Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017
Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Default Total Mayhem

Please, in a civilised, non-argumentative manner, discuss what is or isn't wrong with TM that has been causing so much arguing recently.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Default Re: Total Mayhem

Regarding the spam, some people ether:

1) Seem to think that the Spam Apocalypse (Don't know how to spell the actual term...) was fun, so some people are trying to make it happen again. I'll admit I said it was fun in an old topic, but it wasn't fun for the people who actually had to do all the work. It also wasn't that great, to be honest. It was just a bunch of posts being deleted, and some forum rules changed. One of the most known changes was that Jamul had removed the post count, so hopefully people would have no reason to spam. (Posts in Total Mayhem actually counted there back then)

2) Are bored, and think making a Spam Apocalypse would make things more interesting.

These may not be the answers, I'm just putting ideas up there.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

My main point, is the arguing over RPGs, spam, and rtys. I myself am not that bothered what gets posted, except for all the arguing. There's been one such argument in the chat for over an hour. I'm sick to death of trying to sort things out and being ignored, with people responding with the same thoughtless arguments.

I'm really quite annoyed, but I don't know how to sum it up. For one thing, I care about this community. I don't want to see it become just a huge lump of angry people. I nearly left before because I got fed up with something I can't remember, which makes me now sound really stupid.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
rtys
Banned

Dude, there really anit a problem with the rpgs, its just the spam that is the problem.

and Btw, its rude to mention my name like that.

Last edited by rtys; 03-01-2008 at 10:36 AM.
rtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: Total Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtys View Post
Dude, there really anit a problem with the rpgs, its just the spam that is the problem.

and Btw, its rude to mention my name like that.
If there's no problem right now, then let's not make another total mayhem-esque forum for RPGs. (Which was what we were arguing in the Chat about, for people who weren't there)
Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ View Post
My main point, is the arguing over RPGs, spam, and rtys. I myself am not that bothered what gets posted, except for all the arguing. There's been one such argument in the chat for over an hour. I'm sick to death of trying to sort things out and being ignored, with people responding with the same thoughtless arguments.

I'm really quite annoyed, but I don't know how to sum it up. For one thing, I care about this community. I don't want to see it become just a huge lump of angry people. I nearly left before because I got fed up with something I can't remember, which makes me now sound really stupid.
Ah, I see your point. And no, you don't sound stupid. If you care about this community, and want to help make a solution to the problems, then why is it embarrassing? If anything, it shows you are a good person, trying to make peace in all of this. Sadly, I'm afraid I have ideas that could help this end... I myself have tried to help, but have ended up going nowhere...
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
rtys
Banned

Everyone is fine with the RPGs then?Good.

Anyway,recently,we have a bad bout of spam,they should be deleted yes if they are too obnoxious.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Oops, I just posted something substantial in a TM thread. EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
An extremely short essay on the current state of Total Mayhem:

What was Total Mayhem originally for, exactly? Well, Total Mayhem was a spam forum, for spam. People are complaining now that there is too much spam and that this spam does not have a point. It's getting so bad to the stage where I can't make one slightly facetious topic without being accused of starting a spamocalypse.

Secondly, a spamocolypse is probably not going to happen out of nowhere (We may need the mods to elaborate on that, I don't know how much provocation the first one was set off with), so Ryuinfinity, for gosh's sakes, stop spamming for a spamocolypse! Even if it were actually possible to get one soon, spamming to get one isn't going to help the situation at all!

Another problem I see is RPG's. My original opinion was that there were too many of these, but now that people are complaining enough about them and creating topics about it and stuff, so I think we can let them slide for now. They aren't absolute garbage. They might not be your cup of tea, but some people have fun with them.

But some people get the idea that we're knee-deep in spam problems, which it seems like we are, but it ended up just being a chain reaction that caused all these topics. The spammers spammed, a billion anti-spam topics were created, the spammers wanted to resist that for some unholy reason, and the incredibly short cycle continued going. Once we get rid of the pointless spam, there's no need to complain and the cycle stops, and we're all happy again.

So please, just stop the 100% pointless spam, and let's move on to somewhat funny garbage topics, or pointless polls, or whatnot. Not all this 100% garbage and a million anti-spam topics and even more topics complaining about the current state of TM.

Stop the pointless spam, please.

