Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017
Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss
 
Jamul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hamumu HQ
Posts: 6,118
Yerfdog Be Kind

All of a sudden this past week there has been an absolute epidemic of people snapping at each other, attacking and belittling. That's going to stop now.

I'm letting you all know that if you are in any way less than nice to the other people on this forum from this point on, you will immediately get an official warning. Remember that 4 of those within a 1-year span is an automatic ban. So you don't want to get one just because you couldn't resist insulting somebody a little bit.

This isn't a trick or a challenge, there's nothing hard about it. All you have to do is not post things that are hurtful or mean. Just be nice. Say what good things other people have done, say how much you like this or that. Ask or answer questions about games or anything else. As long as you do not say anything that is negative, you have no risk at all.

It is certainly possible to criticize constructively, but it's quite clear that very few people know how to do it. Don't risk it. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
__________________
Jamul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
death
Banned
 
death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: Be Kind

sometimes it is, because sometimes we post stuff that wasn't meant in a mean way. but I see what you're getting at.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss
 
Jamul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hamumu HQ
Posts: 6,118
Default Re: Be Kind

If you have any doubt whether something you say is negative, don't post it. There is nobody here who has trouble distinguishing between something critical and negative and something positive. If it's not actively positive, then don't bother posting, and you won't be at any risk.
__________________
Jamul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
death
Banned
 
death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: Be Kind

what do you mean by actively positive?

Edit: I just thought of something funny (but not neccisarily(sp?)true)
The tighter you tie the chains of restriction, the more fragile they become.

lol! I'm not being serious there. :P

Last edited by death; 08-04-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: funny thought.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
SpiderPumpkin
Banned
 
SpiderPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fat Furry Land
Posts: 1,876
Default Re: Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
It is certainly possible to criticize constructively, but it's quite clear that very few people know how to do it. Don't risk it.
So does that "don't risk it" mean that we're not allowed to give constructive critisism even if we do know how to do that, i.e. posts like "Great game, but imo the main character moves a bit too slowly for my taste, perhaps you could increase his speed a bit"? -o_-o I'd be quite sad if it did, since when I (occasionally) post some things I made here, I'd (personally) find it much more helpful if people pointed out the things that can be improved than tell me about the good things. Of course, other people may think differently, but I do believe that at least if someone should explicitly request constructive critisism, it shouldn't be forbidden to give constructive critisism. Just my two cents.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 08-04-2008 at 01:32 PM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss
 
Jamul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hamumu HQ
Posts: 6,118
Default Re: Be Kind

It is very appropriate and good to offer wise constructive criticism, and it is certainly allowed. Unfortunately, 90% of all such criticism posted on this forum has actually just been insults. Hence "don't risk it", because if you try, you'll probably just post an insult instead. I'm down to zero tolerance on this now because it's gotten so nasty and offensive, and this is supposed to be a place where everyone can feel safe and comfortable.
__________________
Jamul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
TyTBone
College Boi
 
TyTBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,067
Default Re: Be Kind

Also remember that some people are more sensitive than others, I usually being one of them. Personally, I find "" smiley to
actually be "meaner" than "" smiley. Of course, don't hold me to that, since I may use the first one at times, but that's sort of the feeling I get.
__________________
Siggy!
(I just read the sig, what a throwback)

Last edited by TyTBone; 08-04-2008 at 01:45 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
death
Banned
 
death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: Be Kind

that's just a goofy little thing. like in anime how when characters are being pranksters, they're mouths are in a cat mouth shape.

ex: if someone says: this post is dumb

I say: yup

but if I didn't put that emoticon there they might think I was serious. plus no one can smile that wide (exeptc michael jackson)
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
SpiderPumpkin
Banned
 
SpiderPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fat Furry Land
Posts: 1,876
Default Re: Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul
Hence "don't risk it", because if you try, you'll probably just post an insult instead.
That can't really be generalised, though; I can control myself enough to not end up posting an insult instead of helpful and constructive advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
Personally, I find ":p" smiley to
actually be "meaner" than ":D" smiley.
You find smilies mean? Oo I'd never think of a smiley as mean without a "mean" passage of text to go with it. BTW, if I use a "tongue" smiley, it's normally directed at myself for the thing I just said :P Like in the previous sentence. Just saying, because I use those somewhat frequently; don't take them as a metaphor for me sticking my tongue out at you or something xD

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 08-04-2008 at 01:52 PM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
death
Banned
 
death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: Be Kind

I'm kinda wondering about that myself. I noticed that only srtain users posts are deleted. (there may be a reason behind that but I'm just saying)

Edit: you see?

Last edited by death; 08-04-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: case in point
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
LoonyBoy
Banned
 
LoonyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 388
Send a message via MSN to LoonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to LoonyBoy
Default Re: Be Kind

I don't like insulting people cause I don't like to hurt other peoples feelings, cause thats just very wrong. If you aint got nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.
LoonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins
 
PlasmaCannonsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: An overly-cliche'd fantasy world called Earth.
Posts: 2,532
Default Re: Be Kind

Is posting "Please post this junk here." and then providing a link to the Guess What Folks? thread in a spam thread considered an insult or constructive critisism?
__________________
Sigs are for the weak.
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
death
Banned
 
death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: Be Kind

that's the thing. I have a style of doing this like that that are simple and to the point. for example: if someone has a question who's answer I know is on the wiki I say "check the wiki" or something. also, is talking behind someones back via a pm rude? (something tells me the mods can see all pms)
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
that's the thing. I have a style of doing this like that that are simple and to the point. for example: if someone has a question who's answer I know is on the wiki I say "check the wiki" or something. also, is talking behind someones back via a pm rude? (something tells me the mods can see all pms)
NO. Mods cannot see PMs unless they're reported.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #15
Coolguy
Couch Potato
 
Coolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dumbopolis
Posts: 5,926
Default Re: Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
NO. Mods cannot see PMs unless they're reported.
Big Brother can, though. He's always watching.

If you're 'style of posting things' is always mean, you should probably change that style.
__________________
T&T- New Region!

Last edited by Coolguy; 08-04-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
death
Banned
 
death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: Be Kind

that's not what I meant (to be honest, I don't know how you arrived to that conclusion) I don't try to be mean most of the time. I must confess though, there ARE times when I am mean on purpose (everyone has those once in a while) but I am getting better at catching myself.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #17
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable
 
Mr.Onion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Posts: 4,862
Default Re: Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
NO. Mods cannot see PMs unless they're reported.
Jamul can, if he has good reason to.
__________________
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #18
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.
Moderator
 
AtkinsSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Computers!
Posts: 4,790
Default Re: Be Kind

OK, this topic makes me feel guilty, though I'm not sure if I've been mean or not. Probably I have. Oops.

I always took the '' smiley to mean 'I'm just joking, don't take that seriously'. So I suppose people may well have been offended by that. If so, sorry.
__________________
Caution: may contain traces of nuts
AtkinsSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #19
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins
 
PlasmaCannonsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: An overly-cliche'd fantasy world called Earth.
Posts: 2,532
Default Re: Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ View Post
OK, this topic makes me feel guilty, though I'm not sure if I've been mean or not. Probably I have. Oops.

I always took the '' smiley to mean 'I'm just joking, don't take that seriously'. So I suppose people may well have been offended by that. If so, sorry.
Same here.
__________________
Sigs are for the weak.
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of worlds do you like? leesoer Dr. Lunatic 21 09-25-2009 09:30 AM
What Kind Of Fruits do you like best? LoonyBoy Total Mayhem 7 06-30-2008 12:39 AM
what kind of eggs do you like? Maiden Japan 007 Total Mayhem 22 01-10-2008 03:21 PM
What Kind Of Soda? Ufo-Man Total Mayhem 15 12-26-2007 04:16 PM
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what sub-level >& Thomas Kid Mystic 3 04-14-2006 10:13 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.