Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017
Old 08-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

Default First days in school..

Post how your first days in school went!

The bus shop hasn't set up our bus yet, so I had to be dropped off on day one. I greet all the people I know, get hugged many times by our hyper and probably ADD "director"(Like a principal, I guess). Then things continue like normal, I get searched(Shoes off, pockets inside out, then they take a metal detector wand to you), and go to class. Bunch of new kids this year.. And I don't like any of them. Figures, since this is a behavior school. The only two people I did like last year come in the afternoon(I leave school at 11:00AM, afternoon students come at 12:30. Some students who can't work fast stay all day). The rest of the students go over the handbook. For some reason, the teacher trusts me, and so she has me some of her work, like labeling folders, whiting out papers for reuse this year, making new folders and schedules ect on her computer, stuff like that. It's boring, but at least I'm not going over the handbook. At 11:00, I call my parents, sit on that ledge outside of school, and wait for my ride. My only homework was to create a test for all other students on the handbook. Joy.

Day 2! I get to school early because of the no-bus situation, so I sit in the directors room. I mention that I plan to be running for "school president" of Magnolia(The school). She thinks this is a great idea, and promotes me on the spot. No list of duties or things to do or privileges, just the promotion. I plan on using this to set up the first ever Magnolia Talent Show at the end of the year. Maybe do some other things, too. After getting searched, ect, I do more clerical work for the teacher while the students take the test that I oh-so-hastily put together for them the night before. School lets out, and the weekend begins. Can you say "World of Warcraft"?

Lastly, day 3! Day 3 starts like any other day. I do more work for the teacher while the others go over "The Most Dangerous Game". At 11:00AM, I don't go home. I stay at school, and go over to the 4th and 5th grade class. Last year I "tutored" these kids(That is to say, did nothing and hung out until it was time to go). Halfway through doing this, I noticed, "This would look incredibly good on a resume if I ever decide to get into teaching". So, I came back to do it this year. Last year I'd sometimes bring in cool things to show them how'd it work, just so I could keep that vague title of "tutor". Sometimes I'd just bring in my guitar and jam for them(They were my first real fans!). I plan to continue that this year. I bought in my paper ball shooter, AKA the handheld mini spud-gun deluxe. A friend of mine made a potato canon out of PVC pipe, so I scaled it down to launch small paper balls. It's simple, just took a sparker I found in a candle lighter, ran it through some tacs placed near each other inside of a lipstick tube, put a hollowed out pen in there for the barrel, and taped the whole package together. To shoot something, you put a paper ball in the barrel, some hair or body spray(I used Nytrix, because it sounded explosive. Butane FTW!) in the lip stick tube, where the tacs are, close the lipstick in and hold it with your thumb(Otherwise the cap will fly off and hit you in the face) and press the sparker button. With a loud pop, the ball will go flying.

..The teacher didn't look too happy about me showing them this, but she let me continue without interruption.

Those were my first three days of school! Anyone else have any stories?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
supersilver
Banned

Talking Re: First days in school..

yes, i have a story... ... ... ...
supersilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Ninja of Frozen Milk
... is proud to be a furry.

Send a message via MSN to Ninja of Frozen Milk
Default Re: First days in school..

Quote:
Originally Posted by regeneratorizer View Post
[snip]I get searched(Shoes off, pockets inside out, then they take a metal detector wand to you)[/snip]
?????!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninja of Frozen Milk View Post
?????!
Ahh, let me explain.

I came to this school 4 years ago, at the start of my ninth grade year. Katrina had happened, and my records were lost, except, of course, my disciplinary records, which are not the best thing to have on me. I got into a bit of trouble at this new strange school, nothing big, but given what they had on my record.. Well, they just want to prevent any more problems. So, they sent me to Magnolia(Actually Alpha&Omega first, but that's not really important, we'll just say Magnolia). Behavioral school, and all that. Generally, my behavior is a lot better in these schools, because of the restrictive environment. I like it. I go to school with the worst of the worst, but they virtually never get a chance to say anything about me or do anything to me. They send my work from my school to Magnolia, I complete it and send it back. It's a work at your own pace kind of thing. It works very well for me. Also, I get out of school at 11:00. That's a nice perk.

So, I stayed there for a year. At the end, we started having meetings about where to send me. They were talking very seriously about sending me back to regular school because I had been doing well. I said no. They said yes. After much battling and negotiation, I was allowed to stay at Magnolia. Another year passed, and I did much, much better this year, though there were still some problems. They talked even more seriously about sending me back. I battled that idea even more seriously. It was really close, but they let me stay in Magnolia.

The next year, 11th grade, was my best yet. I got in absolutely no trouble at all. I became a teachers pet of sorts, running errands, making copies, ect. ect. I started tutoring the small children across the hall. This was unheard of from any Magnolia student, who are mostly thugs, gangsters, and people who will end up in jail some day. When people in Magnolia get "rehabilitated", if they ever do, they get sent back to regular school. Those who don't usually drop out, get kicked out, or get arrested. For some reason, I was the only one who liked the school and the only one who fought to stay there. The rest of the kids hated the school, and so one way or the other got out. There has to this day never been anyone who graduated from Magnolia. I was, and still am, planning on being the first. The end of the year came, and I was expecting a huge battle to take place for my placement. It didn't happened. There was some resistance, but mostly they started to grow on the idea of me staying. I was a good role model for the younger kids(Who look up to me for some reason... Someone needs to tell them I'm not cool), and a good "spokesperson" of sorts. Because I'm always running errands, I'm usually walking the hallways to get from place to place, and I see a lot of parents coming in looking for directions. Parent's of children who will someday be coming to this school. I help them find their way, am very polite, and generally leave a good impression. I got my work done fast, helped out whoever needed help... In that sea of thugs, I was, as the schools psychologist put it, "Magnolias star student". And so they let me stay.

