Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Non-Hamumu Games

Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
chinook
Puny Immortal

Thumbs up Your 5 Favorite Indie Games

I searched for "favorite indie games" and didn't get any hits. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I was reading through the archives Gametunnel's monthly Round-Up of old (http://www.gametunnel.com/cat_mru.php), and it occurred to me that indie games are some of the best things out there. Sure, we all enjoy some Zelda and GTA, too, but we feel a lot better about dropping some of our hard earned cash on some games made by some guy in his bedroom.

What are your 5 favorite independent games? Give a bit of reasoning if you can, and if they are SUPER obscure, provide a link!

#5. Armadillo Run - This "The Incredible Machine"-esque physics games really floats my boat. The best thing about it is making your own levels and sending them to your friends to try to beat. You can also upload them to the website. Give it a shot.

#4. Knytt Stories - Essentially, this is just a really amazing level editor, which includes 4 (and MANY more downloadable, and arguably better) really well done episodes. Pure platforming greatness. If you haven't played this game, you're really missing out.

#3. Dr. Lunatic - Supreme with Cheese - For me, this is the ultimate game of 'unlockables.' I just love unlocking things. Silly pictures of cookies that a fan made? Great. Lockers? I'll take it. Cheats? Stat counter? New modes? New levels? GIVE ME MORE. I love it. I only bought this game recently, but I'd buy it again.

#2. Dominions 3 - A very, very deep strategy game with tactical elements. Play as an ancient god (or create your own) given physical form, and read the humongous wire-bound manual. Civilization 2 + Magic the Gathering + the Total War series. Not real-time, though, don't worry. Probably the deepest game I've ever attempted to play.

#1. Avernum series - By Spiderweb. Mostly the first 3, although #5 is very good, too. I just love these old-school RPGs. The story and setting is fantasic, and the order you do things is entirely up to you. Many weekends have entirely disappeared due to this series. Maybe you can get past the fairly weak graphics and give it a shot.

Runners-up: Mount & Blade, Loonyland, Jets n' Guns, Dwarf Fortress, Chocolate Castle, Chromadrome 2, DROD, DROD, DROD (it's #6!), Cave Story, and the Trilby games.

Please add your faves!
chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Default Re: Your 5 Favorite Indie Games

DROD is pretty awesome, though I'm not much good at it. Same with Armadillo Run I suppose. I played Knytt Stories for a while, along with the other games by the same guy, but pretty-much forgot about them. Very pretty though.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992

5. Fastcrawl: A randomly generated RPG that takes about a half-hour to complete on the short setting.
4. Fate: A light-hearted Diablo-esque game where you must adventure through dungeons with your dog or cat (who can be transformed temporarily with fish).
3. MUGEN. The free 2D fighting game you build yourself! Peter Griffin vs. Marvin the Martian? Yes! Wolverine beating 7 colors of crap out of Sonic the Hedgehog? It can happen! Mortal Kombat characters doing fatalities on Sonic? It will happen!
2. Hurrican. An awesome homage to the Turrican series with 8 gigantic levels with explosive action!
1. Hamumu games.

Last edited by bobinator1992; 05-14-2008 at 05:56 PM.
bobinator1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinator1992 View Post
5. Fastcrawl: A randomly generated RPG that takes about a half-hour to complete on the short setting.
4. Fate: A light-hearted Diablo-esque game where you must adventure through dungeons with your dog or cat (who can be transformed temporarily with fish).
3. MUGEN. The free 2D fighting game you build yourself! Peter Griffin vs. Marvin the Martian? Yes! Wolverine beating 7 colors of crap out of Sonic the Hedgehog? It can happen! Mortal Kombat characters doing fatalities on Sonic? It will happen!
2. Hurrican. An awesome homage to the Turrican series with 8 gigantic levels with explosive action!
1. Hamumu games.
oh yes...Fate is really cool but it doesn't last long cause you get bored after some time so I suggest buying SWC cause it lasts (almost)forever
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat

Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt

1. Dr. Lunatic Supreme with Cheese (yes, I still want to get it)
2. Kid Mystic
3. FATE
4. Final Drive Nitro
5. Jets'n'Guns
"The Burninator is an enigmatic weapon. Apparently forged in the medieval ages by a wizard who loved fireballs, the Burninator is regarded in legend as the ultimate fusion between arcane combustion and napalm technology."

