Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017
Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
TyTBone
College Boi

Question Mah First World

Can you guys give me suggestions on what elements should be used to make this a really fun world? I certainly new at this, but I'd like to make a world that everyone would want to play.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
King Krazy
resident mandolinist

Default Re: Mah First World

All I can suggest is have variety in gameplay, and try not to do one of the regular types of worlds. I did Cheeseworld because it was a new type and because I like cheese.
King Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14921

This might help; some world building Dos And Don'ts by AtkinsSJ. Also check out the thread by Dave Hettel I'm linking to in that thread.

Something to add to that (though it's sort of being stated in that thread) would be to never overuse "custom monsters". Heck, they didn't even exist originally, and worlds still worked just fine even without them. They're not a requirement, and in fact can often lead world builders to spend less time on the actual levels because the "cool custom monsters" will make up for lack of good level design. Keep in mind that nothing can ever replace good level design, no matter how "cool" it seems.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 09-07-2008 at 06:56 AM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I disagree with King Krazy. You will have a better chance of getting something solid finished if you just make a 'normal world' than if you try some crazy experiment like an RPG or whatever. And the most fun worlds are usually the ones that are just very well done 'normal' ones.

I'd say pick a flavor (forest, desert, arctic, etc), and then make a perfectly ordinary world in that flavor, but make it good! That will give you all the artwork and monsters you need right at your fingertips so you can concentrate on building the best levels possible.

Or, make an HH9 world!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
And the most fun worlds are usually the ones that are just very well done 'normal' ones.
Then again, that does take away from the unique-ness of the world; someone seeing a picture of one of your levels and being unable to tell whether it's from your world or one of the 1,259 other forest worlds isn't exactly desirable imo.

Unless we're talking at cross purposes here and you meant to make a world with ordinary gameplay more than an ordinary theme. I believe King Krazy was talking about basing your world on an original idea/theme, like his cheese-based world, even if the gameplay doesn't necessarily differ from other worlds.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I don't think you should make a unique theme for your first world. There aren't screenshots of worlds up anywhere, so no loss if it looks like others! Making a generic theme (forest, desert) means that you don't need to create any custom artwork, and can just get right down to the business of good gameplay.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
There aren't screenshots of worlds up anywhere, so no loss if it looks like others!
Besides the fact that there are screenshots of some worlds on the Wiki, I believe you're misinterpreting my statement here. I meant that a world that looks just like every other world is less likely to remain in the player's memory as a unique world, even if it's fun.

BTW, TyTBone said that he wants "to make a world that everyone would want to play", and I'm sure a lot of people are sick of seeing the same themes being used over and over again. (I, for one, would rather want to play an original world than "generic forest world #1,260".)
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Mossysox
C.H.E.E.S.E. Burgher

I don't know about standing out as unique, but the worlds(/levels) that stick in my mind are the ones with good gameplay, regardless of how they look.

Back on topic: the only thing I would suggest that hasn't already been explicitly mentioned is to vary the action in your world. Any world that mixes up the elements (some stealth, some underwater levels, some hunting for hidden objects, some puzzling maybe, some fighting 'impossible' odds, say) is going to be much more enjoyable in my opinion than something that picks one element and repeats it everywhere (she says, still working away on a puzzle world...). The most obvious thing to say is to think about the worlds you particularly like playing and see what you can learn from them - and if one doesn't spring to mind, take another look at Dusty Desert or Spooky Forest.
Mossysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
"generic forest world #1,260"
I call that world name!

And also, I think that Mossysox's suggestion is good.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
Scotty
The Lost Artist

I just make anything that's in my mind at the time.