Last edited by Roland; 03-01-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Adding quote of mine
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
TyTBone
College Boi

Lightbulb Re: Total Mayhem

I hate to say it, and nobody probably cares about my opinion anyway (which is fine ), but I think pointless spam SHOULD be allowed (at least somewhat) in TM. My case? This is TOTAL MAYHEM, and spammers have
rights, too. I think if people truly have something interesting to say that they want others to read, it really, REALLY needs to go under General Blabber.
TM should remain for family friendly craziness!

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, but I agree with Atkins, about not worrying and arguing about it so much. It's Jamul's forum; if he wants to outlaw any form of spam, okay. But if he wants to keep it legal in his forum, okay. No whining.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!

I think RPGs that are not just spam, should have a sub-forum in the TM.

Ufo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
Redbone
She & her pronouns

Agreed. But yhere should be sub-forums everywhere anyways.[/kindofofftopic]
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #12
blackmyth
eats people.

Spam, of course. No good reason for spamming has been presented to me thus far.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
Knittel
Crazy Dude

There is one problem with GB and TM, I always have. I can't very often decide, where to post my Thread. Many times I decided to use TM, because it's better to me that people will read my stuff, even in TM, than that my stuff gets deleted. So in fact, we would need a mix forum between TM and GB. What do you think about HD: happy Discussions/FD: friendly Discussions, or something like that.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

That's what Blabber is for!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #15
A_Pale_Cow
Ebil Genius

TM is great!!!
Also, Post count should be returned
More than half my posts are there!!
02-11-2008, 01:47 AM
A_Pale_Cow
This message has been deleted by Jamul. Reason: TOTAL spam\
A_Pale_Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
rtys
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
That's what Blabber is for!
which unfortunately, people choose not to put their discussion in General Blabber when they can be put there.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #17
Hammered
Nailed It!

The main problem, as I see it, is that the explosion of junk posts in Total Mayhem does, in fact, affect everyone.

I am looking at my New Posts screen right now, and I see:
Total Mayhem: 18 posts (well over half of which are complete junk)
General Blabber: 2 posts
Dr. Lunatic: 2 posts
Making Dumb Games: 1 post
Dumb the Game: 1 post
Non-Hamumu Games: 1 post

The Total Mayhem posts covered the entire first screen - I actually have to page down to find anything else. Now, as the Total Mayhem moderator, that's not so bad for me, since I have to read everything anyway, but this means that the handy New Posts function becomes really not so handy after all, because of all that junk.

Add to this the fact that people can only create polls in Total Mayhem and we have another problem. The polls slide down the list so quickly that it is impossible to get a consensus before they slip from visibility.

How many separate topics do we really need for people to post strings of random characters to,? Even back in the days before the Spampocalypse (my term, so it is the correct spelling), people would try to be inventive or at least amusing. Sending one's cat for a walk across one's keyboard is only funny if it is labeled as such. Otherwise, we have to assume that you have diarrhea of the keyboard. If every single spammer feels the need to post strings of random characters to every single junk thread, everything else that people used to be able to have fun with dies because it is just too hard to find.

I'm on my way out to breakfast; I'll continue this thought later, but I think you can see where I'm going with this.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #18
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pale_Cow View Post
TM is great!!!
Also, Post count should be returned
More than half my posts are there!!
Post count there should not be returned! That would just lead to another Spampocalypse due to everyone spamming there for post count! And, unlike a few of you crazies think (speaking of that, Ryu's sig is untrue. 2 spam topics did not start the Spampocalypse) the Spampocalypse would not be fun or cool. It would probably result im;

1. Spam being completely outlawed in TM.
2. Every single post in TM being deleted.

EDIT: And of course, Hammered couldn't have stated that any better. Creative spam like "U just got eated by ur crocodile" is much more amusing than "ADJFTYTjmfteghjydhdohrlehyseuwojyaebovj4w5ou892q6 8y22h4g85h0h92!!!!!!!threeereeeeeeeeeee@!!##"

Last edited by PlasmaCannonsRule; 03-02-2008 at 07:11 AM.
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #19
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

FOR ALL YOU SPAMMERS WHO WANT THE SPAMOCOLYPSE:

The Spamocolypse was caused by a lot of people always wanting to have the last post in TM. They probably became insomniacs over it. EVERY SECOND, there was a new post. I wasn't there, but I do know this much. And then, everybody got banned.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

One persno got banned.