Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

View Poll Results: We want your opinion!
Violent video games are stress relievers. 5 26.32%
Violent video games have no effect. 12 63.16%
Violent video games turn people into homicidal maniacs. 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Whose Side Are You On?

Look at the poll.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
varkarrus
Banned

Default Re: Whose Side Are You On?

I'm kind of on the side of both of top 2. Violent video games are occasionally stress releivers, but sometimes they do the opposite, and sometimes, nothing!
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

Violent video games simply mimic the trend of society to become more violent. This desensitization is not a result of the video games, but a cause. I generally find violent video games to relieve stress, but it shouldn't be the only aspect of the game. Games that use the violence in the place of innovative gameplay really aren't worth creating, and certainly aren't worth playing.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Coolguy
Couch Potato

If you want to cut down on school shootings, make it harder to buy guns, not violent video games!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
TyTBone
College Boi

In my opinion, violent video games don't lead directly to school shootings, but they can certainly play a role in shaping the shooter's mind. It's just another form of desensitization, which is happening all around society, in various forms (certainly not just video games). Of course, video/computer games are different from movies, books, or music in that you have choices as to what you will do. (Kill that guy, avoid killing that innocent, kill the innocent, etc.) Postal 2 is a really interesting example of this, but one that should definitely be kept out the hands of youngins'. Oh, and it's also important to remember that one's age will usually determine how they'll react to the violence in the games, as the human brain isn't fully formed and really ready for "big decisions" until the late teens/early 20s.

In all honesty, can you guys really say that the first time you played a first person shooter (for example), you "left" unchanged?

CG, (cou)2ndamendment(gh).

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't vote because there aren't enough options to be a fair poll.

Last edited by TyTBone; 05-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Violent video games decrease China's sheep trade with Balvania, thus causing a collapse in Mosostonery in middle-eastern Europe.

THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T BUY VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES, KIDS
Old 05-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

As a reply to part of Connor's post; I've played Halo 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 and, admittedly, I don't find gore as gruesome. Stuff like the gore in Postal (which, by the way, seems to me to be more of a gore machine than a video game) and Age of Conan still gross me out a bit.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Side? I am on no one's side, because nobody is on my side.

Actually, I'm going to pick the side that at least all ego-shooters, especially the military-themed ones, turn people into homicidal maniacs, not because it's true, but so maybe people will perhaps start making good games again instead of ultra-realistic military shooter #129531.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
Actually, I'm going to pick the side that at least all ego-shooters, especially the military-themed ones, turn people into homicidal maniacs, not because it's true, but so maybe people will perhaps start making good games again instead of ultra-realistic military shooter #129531.
In many peoples' minds, the more realistic a game=the "gooder" it is. But seriously, isn't that just a matter of opinion? It's not your thing, but apparently enough people like ego-shooters (are we talking Halo, Half-Life, CoD type shooters) that they keep getting churned out. Maybe they're just enjoyed the most in America - we do seem to have less of a problem with violence than many other things.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
As a reply to part of Connor's post; I've played Halo 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 and, admittedly, I don't find gore as gruesome. Stuff like the gore in Postal (which, by the way, seems to me to be more of a gore machine than a video game) and Age of Conan still gross me out a bit.
Ummm...are you sure you don't mean "TyTBone"? Cause I don't see Connor here...

Anyways, yes, Postal(2) is meant to more of a gore machine, one with a dose of extremely dark and twisted humor thrown in. I think the only reason the game was made was to anger people, push the "system" to the limit, etc. (Many seem to have loved it, though; P3 is coming.)

Of course, how often you're exposed to this stuff determines how easily you'll become desensitized.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
But seriously, isn't that just a matter of opinion?
Sure, but I would still like to actually be able to buy a game in a store that's not either a "standard model" clone of some popular genre archetype, be it ego-shooter or MMORPG or whatever, with no heart or soul, or an incredibly low quality and overpriced attempt at making money by some unknown company; sadly though, those two are apparently the only things that can be found in stores anymore. Back then, games actually had effort and first and foremost creativity put into them, and I don't fully realise why people would even want to spend money on the end products of the 'commercial mass production' phenomenon the game market seems to be all about nowadays because everyone just wants to maximise their profit without actually caring about the players anymore. These days, Indie games are really the only computer games that I actually feel like spending money on (and most of the good ones are freeware so they won't even let me spend my money on them :P).
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #12
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yes, really, all the games these days are the WWII / Middle East first-person shooters. I was never really interested in those types of games (except sometimes Halo, and, if you count it as an FPS, Portal).
Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
Yes, really, all the games these days are the WWII / Middle East first-person shooters.
I agree with WWII, but honestly I can't think of many Middle East FPSs.

IMO, I think there are too many MMORPGs and just RPGs for PC. I'd like to see more FPSs, but more variety in them.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
I agree with WWII, but honestly I can't think of many Middle East FPSs.
CoD 4, IIRC.

Quote:
and most of the good ones are freeware so they won't even let me spend my money on them :P).
Find the "Donate" link.

However, I agree that a lot of "mass-market" games are simply FPS shooters with very little innovation, however, that's not to say that HL2/Halo/Portal/TF2 are not good games.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #15
varkarrus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
In my opinion, violent video games don't lead directly to school shootings, but they can certainly play a role in shaping the shooter's mind. It's just another form of desensitization, which is happening all around society, in various forms (certainly not just video games). Of course, video/computer games are different from movies, books, or music in that you have choices as to what you will do. (Kill that guy, avoid killing that innocent, kill the innocent, etc.) Postal 2 is a really interesting example of this, but one that should definitely be kept out the hands of youngins'. Oh, and it's also important to remember that one's age will usually determine how they'll react to the violence in the games, as the human brain isn't fully formed and really ready for "big decisions" until the late teens/early 20s.

In all honesty, can you guys really say that the first time you played a first person shooter (for example), you "left" unchanged?

CG, (cou)2ndamendment(gh).

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't vote because there aren't enough options to be a fair poll.

amen

*googles postal*
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #16
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkarrus View Post

*googles postal*
Ummmm...yeah, I guess I should just say I wasn't trying to promote Postal 2, just saying that it's one of the very few that is "only as violent as you make it." P2 encompasses doing mundane tasks (getting milk, going to the doctor, getting fired, etc.), but it allows you go unleash your "darker side" on NPCs, through various means (including an anthrax-ridden cow's head ).

Great, I just promoted it, didn't I? Okay, it's a really different type of FPS.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
Roland
Lynched Day 3

I agree with Spiderpumpkin.