Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017
Old 12-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
kacper8000
Bacorn Overlord

Default DVD-ROM problem

My DVD-ROM doesn't work. Whenever I put in a CD, it ignores it and when I go on My Computer and from there I enter DVD Drive, I get a message saying "Please insert a disc into Drive D:". What's wrong with it? I want to play SPORE.
kacper8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: DVD-ROM problem

1. Are you sure it's a DVD-ROM drive?
2. Try vaccumning out your computer.
3. If it still doesn't work, buy a new one. After use, they wear out.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
kacper8000
Bacorn Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
1. Are you sure it's a DVD-ROM drive?
2. Try vaccumning out your computer.
3. If it still doesn't work, buy a new one. After use, they wear out.
1. Yes, it is.
2. Yeah, I found some dust in it..
Old 12-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
ALLEN2
The Kid Mystic

go on my computer. then you'll see DVD Dive (F: )
ALLEN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
kacper8000
Bacorn Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLEN2 View Post
go on my computer. then you'll see DVD Dive (F: )
It doesn't work. I still have the message. I think I have to clean my DVD-ROM. But how?

Last edited by kacper8000; 12-24-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Okay, get a glass-cleaning cloth, dampen it by the tiniest amount, rub thoroughly on the disc. I once had to do this with my LL2 CE disc.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

You can also buy special discs with brush bits on, but it might be difficult to find one.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
minmay
Dumb Person

This is exactly what happened with my old CD-ROM drive. Unfortunately I think you'll just need to replace it (that's what I ended up doing), but you can try some other stuff first.

METHOD 1

Go into the Control Panel and double-click on the System icon. Then click on "Hardware" and then "Device Manager." Then find "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and click on the little plus sign. If your drive is in there, double-click on it. (If it's not in the Device Manager AT ALL, then it means that it's been totally improperly installed, but given that it showed up in My Computer, this obviously isn't the case.) Then click on every little tab (the Region and Volume ones are maybe not so important) and look for problems. Then marvel at how unhelpful Windows is at solving them.

Note that this assumes use of Windows XP. If you're using Vista, you're doomed. Sorry.

METHOD 2

Cleaning the drive is definitely a good idea, though depending on how thorough you want to be, it could be difficult.

First you should turn off your computer. Then get a small needle or pin and stick it in the small hole below the drive itself (NOT the headphone jack! The smaller hole!). This will force the drive to open, even with the computer off. Then spray canned high-pressure air (you can buy it at most computer stores) into every little nook you can find.

For more involved cleaning, turn your computer off, unplug your computer (alternatively you can flip the little switch on the back to 0 - I'm NOT talking about the regular on-off switch on the front of the computer! I'm talking about the one on the back! The difference is very important. If you want, I can explain it, but it seems redundant here.), and take the hard drive out. Yes, you actually have to open your computer case, unplug and unscrew the drive, and take it out.
Then you get to dismantle the drive itself. Start by unscrewing everything. Unfortunately, the drive's case is held on not only by those screws, but by a pressure plate. You'll probably need a screwdriver to pry it off, and getting it back on will be a chore, too. Uh, at this point I should warn you that home DVD-ROM drive repair isn't exactly easy.
Anyway, you should now be in the guts of the drive. Do your canned air thing again. It being purely mechanical, you could actually wash it with water if you wanted, but you obviously need to make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before putting it back in the computer, and it's not really very effective anyway.
Congratulations, your drive is now sparkly clean and probably still doesn't work.

METHOD 3

Sometimes you'll get that message if the drive isn't connected properly. A typical DVD-ROM drive has about five slots in the back for cables, but only two of them are needed - one is for a large cable that connects it to the motherboard, and another is for a bundle of wires that connects it to the power source. They're both on the right-hand side (that's if the hard drive is upright and you're looking at it from the back, since that's where the cables will be). Make sure both of these are firmly plugged in and make sure they're also actually plugged into your motherboard and power source instead of just hanging loose in the air!
minmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
yourter12
forever gone

"If you're using Vista, you're doomed. Sorry. " -Minmay

LOL!