Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
TyTBone
College Boi

Red face I've Discovered... [part 2]

Lil' recape: I wrote earlier on how I bought the first 2 seasons of Futurama and how I didn't find it all that funny, compared to Family Guy and early South Park. Of course I also tried to explain why.

Anyways, this week I broke down and bought the 3rd season, partially because I wanted to get a few more laughs (mainly from the audio commentary; David X. Cohen paired with John Dimaggio is excellent) and partially because I wanted to continue to see how Fry and Leela continue on. (Well, I already knew, because I looked at Wikipedia, but meh.)

Not really $38 laughs (I got the first 2 seasons on sale), but somewhat entertaining. I was touched by the ending in "The Luck of the Fryish" (Simple Minds' Don't You Forget about Me always makes me teary eyed) and saddened greatly by the ending of the one with all the Space Globetrotters. And I wasn't really looking forward to watching the environmental one about the penguins until I discovered it skewered both sides of the issue. "Parasites Lost" gave me the sniffles. (It was partially sad, partially touching.)

Oh, and nobody cares about this, but I'm going to say it anyways. I think another reason I don't like the show very much is because the writers try to make you think (by including ideas about pertinent issues) at the same time they're trying to make you laugh, and it doesn't carry through very well for me. I tend to prefer to keep those two things separate.

But who cares?! S'all good; I just wanted to write...
Old 07-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Default Re: I've Discovered... [part 2]

That's what makes it amazing!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
That's what makes it amazing!
Please explain.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Something that is amusing and makes you think as well (and as a third prong of amaze, makes you emotional at the same time without just being sappy stupidness). Luck Of The Fryrish and Jurassic Bark are the most emotional episodes for me. I can't think of anything else that pulls that combo off at that level. What can be wrong with an episode that has you laugh out loud, cry, and then discuss philosophy afterwards? If only all entertainment had that kind of depth!

(of course, Hamumu games do! Who can forget the heartbreak of discovering that you missed the Rocket Keychain and will have to go through the whole level over again to get it? And then philosophize on ways to beat the person who made the level)
Old 07-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
Jurassic Bark
Haven't seen that episode. What happens in it?

Quote:
I can't think of anything else that pulls that combo off at that level. What can be wrong with an episode that has you laugh out loud, cry, and then discuss philosophy afterwards?
I partially agree with that, but with such a TV show you can't discuss or argue with the characters, and since I watch it by myself and end up going through everything in my head without a second opinion. So it's more of a personal problem than a general one. Do (or did) you watch with Sol?

Quote:
If only all entertainment had that kind of depth!
I'd have to disagree with that. I prefer comedy shows that are goofy and only scrap the tip of the moral barrel, so that I can laugh more than think. Then I'll get my news and serious information from other sources. I think I already mentioned that, but of course it's just me.

Quote:
Of course, Hamumu games do!
XD

Well, I like Hamumu games because of their 95% goofiness! Please don't change that!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Season 3's a great one, but I'm not much for the sadder endings. However... SPOILER: It is hinted at the end of the last (Non-Movie) episode that Fry and Lelia are starting to like each other, so that sort of makes the endings like the Globetrotter one a little better.

Anyway, Jurassic Bark is the episode where it is discovered Fry's dog from the year 2000 is in a museum, and after being stolen (I don't remember how they do it exactly, but I remember a disco...rain dance...?) he and the others attempt to resurrect it, while Bender is not too keen in the idea. The ending's sad if you're a dog person... (I'm more of a cat person, but still...)

Also, I've been meaning to ask, did you get any of the Futurama movies?
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS

Last edited by Wesley; 07-12-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Season 3's a great one, but I'm not much for the sadder endings.
Indeed. Even though I knew about the SPOILER from Wikipedia, I still felt pretty awful and sad for Fry. Although it's a fact of life, unrequited love is bad (or whatever the word Jamul used in the Journal is.)

Quote:
Anyway, Jurassic Bark is the episode where
Quote:
it is discovered Fry's dog from the year 2000 is in a museum, and after being stolen (I don't remember how they do it exactly, but I remember a disco...rain dance...?) he and the others attempt to resurrect it, while Bender is not too keen in the idea. The ending's sad if you're a dog person... (I'm more of a cat person, but still...)
Resurrect it?! Wow...so the episode has to do with letting things go in death?

Actually, I'm more of a cat person also.

Quote:
Also, I've been meaning to ask, did you get any of the Futurama movies?
No, but I read a little about them on Wikipedia. I'm not really motivated to see them, because, honestly, I think I'll find them to be a waste of my time.

Last edited by Jamul; 07-12-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: language
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote