Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017
Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Ion Sumo
Banned

Default Why? WHY?!

I hate it when you download something from a site and they zip the file just to put in the site URL. It does not compress the install for the program, it just makes you require twice the disk space until you delete the zip file. What is the point of this when you obviously have downloaded the file from a site and probably still remember what site you downloaded it from? It's like going to an ice cream stand and getting and ice cream stand but when you try to sink your teeth into the delicious ice cream, you find a note in the ice cream that says "You got this ice cream from Bob's Ice Cream Stand!". Maybe it's to prevent redistribution of the file, but they seriously need a better method other than something that only prevents people who have no knowledge of computers whatsoever from spreading the file without the URL. I don't get it at all. Many other sites don't do this but for some reason, just this one does. It really boggles my mind as to why somebody would be compelled to make me waste more disk space by downloading a zip file with no compression and just for the purpose of having a stupid note on it? Oh, goody! It's done unzipping! Now I can just delete the zip file and run the stupid thing like I could have in the first place if the people who made the zip file would have thought it through a little. If I didn't love Gamersponyland so much, I'd just boycott the site altogether.

inb4tl;dr
inb4walloftext

Last edited by Ion Sumo; 06-11-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Ion Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

Default Re: Why? WHY?!

Zip files DO compress the file though, just not as much as some other formats.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Ion Sumo
Banned

But, no. This one compressed maybe a few bytes. That's ALL. I don't like to go through the trouble of unzipping a file when they could have just had me download the install file in the first place. It insults me that they think I would be so stupid as to not know what site I downloaded a file from a few hours ago.
Ion Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

My guess is that they expect you to keep the file that tells you where you got it from so you still know it years later and can tell your children about it, and they can pass it on to their children, and so on. And when the human race is about to die out, the last existing human will still know the website URL.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 06-11-2008 at 10:23 AM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
souperzombie
All your brains belong to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
My guess is that they expect you to keep the file that tells you where you got it from so you still know it years later and can tell your children about it, and they can pass it on to their children, and so on. And when the human race is about to die out, the last existing human will still know the website URL.
But we will never die. We will conquer the universe.

Become one of us.
Join the revolution.
souperzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Indubitably. But if we're not careful it won't be us who conquers the universe, but our various forms of spam. Just think about all the spam that is radiating out from Earth right now in the form of TV and radio waves. No, stop!
Ubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Ninja of Frozen Milk
... is proud to be a furry.

Send a message via MSN to Ninja of Frozen Milk

I prefer .RAR