Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Ion Sumo
Banned

Default Hey Spiderpumpkin, you're writing a book?

In your sig it says that some project is at over 200 pages. Is it a book? When can we see it?
Ion Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Default Re: Hey Spiderpumpkin, you're writing a book?

Yeah, it's a book. I've been working on it for some time now; you'll see it when it's finished and I have managed to get it published somehow :D

It's a fantasy story set in Pelsatia, a world I created a long time ago. I've written a few short stories (all rather rushed, with lots of grammar mistakes and horrid wording :D) set in that world. I you want to read them, I posted them at this forum some time ago, though not many people seemed to care:

The Troll, Zuph the Rogue and The Blue Elf City

Gophirith of the Mountains <- This one is actually quite good imo :o

I may post some more information about the book I'm currently writing if there's demand, though I fear that I may spoil something by doing so :O
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Connor S.
RISE, MY MEAT PUPPETS!

I DEMAND you write!
Connor S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
BaronTaco
Almighty Lord of Tacos

I really hope you can finish and get it published. I had all kinds of stories and a very long novel that I never finished and even though I cooked up a whole new world and story I can't motivate myself to write.
BaronTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

Good luck SP, I'm working on a book myself. Still on the first chapter area though...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Licking Post
Tongue of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronTaco View Post
I really hope you can finish and get it published. I had all kinds of stories and a very long novel that I never finished and even though I cooked up a whole new world and story I can't motivate myself to write.
A lot like me. I've got some really good ideas, but I never get around to writing them down. And I'm really not a good enough writer to do them justice, anyway.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992

What's it about?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Hm... It's hard to post the plot without spoiling anything, but I'm going to try... Well, here goes (of course this is not the text that will be on the back cover, though I'm probably going to base it on this):

Ssalia is a twelve year old ssyrean (half-snake) girl who is known for repeatedly getting involved in strange adventures since she was born*. But when she makes the brief acquaintance of a dragon, her biggest adventure yet is about to start; resolutely, she decides to find the great dragon city of Avienot...

*Actually, "hatched" would be a more appropriate term, considering we're talking about a ssyrean, but that sounds strange -o_-o

Okay, so that sounds really stupid. I can't really summarise it very well... But basically, the story follows Ssalia's adventures as she tries to reach the dragon city, and all that happens on her way. Actually, there's more to it, but I can't explain much without spoiling it.

It's actually almost finished, I just need to write an ending and a proper introduction, and then I'll probably have to read through the whole thing again and try to correct grammar mistakes and unusual wording. Meh. I also need to draw a cover art -o_-o

Quote:
I can't motivate myself to write.
Hmm... I normally motivate myself to write by inventing characters who I like so much that I just have to write about them :D I especially like all the minor characters in my current book, actually :P I recently drew a Photoshop picture of a minor character, but I'm not sure if I should post it.

EDIT: Oh, and in case anyone wants to know, Ssalia's name is pronounced /'sʌljɑ/, and "Avienot" is pronounced /'ɑvjeːnɒt/. Yes, I used the IPA chart :P

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 06-11-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Connor S.
RISE, MY MEAT PUPPETS!

How do you pronounce a "square"?
Connor S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor S. View Post
How do you pronounce a "square"?
/skwɛə(r)/. But what does that have to with the topic? _o
Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992

Are there any humans in your book? It doesn't matter, I'm just curious.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinator1992 View Post
Are there any humans in your book? It doesn't matter, I'm just curious.
There will be no humans in any Pelsatia books, since the books aren't set on Earth, though some races resemble humans a bit in appearance. Although I'm primarily using lots of different and mostly non-human-like races to make things more interesting in general, I'm also doing that because I was getting tired of the "good" humans slaying "evil" dragons and goblins and whatnot; it was about time to write some stories from the perspective of the "monster-like" creatures, like snake people and aforementioned dragons, who can be just as "good" (or evil) as humans, depending on their personality, not their species. :D

Though naturally, the races of Pelsatia "speak English" (or whatever other language the books will be translated to) in the books, since I'm 'translating' the Pelsatian "global tongue" to a language of Earth (think Tolkien translating Westron). I'm trying to eliminate everything that would make Pelsatia seem less believable as a world entirely different from earth; any languages besides the global tongue are left completely unaltered and untranslated. (There's even an actual structure to all the languages, and all the words I'm using actually have a meaning and an etymology... I may release thesauri and documentations of grammar for all the languages some time.)

