Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017
Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.
Moderator
 
AtkinsSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Computers!
Posts: 4,790
Default Total Mayhem

Please, in a civilised, non-argumentative manner, discuss what is or isn't wrong with TM that has been causing so much arguing recently.
__________________
Caution: may contain traces of nuts
AtkinsSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,664
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Regarding the spam, some people ether:

1) Seem to think that the Spam Apocalypse (Don't know how to spell the actual term...) was fun, so some people are trying to make it happen again. I'll admit I said it was fun in an old topic, but it wasn't fun for the people who actually had to do all the work. It also wasn't that great, to be honest. It was just a bunch of posts being deleted, and some forum rules changed. One of the most known changes was that Jamul had removed the post count, so hopefully people would have no reason to spam. (Posts in Total Mayhem actually counted there back then)

2) Are bored, and think making a Spam Apocalypse would make things more interesting.

These may not be the answers, I'm just putting ideas up there.
__________________
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.
Moderator
 
AtkinsSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Computers!
Posts: 4,790
Default Re: Total Mayhem

My main point, is the arguing over RPGs, spam, and rtys. I myself am not that bothered what gets posted, except for all the arguing. There's been one such argument in the chat for over an hour. I'm sick to death of trying to sort things out and being ignored, with people responding with the same thoughtless arguments.

I'm really quite annoyed, but I don't know how to sum it up. For one thing, I care about this community. I don't want to see it become just a huge lump of angry people. I nearly left before because I got fed up with something I can't remember, which makes me now sound really stupid.
__________________
Caution: may contain traces of nuts
AtkinsSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
rtys
Banned
 
rtys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On Hiatus from hamumu, now only posting in Rpgs
Posts: 591
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Dude, there really anit a problem with the rpgs, its just the spam that is the problem.

and Btw, its rude to mention my name like that.

Last edited by rtys; 03-01-2008 at 10:36 AM.
rtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Coolguy
Couch Potato
 
Coolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dumbopolis
Posts: 5,926
Yerfdog Re: Total Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtys View Post
Dude, there really anit a problem with the rpgs, its just the spam that is the problem.

and Btw, its rude to mention my name like that.
If there's no problem right now, then let's not make another total mayhem-esque forum for RPGs. (Which was what we were arguing in the Chat about, for people who weren't there)
__________________
T&T- New Region!
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,664
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ View Post
My main point, is the arguing over RPGs, spam, and rtys. I myself am not that bothered what gets posted, except for all the arguing. There's been one such argument in the chat for over an hour. I'm sick to death of trying to sort things out and being ignored, with people responding with the same thoughtless arguments.

I'm really quite annoyed, but I don't know how to sum it up. For one thing, I care about this community. I don't want to see it become just a huge lump of angry people. I nearly left before because I got fed up with something I can't remember, which makes me now sound really stupid.
Ah, I see your point. And no, you don't sound stupid. If you care about this community, and want to help make a solution to the problems, then why is it embarrassing? If anything, it shows you are a good person, trying to make peace in all of this. Sadly, I'm afraid I have ideas that could help this end... I myself have tried to help, but have ended up going nowhere...
__________________
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
rtys
Banned
 
rtys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On Hiatus from hamumu, now only posting in Rpgs
Posts: 591
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Everyone is fine with the RPGs then?Good.

Anyway,recently,we have a bad bout of spam,they should be deleted yes if they are too obnoxious.
rtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Roland
Lynched Day 3
 
Roland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Innocence
Posts: 2,113
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Oops, I just posted something substantial in a TM thread. EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
An extremely short essay on the current state of Total Mayhem:

What was Total Mayhem originally for, exactly? Well, Total Mayhem was a spam forum, for spam. People are complaining now that there is too much spam and that this spam does not have a point. It's getting so bad to the stage where I can't make one slightly facetious topic without being accused of starting a spamocalypse.

Secondly, a spamocolypse is probably not going to happen out of nowhere (We may need the mods to elaborate on that, I don't know how much provocation the first one was set off with), so Ryuinfinity, for gosh's sakes, stop spamming for a spamocolypse! Even if it were actually possible to get one soon, spamming to get one isn't going to help the situation at all!

Another problem I see is RPG's. My original opinion was that there were too many of these, but now that people are complaining enough about them and creating topics about it and stuff, so I think we can let them slide for now. They aren't absolute garbage. They might not be your cup of tea, but some people have fun with them.

But some people get the idea that we're knee-deep in spam problems, which it seems like we are, but it ended up just being a chain reaction that caused all these topics. The spammers spammed, a billion anti-spam topics were created, the spammers wanted to resist that for some unholy reason, and the incredibly short cycle continued going. Once we get rid of the pointless spam, there's no need to complain and the cycle stops, and we're all happy again.

So please, just stop the 100% pointless spam, and let's move on to somewhat funny garbage topics, or pointless polls, or whatnot. Not all this 100% garbage and a million anti-spam topics and even more topics complaining about the current state of TM.

Stop the pointless spam, please.
__________________
moo

Last edited by Roland; 03-01-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Adding quote of mine
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
TyTBone
College Boi
 
TyTBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,066
Lightbulb Re: Total Mayhem

I hate to say it, and nobody probably cares about my opinion anyway (which is fine ), but I think pointless spam SHOULD be allowed (at least somewhat) in TM. My case? This is TOTAL MAYHEM, and spammers have
rights, too. I think if people truly have something interesting to say that they want others to read, it really, REALLY needs to go under General Blabber.
TM should remain for family friendly craziness!