Last edited by Androgeos Exeunt; 05-18-2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Eh, I forgot Kid Mystic...
Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

1:SWC
2:LL2
3:Jets'n'Guns
4:I don't renember...
5:Sleepless Hollow
Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Have a look at "Eets" and "DEFCON." Very good and cheap games.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
TyTBone
College Boi

Talking Re: Your 5 Favorite Indie Games

1. Speedy Eggbert (ah, great memories)

2. Crazy Drake (also really good memories!)

3. HPG! I just know it...

4. Wild Wheels

5. Supreme with Cheese

Also, there are a bunch of PopCap games that I really enjoy...

Last edited by TyTBone; 05-22-2008 at 01:03 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

1. Speedy Eggbert (2) (not sure if that's even an indie game actually -o_-o)

2. Clonk series (by a German developer, very unknown everywhere else in the world (though the games have English language support); all the older games are now available for free :D)

3. MESH: Hero Defiant (really low quality in artistic aspects, but great level design and very customisable)

4. Pekka Kana 2 (just the right level of difficulty for me ;P)

5. Crazy Drake (again not sure if it's indie, impossible to find any information on the developer -o_-o)

Above list may not be 100% accurate, I just put some good games I could think of there, not sure if those would actually be my top 5 :P Other games worth checking out include, but are not limited to Glace, Svetlograd, Galapago, Cactus Bruce and the Corporate Monkeys (come on, how could you pass it up with that name? :D), Fraxy and HitBlock. And I probably still forgot half of the games I should have mentioned. Meh.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 05-22-2008 at 05:52 AM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook View Post

#5. Armadillo Run - This "The Incredible Machine"-esque physics games really floats my boat. The best thing about it is making your own levels and sending them to your friends to try to beat. You can also upload them to the website. Give it a shot.
I played the demo. This game is really cool, and I want to get it some day soon. A goofier and less scientifically accurate game of this genre is Gadgets (published by eGames).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
1. Speedy Eggbert (2) (not sure if that's even an indie game actually -o_-o)
I don't know. Both Speedy Eggbert (or Blupi) and Wild Wheels were made by a company called Epsitec. http://www.epsitec.ch/index-e.php Based in Switzerland. http://www.epsitec.ch/epsitec-e.php

Quote:
5. Crazy Drake (again not sure if it's indie, impossible to find any information on the developer -o_-o)
This contains a little info:

http://pc.gamezone.com/gamesell/p10242.htm

Last edited by TyTBone; 05-22-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
2. Clonk series (by a German developer, very unknown everywhere else in the world (though the games have English language support); all the older games are now available for free )
Do you mean like Clonk Planet, Clonk Endeavour, Clonk RAGE(Not sure if that is one... I think it is) and others?
I know alot of people who play Clonk Planet!
(That's the free one, right?)

Don't know if any of them actually buy the ones that cost money though.... I think the game is fun to play every now and then, not good enough to make me want to pay for it though.....
Anyway, I am just assuming that is the Clonks you are talking about

Hmmmmmm... Five favorite Indie games.... I'll come back later with a list...
(Probably just edit it into this post.....)

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 05-22-2008 at 01:27 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Do you mean like Clonk Planet, Clonk Endeavour, Clonk RAGE(Not sure if that is one... I think it is) and others?
I know alot of people who play Clonk Planet!
(That's the free one, right?)
Clonk Planet is now free for you young ones; we still had to pay for that back in the day! *raises cane* (I even still had to pay for Clonk 4 way back; Clonk Planet didn't even exist :D)
Anyway, yeah, that's Clonk Planet. I find it quite surprising that you know people who play that; last time I did anything Clonk-related, the average number of non-German Clonk players seemed to be about 2 or 3 -o_-o I do suppose they're missing out on a lot of things, though, since CCAN (a sharing platform for clonk scenarios and objects) is still exclusively German-language -o_-o (in fact, I just checked it for the first time in, like, 4 years, and it still looks exactly the same :D)

EDIT: Wow, I just checked the Clonk site; Clonk Endeavour is freeware now as well :O

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 05-22-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
EDIT: Wow, I just checked the Clonk site; Clonk Endeavour is freeware now as well :O
I saw that too, when I try to play(not the menu screen, the actual playing part) the screen is all choppy and has lines popping up every now and then...
Hmph, Clonk Planet still works fine...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992

Is it OK if we talk about free games here too?

I just found a neat one: Progress Quest. It's an RPG with nearly no input from you, and you just leave it running in your taskbar. Basically, it all amounts to a bunch of progress bars, but it gives you something to do while you've got a download going. As in, say, right now.

