Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #21
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Default Re: God.

Quote:
"Science" is the act of coming up with "logical explanations" that can be understood by the human mind, but for that very reason, are already false.
Science isn't automatically false; It is simply the closet humans can currently get with the provided (i.e. gathered) data. The current model of science is accurate enough for most purposes, but doesn't claim to be the "truth".

Quote:
If you know/can prove that a belief is true, it's not a belief anymore.
But surely you believe doing something twice will produce the same result as the first time?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
TyTBone
College Boi

Lol! This reminds me of the Evo. vs. Crea. vs. Spam thread, from long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpumpkin
This debate seems to currently be taking placing in the comments on one of my YouTube videos for whatever reason, and has been taking place so many times in the past that I'm getting sick and tired of it and it never actually results in anything anyway.
I can totally relate. Usually whenever I view something on something religious on YouTube [usually a DC Talk music video], I avoid looking at the comments because I'm almost sure I'll see people arguing over the matter.

Last edited by TyTBone; 03-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #23
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
Science isn't automatically false [...] but doesn't claim to be the "truth".
So what is it, then? :P
I find it interesting that you seem to accept science without demanding evidence that proves it to be "true" (which it can never be, since humans did not make the universe, so it just doesn't work in a way humans can understand). That's also what people do with religion. Science and religion are both placeholders to "explain" what we cannot comprehend, and truly cannot explain therefore. I'm not saying either of those are "bad" or whatever; they both serve a purpose by giving us the comfort of "knowing" how stuff works, and it's okay to believe in explanations like that since that makes life easier. But the only thing humans can truly know is that they know nothing, at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion
But surely you believe doing something twice will produce the same result as the first time?
No. Doing something twice can never result in the exact same thing to happen both times. I believe that there are far too many factors involved in everything aside from what a person does, so the same thing can never happen again. I have no proof, but I believe it to be that way.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #24
Mr.Onion

Quote:
Quote:
Science isn't automatically false. It is simply the closet humans can currently get with the provided (i.e. gathered) data.[...] but doesn't claim to be the "truth".
So what is it, then? :P
It is the thing you conveniently cut out of my post!
Quote:
I find it interesting that you seem to accept science without demanding evidence that proves it to be "true" (which it can never be, since humans did not make the universe, so it just doesn't work in a way humans can understand*). That's also what people do with religion. Science and religion are both placeholders to "explain" what we cannot comprehend, and truly cannot explain therefore. I'm not saying either of those are "bad" or whatever; they both serve a purpose by giving us the comfort of "knowing" how stuff works, and it's okay to believe in explanations like that since that makes life easier. But the only thing humans can truly know is that they know nothing, at all.
How do you know the universe is unknowable? Just because it may be unknowable to you doesn't mean it is entirely unknowable. Also, I accept science because it has evidence behind it, unlike religion, and because it is pratical and useful. Application of religion has not invented anything, nor improved the quality of life for the world.

* You are right, but I don't think you meant that.

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 03-11-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #25
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
It is the thing you conveniently cut out of my post! :p
Which would be true or false?
Quote:
Also, I accept science because it has evidence behind it, unlike religion,
This part is funny. All "evidence" that science has is entirely made up by humans based on observations of things they believe to understand. That's exactly as much evidence as religion has.
Quote:
and because it is pratical and useful.
Never doubted that, didn't claim anything different either. (On a totally unrelated note, I initally read that as "piratical" :D)
Quote:
Application of religion has not invented anything, nor improved the quality of life for the world.
Religion is the basis of ethics. Humans aren't robots that act only based on logic and have no feelings or ethics or insticts, even if your perfect world would apparently be populated by such, as I understand your posts.

EDIT: And besides all that, it's undeniably fun to believe in adventurous concepts :D

EDIT2: On a different note, this is probably my last post in this topic since arguing about this stuff is a complete waste of time, and I initially just popped in to promote paganism :D

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 03-11-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
Mr.Onion

Quote:
All "evidence" that science has is entirely made up by humans based on observations of things they believe to understand. That's exactly as much evidence as religion has.
The bold bit. Religion's "theories" are not always in line with what is observed in reality. Science's, on the most part, are. When they are not, science rewrites the theories so that they conform better to reality. Also, "It accelerates this much when you push it with this much force" isn't exactly open to interpretation, or "made up".

Quote:
(On a totally unrelated note, I initally read that as "piratical" )
That's because it originally said piratical. My spellchecker is dumb.

Quote:
Religion is the basis of ethics. Humans aren't robots that act only based on logic and have no feelings or ethics or insticts, even if your perfect world would apparently be populated by such, as I understand your posts.
Ethics does not require religions, however. It does not take the thread of a man in the sky to convince people not to kill each other. It's as simple as "Grok not hit Thog if Thog not hit Grok."
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #27
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
"It accelerates this much when you push it with this much force" isn't exactly open to interpretation, or "made up".
Explain "it". Explain "accelerates". Explain "this". Explain "much", etc. All the words in that sentence, and their definitions, are entirely made up. Words and numbers don't exist, acceleration doesn't exist, force doesn't exist. It's all made up by humans.
Quote:
It's as simple as "Grok not hit Thog if Thog not hit Grok."
Ah, that explains why we have world peace today! Thank you for explaining. "Grok not hit Thog if Thog kill Grok either."