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, but I agree with Atkins, about not worrying and arguing about it so much. It's Jamul's forum; if he wants to outlaw any form of spam, okay. But if he wants to keep it legal in his forum, okay. No whining.
__________________
Siggy!
(I just read the sig, what a throwback)
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!
 
Ufo-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,336
Default Re: Total Mayhem

I think RPGs that are not just spam, should have a sub-forum in the TM.
__________________
Good Memories.
Steam:

Ufo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
Redbone
She & her pronouns
 
Redbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Burnaby, B.C.
Posts: 3,634
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Agreed. But yhere should be sub-forums everywhere anyways.[/kindofofftopic]
__________________
Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #12
blackmyth
eats people.
 
blackmyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: gm_construct
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Spam, of course. No good reason for spamming has been presented to me thus far.
__________________
No bueno.
"You've fallen into my fiendish trap of standing there waiting for you to just blurt it out for no reason." -Jamul
blackmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
Knittel
Crazy Dude
 
Knittel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At a Dumb place
Posts: 1,177
Default Re: Total Mayhem

There is one problem with GB and TM, I always have. I can't very often decide, where to post my Thread. Many times I decided to use TM, because it's better to me that people will read my stuff, even in TM, than that my stuff gets deleted. So in fact, we would need a mix forum between TM and GB. What do you think about HD: happy Discussions/FD: friendly Discussions, or something like that.
__________________
Frudelsoft Games
Knittel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable
 
Mr.Onion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Posts: 4,862
Default Re: Total Mayhem

That's what Blabber is for!
__________________
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #15
A_Pale_Cow
Ebil Genius
 
A_Pale_Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stuck to the roof of your mouth!!!
Posts: 129
Default Re: Total Mayhem

TM is great!!!
Also, Post count should be returned
More than half my posts are there!!
__________________
02-11-2008, 01:47 AM
A_Pale_Cow
This message has been deleted by Jamul. Reason: TOTAL spam\
A_Pale_Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
rtys
Banned
 
rtys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On Hiatus from hamumu, now only posting in Rpgs
Posts: 591
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
That's what Blabber is for!
which unfortunately, people choose not to put their discussion in General Blabber when they can be put there.
rtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #17
Hammered
Nailed It!
 
Hammered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Beyond the next event horizon
Posts: 4,252
Default Re: Total Mayhem

The main problem, as I see it, is that the explosion of junk posts in Total Mayhem does, in fact, affect everyone.

I am looking at my New Posts screen right now, and I see:
Total Mayhem: 18 posts (well over half of which are complete junk)
General Blabber: 2 posts
Dr. Lunatic: 2 posts
Making Dumb Games: 1 post
Dumb the Game: 1 post
Non-Hamumu Games: 1 post

The Total Mayhem posts covered the entire first screen - I actually have to page down to find anything else. Now, as the Total Mayhem moderator, that's not so bad for me, since I have to read everything anyway, but this means that the handy New Posts function becomes really not so handy after all, because of all that junk.

Add to this the fact that people can only create polls in Total Mayhem and we have another problem. The polls slide down the list so quickly that it is impossible to get a consensus before they slip from visibility.

How many separate topics do we really need for people to post strings of random characters to,? Even back in the days before the Spampocalypse (my term, so it is the correct spelling), people would try to be inventive or at least amusing. Sending one's cat for a walk across one's keyboard is only funny if it is labeled as such. Otherwise, we have to assume that you have diarrhea of the keyboard. If every single spammer feels the need to post strings of random characters to every single junk thread, everything else that people used to be able to have fun with dies because it is just too hard to find.

I'm on my way out to breakfast; I'll continue this thought later, but I think you can see where I'm going with this.
__________________
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #18
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins
 
PlasmaCannonsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: An overly-cliche'd fantasy world called Earth.
Posts: 2,532
Default Re: Total Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pale_Cow View Post
TM is great!!!
Also, Post count should be returned
More than half my posts are there!!
Post count there should not be returned! That would just lead to another Spampocalypse due to everyone spamming there for post count! And, unlike a few of you crazies think (speaking of that, Ryu's sig is untrue. 2 spam topics did not start the Spampocalypse) the Spampocalypse would not be fun or cool. It would probably result im;

1. Spam being completely outlawed in TM.
2. Every single post in TM being deleted.

EDIT: And of course, Hammered couldn't have stated that any better. Creative spam like "U just got eated by ur crocodile" is much more amusing than "ADJFTYTjmfteghjydhdohrlehyseuwojyaebovj4w5ou892q6 8y22h4g85h0h92!!!!!!!threeereeeeeeeeeee@!!##"
__________________
Sigs are for the weak.

Last edited by PlasmaCannonsRule; 03-02-2008 at 07:11 AM.
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #19
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Total Mayhem

FOR ALL YOU SPAMMERS WHO WANT THE SPAMOCOLYPSE:

The Spamocolypse was caused by a lot of people always wanting to have the last post in TM. They probably became insomniacs over it. EVERY SECOND, there was a new post. I wasn't there, but I do know this much. And then, everybody got banned.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss
 
Jamul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hamumu HQ
Posts: 6,118
Default Re: Total Mayhem

One persno got banned.
__________________
Jamul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This thread is not in Total Mayhem Redbone Total Mayhem 3 02-05-2009 11:55 PM
What takes up most of total mayhem? Kerma Total Mayhem 31 09-06-2008 05:01 AM
The 1,008th Total Mayhem Thread varkarrus Total Mayhem 2 04-21-2007 11:10 AM
The 1,000th Total Mayhem Thread! Coolguy Total Mayhem 12 04-20-2007 11:07 AM
Total Mayhem Rules Hammered Total Mayhem 0 06-07-2005 04:10 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.