Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Non-Hamumu Games

Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Default I am OrkinsSJ, hear me roar! - Atkins' Adventures in Azeroth

This morning, I found that none of my Source games would work properly. So I downloaded new graphics drivers. These for some reason came with a 10-day trial of World of Warcraft, and I thought 'Why not?' The drivers fixed the problem, by the way.

It took 4 or 5 attempts to actually register, as it kept thinking I'd timed out. Remarkably, it only took a few seconds to download, as it streams the game while you play rather than having to download the entire internet before playing. Sensible for a trial, though the occasional freezes are a pain.

Anyway, I soon found myself (OrkinsSJ - Hooray for awful names!) running around... killing 10 boars. Which remarkably wasn't stupidly boring. Also in my very limited travels, I got lost trying to find someone who was right at the starting base. I ended up falling off a cliff and getting attacked by a nasty fish thing. I ran all the way back to my corpse to die again. Marvellous.

So I decided to pay the price and resurrect there and then. I was rather lost, and got killed again by a nasty crocodile thingy. And a second time. So I had to pay another 25%-equipment-damage to resurrect, then decided it would be wise to use the magical teleporty stone thing I hadn't realised I had.

Anyway, other than dying, I'm really enjoying it. Even if it is mostly 'Kill 3 million thingumywhatsits for no reason!' quests. The 'hit 5 sleeping peons with an axe' quest was... different. Anyway, it's still entertaining, even though it's grinding. Though I've not been playing for long, so I guess it should still be entertaining at this point.

It really brings to mind what things are wrong with Guild Wars. Here, there's a constant stream of progression, and things are bright and cartoony, and mostly silly. Though the Barrens is quite similar to Guild Wars post-searing, it's so much more interesting looking! And there are no invisible walls; if something looks like you can climb it, you probably can. And if you want to jump off a cliff into a lake so you can't get back, go for it. And you can jump! Whoo!

I actually quite like the way that you have skills in, say, axewielding which constantly improve as you fight. It makes it seem more like I'm getting somewhere, even though I have no idea how '23 in axewielding' compares to anything else.

The UI was a little confusing, but I'm getting the hang of it. But yeah, whoo! I'm on the Anachronos server if anyone's interested. Though I probably won't keep up the monthly payments, because I'm stingy.

EDIT: I'm moving over to Ravencrest, as that seems to be the server that's down with the Hamumu kids. I guess I have to defeat those 10 boars again.

Last edited by AtkinsSJ; 08-22-2008 at 11:55 AM.
AtkinsSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Connor S.
RISE, MY MEAT PUPPETS!

Default Re: I am OrkinsSJ, hear me roar! - Atkins' Adventures in Azeroth

Yeay for orcs. (or trolls I guess) So whats your class?
Connor S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ
I ended up falling off a cliff and getting attacked by a nasty fish thing. I ran all the way back to my corpse to die again. Marvellous.
The exact same thing happened to my Troll Hunter when I had a trial!!!

What race/class are you?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Actually, Ravencrest is only where Jamul is; I guess I could create a new character there, but Grok is Feathermoon.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
The exact same thing happened to my Troll Hunter when I had a trial!!! :p
Lol, everyone loves the fish in Kalimdor, it seems xD My Troll Warrior got killed by one as well on the first day (actually, first night, since it took ages to install) I played the game.
Quote:
What race/class are you?
I'm assuming he's on Orc :D And a class that can wield axes.
Quote:
Anyway, it's still entertaining, even though it's grinding. Though I've not been playing for long, so I guess it should still be entertaining at this point.
It gets considerably less entertaining once you've been "playing for long", especially when you stop seeing any sort of progress on your EXP bar when you kill monsters. (Levels 61-70 are particularly bad; you get, like, 1/5000 of the exp you need to level from a monster :D)
Quote:
And you can jump! Whoo!
Jumping around like an idiot used to be my #1 method of travel.
Quote:
I actually quite like the way that you have skills in, say, axewielding which constantly improve as you fight. It makes it seem more like I'm getting somewhere, even though I have no idea how '23 in axewielding' compares to anything else.
Weapon skills, imo, are the most annoying thing to ever be introduced to a game, since you need to keep them at top level or you won't hit anything; i.e. if you've never used a certain type of weapon before and start using it when you maximum weapon skill is at 150 or something, you'll have to randomly slash away at low-level monsters for hours to raise your skill until you can actually use the weapon.

Oh, and btw, I don't play the game anymore, though I used to. My latest char was a female Tauren Druid :>

EDIT: Oh, and btw, since you're probably playing on the EU servers and not the US servers, you won't get to play together with many Hamumu people anyway -o_-o

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 08-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

I'm an orc hunter; Mr Onion also asked what race I was.

Yeah, pants, it is a completely different server. I guess ping would be painful otherwise. I'll stick to Anachronos.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

I'm in Zangermarsh.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
BryanSNK
Yerfdog!

My 6-months payment plan just ended and I was kinda getting sick of it towards the end. I made a gnome warrior...because they are so tiny and it's really funny to see them tank a bunch of monsters and they are only as tall as people knees.
But after you hit lvl 70 and don't have very many people that you know playing on your server....you can't really do a whole lot. You can't get into any raids or heroics because you don't have any good gear...and you can't get super good gear without running through heroics and doing raids...so I gave up and made some new chars....but never really got past lvl 30 on any of them.
But if anyone ever wants to start some chars on ravencrest with jamul...I'll be up for subscribing again to be able to play with people
Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yeah, my highest is 60, and by the time she gets anywhere near 70 (or more like 61 or 62), Lich King will be here and the goal will be 80! As long as I keep leveling 5 guys at once, Blizzard is going to keep ahead of me.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

I'm sort-of considering signing up as an American, and seeing how bad the ping is. If it's reasonable, playing with crazy Hamumu people is bound to be more fun.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

You should be able to simply select a US server from the server list (well, select US from the part before the server list, then select a server). You don't need a new account or anything. You can give it a try in moments!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
You should be able to simply select a US server from the server list (well, select US from the part before the server list, then select a server). You don't need a new account or anything. You can give it a try in moments!
If that's possible, then it's some new feature they added; when I still played the game, it was absolutely positively impossible to connect to a US server with the EU client, and vice versa.

EDIT: You also needed two seperate accounts if you wanted to play on both the EU and the US servers.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 08-23-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Maybe it doesn't list it... I know I can choose from US, Oceanic, and Development servers (there aren't any of those!), and I figured EU was in the list too. I have not checked.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #14
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

When I chose my server, I got options for EU, US, and Oceanic.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
When I chose my server, I got options for EU, US, and Oceanic.
Hm... that's strange, especially since "US" and "Oceanic" are a single set of servers each while "EU" is multiple sets (for multiple languages). I've googled pictures of the US version Realm Selection screen, and it only shows US and Oceanic, and I'm positive my version of the game showed English, French, German and Spanish as server sets, and nothing else.

EDIT: At least that's how it used to be; I don't know when you chose your server, so I can't say whether anything may have changed.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 08-23-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #16
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I just checked mine, and my options seem to be US, Oceanic, and the remarkably new Latin America! But those were the tabs available on the actual realm list. I am not sure how to step back one notch further to the thing where it asks about recommending a server. I suspect they choose what to offer you based on your IP.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

For Realms, I get options of English, German, French, Spanish or Russian. It asks you to chose between US and EU when registering too - the two are on different sites.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #18
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
But those were the tabs available on the actual realm list. I am not sure how to step back one notch further to the thing where it asks about recommending a server.
My version of the game asked me what language I wanted to use, and offered English, French, German and Spanish, i.e. the languages of the server sets I got to chose from afterwards. I don't remember seeing US servers or anything similar there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
I suspect they choose what to offer you based on your IP.
I found a forum post by someone who downloaded the US client for the trial version and can't play on EU servers with it, so I suppose it depends mostly on the client, not the IP.

EDIT: Wow, there are Russian servers now? :O

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 08-23-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #19
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Day 2, and now I seem to be beating up pretty much anyone that moves, and doesn't happen to be green. The pirate-people, dressed in green, didn't fool me though! As a gentleman orc, I apologised to all the pretty pirate ladies for chopping them up with my axe, so that's OK.

I meant to keep a death-count. I reckon I'm at around 8-10, so I might just start at 8 now. I have at least twice had the fun of being chased by more and more nasty beasties, while trying very hard not to die. Mostly failing though. Still, it's all fun, and has taught me important lessons:
  1. Don't jump off cliffs into bad places, full of nasty monsters, where there's no easy way back.
  2. Don't wait until you're nearly dead before healing. (Almost learned that. Not quite.)
  3. Know how to use your healing items, and what they look like!
  4. Make sure you're in a safe place while chatting to Onion about what death is like. (Oops)
  5. Clearly, someone in WoW has set of a resonance cascade; the sky when you die just isn't natural.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #20
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Is the sky when you die on Earth natural?