My last year... for reasons previously mentioned, I was promoted to School President at first mention of the idea. This is a title I think was given out in half-jest, but I fully intend to use it to it's full extent. This is my last year, and I want at least a tiny indent on the school before leaving. I have big plans, most of which haven't even been thought out enough to vocalize, but there are two main things I'm thinking about.

First off, the first ever Magnolia Talent Show.

While Magnolia is a collection of students from other schools, and so is not really an official school on it's own, most students here can't set foot in their actual school without being arrested(Strange, but true), and so cannot participate in their school talent show. So why not host one for Magnolia? I've come up with a bunch of reasons to do this, and I'll write them up into a proposal to show to the director and principal when I get everything planned out. It will give the students a chance to express themselves, introduce them to forms of art they might never have known about, ect. Theres only one problem, and that is funding. This is a big project, and requires money for speakers, microphones, and things like that. I've come up with a few ideas about this, but nothing solid enough to warrant bringing up.

The second idea is.. ahh..

Sort of like clubs, I guess. Like an art club, or music club, or something like that. I'll state the problem with this right off: We'll need at least one teacher for each club. One teacher that actually has an interest in the clubs activities. These clubs will be in place to give the students a time to talk freely about the things they like to do with others. It will provide an open learning environment where students can learn and teach each other things not necessarily school related, but important to them as students. It will give them social skills that they may not have. At first, a teacher will completely run the club, but as time goes on, students will gain control of it and organize things to do together, as a team. This will teach them responsibility, handling group situations, leadership skills, ect. They will be responsible for holding the club together, and more importantly, funds. Each club will be, for the most part, self-sustaining. They may require some startup money, but that will be minimal. After that, they can organize events to get their own money. For example, the art club can hold an art exhibition, the drama club can put on a play at the civic center, cooking club, bake sale. Part of the income from these events can be used to go towards the talent show at the end of the year, which is great, because it'll solve the funding problems. These clubs can be offered as a reward of sorts, giving the students something to work towards. If your good this week, you get to go to your club meetings, ect. Even if the student isn't interested in the club, hey, it's 30 minutes away from the classroom where you get to talk to other students. The one thing all these students share in common is their hatred of sitting still and doing work for 8 hours a day, so of course they'll take an opportunity to get out of the class. In the process, they may learn things in the club they choose to go to.

Of course, theres still the problem of teachers. The teachers here are very busy, and I'm not sure if they'll be willing to take 30 minutes out of their time every friday for this. However, if I can get this up and running, we'll have all the funding we'll need for the talent show, and in the process maybe some of the students will learn how to deal with other people in a way that won't make them go to jail.

So, yeah, I know I really went off topic there, but meh. It's hard for me to control the direction of something this big.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
BlastOButter42
Don't try this at home.

Those sound like great ideas. You seem like you would make a very good president.

At my high school they have a whole slew of "Clubs and Pubs" (short for "publications") for students to join that are almost completely student-run.

BlastOButter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Ninja of Frozen Milk
... is proud to be a furry.

Send a message via MSN to Ninja of Frozen Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by regeneratorizer View Post
(3% Lean Meat)
Wow I never knew you had disapline (awful sp) problems... You seemed like a mild mannered Bruce Wayne to me.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992

I've been in homeschool for the second year in a row. It's a whole lot more relaxing then normal school, because if I had to spend another year, I would have gone crazy.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinator1992 View Post
I've been in homeschool for the second year in a row.
ONOS! Another one!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Adrian
Is the *Chosen One*

Some of you guys are already in school?! I don't start school until September 3rd.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Wow, things seem to be going well for you Regen! The deadline for the end of break here is looming. (But not here yet, like Adrian) Wah, I don't want responsibily yet.

When it comes to homeschool/normal school, I really only prefer normal school because of the people I meet. I'm not really anti-social, but if I was homeschooled, I doubt I'd talk to a non-family person for weeks at a time...
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
Megadog
The Demagogue

Man! I started in February! (However, it is term 3 here so...)

Last edited by Megadog; 08-18-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Wow, things seem to be going well for you Regen! The deadline for the end of break here is looming. (But not here yet, like Adrian) Wah, I don't want responsibily yet.

When it comes to homeschool/normal school, I really only prefer normal school because of the people I meet. I'm not really anti-social, but if I was homeschooled, I doubt I'd talk to a non-family person for weeks at a time...
That entire post pretty much describes me... I sort of forget about people if I don't see them all the time.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Let's see... nothing much happened, except we had a half day, increased our class size from 6 to 10, one of the new kids got sick today (the 2nd day of school), and we managed to ask enough questions to delay the rules conference . And, of course, the other kids and I goofed off when appropriate and told stories like "Remember last year when (name taken out for identity protection) ran into the door while going to recess?" (I'm in 7th grade, so I still have recess)