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 06-12-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
Ion Sumo
Banned

Cool, it's really neat when people try to add new levels of immersion to their story worlds. I'm going to have to check out your other short stories!
Ion Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

What name are you going to publish it under?

When will you be done?

Sorry about all the questions, it just sounds like an interesting book. I might get it if I find it in a Books-A-Million or a Barns and Noble near me!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #15
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Hm, should have answered this post earlier, but I somehow forgot -o_-o Anyway:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinator1992 View Post
What name are you going to publish it under?
I haven't decided on a pseudonym yet. (I will definitely try to use one, since I hate my real name :P)
Quote:
When will you be done?
By November the 15th (i.e. when I turn 18), I hope. Not sure about the legal situation, but I believe I can't even legally have it published while I'm younger than that :P But I still have a lot to do anyway; I need to write a proper ending and introduction, and then I'll have to read through the entire book again and correct grammar mistakes and typos and whatnot. Hmm... Having a proofreader who's a native English speaker would help, maybe I can do something about that. I also need to make a cover art, which I am with 100% certainty going to make myself. Probably won't be anything exceptional, but I hope it turns out at least decent; I've seen some hideous book covers in my life.
Quote:
I might get it if I find it in a Books-A-Million or a Barns and Noble near me!
I believe it will be easier to only try to get it distributed by online retailers at first, so I'm not sure about it ever appearing in an actual store. -o_-o

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 06-13-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #16
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat

Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt
Lightbulb Re: Hey Spiderpumpkin, you're writing a book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
Hm, should have answered this post earlier, but I somehow forgot -o_-o Anyway:

I haven't decided on a pseudonym yet. (I will definitely try to use one, since I hate my real name :P)

By November the 15th (i.e. when I turn 1, I hope. Not sure about the legal situation, but I believe I can't even legally have it published while I'm younger than that :P But I still have a lot to do anyway; I need to write a proper ending and introduction, and then I'll have to read through the entire book again and correct grammar mistakes and typos and whatnot. Hmm... Having a proofreader who's a native English speaker would help, maybe I can do something about that. I also need to make a cover art, which I am with 100% certainty going to make myself. Probably won't be anything exceptional, but I hope it turns out at least decent; I've seen some hideous book covers in my life.

I believe it will be easier to only try to get it distributed by online retailers at first, so I'm not sure about it ever appearing in an actual store. -o_-o
Proofreading? If you can't find anyone, you could try me, although I've only gone as far as marking ninth-graders' essays and am quite a busy person myself (as you doubtless have noticed from how infrequently I post here)...
"The Burninator is an enigmatic weapon. Apparently forged in the medieval ages by a wizard who loved fireballs, the Burninator is regarded in legend as the ultimate fusion between arcane combustion and napalm technology."

Last edited by Androgeos Exeunt; 06-13-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Re-wrote reply for greater comprehension...
Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
drgamer

lulu.com is a great place to get published... sadly, you have to pay more for being able to get it on places like Amazon, or worldwide. Or in brick and morter stores (you need that there barcode)...

I think it'd work for you Spiderpumpkin, but then, you probably already have a place in mind.

I myself am thinking about publishing through lulu
Old 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer View Post
lulu.com is a great place to get published... sadly, you have to pay more for being able to get it on places like Amazon, or worldwide. Or in brick and morter stores (you need that there barcode)...

I think it'd work for you Spiderpumpkin, but then, you probably already have a place in mind.
Yeah... Actually, Lulu was a place I already had in mind :D Though I wasn't sure if I was going to use that, so I didn't post it as a "fact". Actually, I'm still not entirely sure. Meh.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
drgamer

Maybe great writers think alike?

Was it hard to get started writing?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #20
Baconstrips
AKA "Pramtrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
*snip* Okay, so that sounds really stupid. I can't really summarise it very well...
I don't think it does. I makeup stories like that all the time. Now if only I could type them up...
Baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote