Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #21
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Default Re: "Furries" on American Dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook View Post
And honestly, I can't think of a long-term outcome of revealing your 'furry' interests to your schoolmates that isn't outrageously negative.
Heh... Going to a school for weird, creepy intellectuals sure helps, though. I haven't actually told anyone that I'm a Furry (actually not even sure if I am), but I don't think anyone would care.

EDIT: @bobinator1992 Uh, yes? Oo I think we should take any further discussion on this to PM, since it's really bordering on becoming inappropriate.

EDIT2: Not "today", though, it's 4 in the morning where I live. I need to go to bed -o_-o

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 10-20-2008 at 07:15 PM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #22
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
I find the kind of mental image you seem to have of a Furry to be quite disturbing. I blame media.

EDIT: Very true, Kerma. And it's not like we attack anyone or force them to become Furries, yet people seem to want us to not be Furries, for practically no reason aside from probably being jealous that we're having fun and they're not.
This reminds me of those jerks at my school that hate me for being smarter than them.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

This just has to stop. It's really judgmental. People can live their lives how they want. If you're curious about what that's about, ask away, but if you just want to express that it bothers you, do it somewhere else. This is a friendly forum where we make everyone feel welcome, not attacked.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
TyTBone
College Boi

I don't think this question is inappropriate:

"SP, why are you so interested in Furries? Is it the 'innocence' seemingly associated with them?" (Of course, you realize that real foxes eat rabbits and other animals... furry vs. furry, in this case.)

Quote:
people can live their lives how they want.
"...s'long as they don't hurt no one else." For the most part, I agree with this.

Last edited by TyTBone; 10-20-2008 at 07:29 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #25
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

S'right, we don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #26
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Oh, and SpiderPumpkin...

ChrisDaLunatic said hi.

Last edited by Roland; 10-20-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #27
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
"SP, why are you so interested in Furries? Is it the 'innocence' seemingly associated with them?"
It's the overall feel of friendliness and solidarity regardless of nationality, age and gender that seems quite pronounced in Furry Fandom that makes it so awesome... You don't find much of this in the world anymore. (That, and anthropomorphic animals are cool, because... Well, they just are.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
ChrisDaLunatic said hi.
Oo
Uh, hi back to him xD

Regarding this... situation, I'm open for any level-headed discussion on this topic (possibly via PM).

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 10-21-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #28
Connor S.
RISE, MY MEAT PUPPETS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
anthropomorphic animals are cool, because... Well, they just are.
I totally agree with this.
Connor S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #29
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992

Well, see, the thing is... LIKING anthro characters is not bad. If it were, everybody who liked Sonic, (the old kind or new the new kind) Disney, Looney Toons would be. It's when you start looking at anthro characters meant to 'entice' the viewer or think you ARE an anthro animal, is when things get iffy.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #30
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinator1992 View Post
Well, see, the thing is... LIKING anthro characters is not bad. If it were, everybody who liked Sonic, (the old kind or new the new kind) Disney, Looney Toons would be. It's when you start looking at anthro characters meant to 'entice' the viewer or think you ARE an anthro animal, is when things get iffy.
"Iffy" with a "y", you mean. (Actually two 'y's, but whatever.) Btw, I neither look at pictures like that (and in fact, a lot of people (Furries) dislike them), nor do I actually believe I'm an animal (and i don't think any Furry does); it's just fun to imagine.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 10-21-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #31
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Like I said in the chat: The only thing bad about furries is the internet's tendency to ruin everything, and the widespread hate of them. That, and when they coincidentally get stuck associated with horrible mainstream things... drat you Sega.
Sillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #32
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyman View Post
Like I said in the chat: The only thing bad about furries is the internet's tendency to ruin everything, and the widespread hate of them. That, and when they coincidentally get stuck associated with horrible mainstream things... drat you Sega.
I was thinking... I bet what SEGA does nowadays is import fanfiction writers to write their plot for a lot less than their old writers. We've gone from 'bad guy is doing bad things, good guy must stop him' from 'good guy and his friend must stop bad guy again' to 'bad man discover's good guy's emo evil twin' to 'bad guy had nothing to do with the whole thing and the true bad guy is THE DARK LORD HIMSELF' to 'bad guy transforms good guy into horrible werething'.

Don't forget 'good guy goes back in time to the middle ages and gets a sword. Not appearing: Bad guy.'

It's crazy, I tells ya. :P

Wait... what was the topic? When somebody mentions new Sonic, I tend to lose track of what I'm talking about.