Hey, SpiderPumpkin, I think we're the only two people on Earth who've played Crazy Drake. It was basically a Earthworm Jim ripoff, wasn't it?

Last edited by bobinator1992; 05-22-2008 at 11:24 PM.
bobinator1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinator1992 View Post
Hey, SpiderPumpkin, I think we're the only two people on Earth who've played Crazy Drake. It was basically a Earthworm Jim ripoff, wasn't it?
I resent that statement! Just kidding , but make sure you check out MY list! I haven't played very much Earthworm Jim, so I'm not really sure if it was a rip-off.

I'm guessing a few extra people have played it, as it's been in quite a few eGames packs. (I think it was considered an eGames best-seller at one point - go figure.)
Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #16
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
I saw that too, when I try to play(not the menu screen, the actual playing part) the screen is all choppy and has lines popping up every now and then...
If it still uses the same engine as the Clonk Planet GWE4 (a semi-official fan-developed Clonk version, so it's not on the official site, though Clonk Endeavour is apparently based on it) then I know what you're talking about, though I'm not sure how to fix it. I had the same problem with my old graphics card, but now everything is working fine with my current one. -o_-o Does Endeavour still have an option to use the old 256 colours graphics like GWE4? If it does, try activating that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone
I resent that statement! Just kidding , but make sure you check out MY list! I haven't played very much Earthworm Jim, so I'm not really sure if it was a rip-off.
Haven't actually played Earthworm Jim either, but I believe that Crazy Drake took that 'invisible bullets' thingy (were you just aim your gun at an enemy and fire until it dies without actually seeing anything hit it) from EWJ. :D
Hmm... Best-seller you say? It's kind of strange how it's impossible to find any information about Crazy Drake or the game's developer online (except for the eGames demo download links). Speaking of Crazy Drake demos, I think I have some game collection CD lying around somewhere that has a demo of the original, non-eGames-distributed Crazy Drake; only the first world is playable (instead of the first three), the main character isn't wearing a mask, and instead of saying "ouch", he quacks :D I think there are some other changes as well, maybe I'll see if I can still find that demo...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Hmm... Best-seller you say?
Well, I got it and about 14 other "best-selling" eGames games in a 2 disc pack entitled "Entertainment Suite 2". (The tag line is "15 Complete Best-Sellers!") Sadly, the only other games I found entertaining, besides CD, were Speedy Eggbert, Wild Wheels, eGames Fishing, and Snake Arena. (Actually, Dweebs was kinda cool.)

Did this link not lead to anything important?

Last edited by TyTBone; 05-23-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
Did this link not lead to anything important?

That's the exact same text that was used on several other sites :D That site doesn't even offer a download for the demo, and there are 0 comments on the game. It's the first site I saw that actually has full-size screenshots of the game, though. But I was still hoping it would be possible to find some actual more in-depth information or comments or reviews or whatever else on Crazy Drake that would show that someone actually played the game. Every site just uses that "A great Win95/DirectX3 game that will make you think a cartoon character has come to life!" text or a variant of that, and nobody ever comments on the game in any way. And if you click the Neurotech link on the site you linked to, it'll lead you to a list of games made by Neurotech, i.e. only Crazy Drake. Besides being credited as the Crazy Drake developer, "Neurotech" doesn't even seem to exist. -o_-o A Google search for their company name leads me to some neurotechnology sites.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 05-23-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
That's the exact same text that was used on several other sites That site doesn't even offer a download for the demo, and there are 0 comments on the game. It's the first site I saw that actually has full-size screenshots of the game, though. But I was still hoping it would be possible to find some actual more in-depth information or comments or reviews or whatever else on Crazy Drake that would show that someone actually played the game. Every site just uses that "A great Win95/DirectX3 game that will make you think a cartoon character has come to life!" text or a variant of that, and nobody ever comments on the game in any way. And if you click the Neurotech link on the site you linked to, it'll lead you to a list of games made by Neurotech, i.e. only Crazy Drake. Besides being credited as the Crazy Drake developer, "Neurotech" doesn't even seem to exist. -o_-o A Google search for their company name leads me to some neurotechnology sites.
Heh, too bad. It's a good game...
Old 05-24-2008, 04:29 AM   #20
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Quote:
Cactus Bruce and the Corporate Monkeys
Hehe, I remember that. I never bought it, but it was pretty original. More bizarre than the name suggests.