #16
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Aha! I have thought of the best game idea!

PWNZOR Mafia! MUCH LATER EDIT: This is how it works:

People choose what class they would like to be in the sign-up topic, like PWNZOR (this isn't necessary, but it feels sort of cool! ). Two (or maybe three, depending on how many people I get) of these people will randomly be mafia and told their partner, as usual.

However, at night, the game becomes a PWNZOR game! It runs exactly the same as a normal PWNZOR game, and the town is still trying to vanquish the mafia, but you can kill people with your moves, and their roles would be revealed in the morning. Of course, remember you can choose not to attack for 1E.

However, like DotD Mafia, because of this game mechanic, the mafia have to 100% annihilate the town. Hooray!

It's a kind of sketchy game idea, but the idea of PWNZOR Mafia had to be raised at some stage or another.
PK thought of PWNZOR Mafia a couple nights ago (though he didn't fully explain it out) and I've had a slightly similar idea called Card Game Mafia about a million billion years ago.

Last edited by Coolguy; 01-30-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Hmm... Card Game Mafia is nifty, so is PWNZOR mafia. Obviously, both of them would require slightly stronger/more mafia than normal, because every townie is a Vigilante.
Blaaaah.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyman View Post
Hmm... Card Game Mafia is nifty, so is PWNZOR mafia. Obviously, both of them would require slightly stronger/more mafia than normal, because every townie is a Vigilante.
Weak vigilantes, though. The balancing would be nearly impossible, which is why I haven't attempted Card Game Mafia yet.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Yeah. One thing to note is that the mafia are just as strong of vigilantes as the town. They don't have a night-kill, just powers that the townies also have, and communication. This is raw uninformed majority vs. informed minority here.
Blaaaah.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Here's an idea: Choose a Difficulty Level Mafia. Distribute the factions first. Each faction decides whether they want Easy mode, or Hard mode. Informed factions decide amongst themselves, and submit what they finally agree on, townies have a blind vote (with plenty of time for masons to decide amongst themselves what they will both vote), single players just decide. Then, give out roles based on the difficulty levels chosen. Award some prize (Like Yerfbucks) at the end, more for factions in Hard Mode. For further fun, add in more difficulty levels. Instead of taking a flat plurality from the townies if you do that, average out the votes, then round.

If you're going to do this, make sure that the game is well balanced if everybody chooses the same difficulty level.
Blaaaah.

Last edited by Sillyman; 02-06-2008 at 06:28 PM.