So... weird question. When else have furries popped up in popular media? There was a CSI episode about them, but I don't watch TV much, and I heard a mention of one in a comic book...

Last edited by bobinator1992; 10-21-2008 at 11:54 AM.
bobinator1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #33
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
There was a CSI episode about them
I've heard about that; allegedly, it implies that Furry Conventions would be about... weird Fursuit fascinations (which couldn't be further from the truth; they're actually like Games Conventions for Furry stuff).

Oh, and regarding your question, modern RPGs, especially MMORPGs, tend to have at least one animal-based race in them so that Furries will play them, so I guess we/they did influence that type of media at least. Other than that, the term was mentioned on Dork Tower once; don't know if that counts as an appearance in popular media.

Meh... I think I'll draw some random anthros now.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #34
Ninja of Frozen Milk
... is proud to be a furry.

Send a message via MSN to Ninja of Frozen Milk

Make one a crystal beast sapphire pegasus! or a Ruby Carbuncle.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #35
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

I first encountered Furries about twenty years ago or so, in the comic book Albedo Anthropomorphics. There were a lot of sources of similar stuff at that time, including a role-playing game based on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which provided rules for creating sentient animals in all shapes and sizes. I thought it would be useful as a basis for creating new types of aliens for role playing games, like in Albedo Anthropomorphics, which also had a role-playing game.

I'm not sure when some people decided to be weirded out by Furries. I frankly don't know a lot about the subculture, having merely watched a bunch of videos on YouTube about it, but I gather that it mainly consists of people dressing up in costumes at times of the year other than Hallowe'en. I personally find other hobbies less understandable, like the people who pretend to be vampires, but to each his own. Lots of people dress up these days, like Star Trek characters, superheroes and villains, aliens, and various characters from movies and TV.

But I suspect that the reason people pick on Furries particularly is due to religion. Firstly this is because the tone of the intolerance sounds like stuff the religious right says about lots of other people they don't like. Also, some people might believe that there is a pagan and nature-worshipping component to Furrydom, however unconscious. Go figure.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #36
bobinator1992
Defeater of Idiocy

So... when was the 'first' furry, exactly? Probably they had them since cavemen days, I guess, but when did the official term pop up?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #37
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
So... when was the 'first' furry, exactly? Probably they had them since cavemen days, I guess, but when did the official term pop up?
Copied directly from the Wikipedia article 'cause I'm lazy:

According to fandom historian Fred Patten, the concept of furry originated at a science fiction convention in 1980, when a drawing of a character from Steve Gallacci’s Albedo Anthropomorphics initiated a discussion of anthropomorphic characters in science fiction novels, which in turn initiated a discussion group that met at science fiction and comics conventions. Patten defined "Furry fandom" as "the organized appreciation and dissemination of art and prose regarding 'Furries', or fictional mammalian anthropomorphic characters."

The specific term "Furry fandom" was being used in fanzines as early as 1983, and had become the standard name for the genre by the mid-1990s. However, fans consider the origins of furry fandom to be much earlier, with fictional works such as Kimba, The White Lion released in 1965, Richard Adams' novel Watership Down, published in 1972 (and its 1978 film adaptation), as well as Disney's Robin Hood as oft-cited examples. To distinguish these personae from seriously depicted animal characters, such as Lassie or Old Yeller, cartoon animals are referred to as funny animals, a term that came into use in the 1910s.

During the 1980s, furry fans began to publish fanzines, developing a diverse social group that eventually began to schedule social gatherings. By 1987, there was sufficient interest to stage the first furry convention. Throughout the next decade, the Internet became accessible to the general population and became the most popular means for furry fans to socialize.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #38
varkarrus
Banned

Wowzers!
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #39
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpumpkin
EDIT: Some explanation: I do Furry stuff because it's fun. I am very well capable of thinking on a human level, thank you verrrrry much.
...Did anyone read his edit from before?

What was I going to post again...? Oh right. Foxes and Raccoons are cute, and beating them will result in a giant rabbit falling from the sky to stomp the living daylights out of you.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS

Last edited by Wesley; 10-21-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Broken quote code
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #40
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Foxes and Raccoons are cute...
...in the Furry world. In reality, they can still look and act somewhat cute, but of course foxes are carnivores (as I already mentioned) who eat other furries and raccoons dig through people's garbage. And if they get rabies...well...

So they seem to have their own two separate places in reality and in Furry World...