Okay, this was truly my last post here, I swear to Ra. :P
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
Megadog
The Demagogue

I can see where this will end so I will attempt to post only once.They have proven certain events in history. Jesus was real, there is a Jerusalem and a Bethlehem. But they have not proven GODS existence. And they never will. Because of science. there are only three questions for me, what set off the big bang, what are we supposed to do in our lives, and what happens when we die. These three questions are probably the questions that sparked most religions. If I had to follow a religion, I would probably follow Buddhism.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
Mr.Onion

Quote:
Explain "it". Explain "accelerates". Explain "this". Explain "much", etc. All the words in that sentence, and their definitions, are entirely made up. Words and numbers don't exist, acceleration doesn't exist, force doesn't exist. It's all made up by humans.
The idea applies regardless of how it is expressed. You're essentially arguing that, because we apply labels to things, they don't actually exist. The units are defined in a way that is the same for everyone, regardless of language or background, and numbers do exist, assuming certain properties about them. (which are assumed because that's the way the universe is observed to work)
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #30
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

I don't believe in god, it seems... Unexplainable.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #31
NeedBrains
Zany Zombie

Man, there's too many flaws in any religon for me to endorce it head on. Sorry if I offend everybody (which I might) but here's a quick list off the top of my head. Sorry for any spelling errors.

Judism, Jahovias Witness: No Christmas. I'm too bull-headed to look past that.

Christianity: A senior citizen got 2 of EVERY animal and put them on one boat. Snakes used to talk. The world was made in 7 days. Yeah right.

Athesim (is that a religon?): Everything is made by nothing. When we all die, we just die. True? Maybe. Depressing? Overly.

Satanism: No. Just, no.

Scientology: Stop blaming the aliens, Tom Cruise!

Cathlic: What's wrong with birth control? Why do I have to pray for the Pope if he's the holiest man alive?

Budism: Buddah was a person. Not a God. His is more a success story than a Godly one. It's almost like praying to the guy who lost weight eating Subway.

Before everyone flames me, this is just my opinon. What do I really know? They phrase it best in the movie 'Religilous' - "Explaining a God to a person is like explaining a T.V. to an ant". I'm making these points as just that, points. I'm wrong too! I'm indecisive! No one is sure about anything. Which is why no one will know until it's too late.

Last edited by NeedBrains; 03-11-2009 at 02:36 PM.
NeedBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #32
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Of course there is a God. This is as obvious to me as the fact that there is oxygen. However human consciousness is such that people can only prove God to themselves. And belief or nonbelief in God isn't really the point; love is the point. Can you love God and other souls? Can you love yourself? These are much more important questions: not how was the universe created, but are you grateful that it was and that you are here?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

Quote:
I'm confused about this. What do you mean mistaking adaptation for mutations? If things mutate totally randomly, then they adapt, and thus they evolve.
As far as I'm concerned, evolution is random, whereas adaptation is not. Adaptation is about becoming better suited to your surroundings. My interpretations of evolution, however, are that a single thing 'randomly' mutates, and if it is beneficial, then the animal survives and manages to breed.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #34
Manga Chic
Here's a penny, buy a clue.

I am officially regretting ever clicking on this.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #35
varkarrus
Banned

If God exists, the only real way it can work with today's science is if He was a law of physics: the law of consciousness. Somehow, he would be able to control himself (seeing as he's consciousness), affecting the universe. There's my far-fetched attempt at creating a religion.
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #36
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
As far as I'm concerned, evolution is random, whereas adaptation is not. Adaptation is about becoming better suited to your surroundings. My interpretations of evolution, however, are that a single thing 'randomly' mutates, and if it is beneficial, then the animal survives and manages to breed.
They've shown that genes mutate randomly. However, this is not in the course of one lifetime. The genes differ slightly between parents and children. It's fairly intuitive that those with genes best suited to the environment survive, and are thus able to reproduce more. This leads to successful genes being passed to children.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #37
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

The bible is adapted from a Mesopotamian Text, so maybe our god is something completely differ from theirs. Also, some bible stories were based off of happenings in Mesopotamia.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #38
fourwind
Lord of Blobs

My made up religion is called Imaginism.
Technically it denies the existence of everything pretty much.
It substitutes reality for another world created from your mind.
So far i am the only person who can actually keep my imagination going for long enough to create a substitute for reality. It denies all existence of a god.
As soon as you are able to substitute reality, all you can say to people is:
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW? As you ride on a dinosaur through the mushroom village. Seriously. That is how messed up it is.
Unfortunately i have not completely reached the alternate reality yet. Only slightly. I mean, right here, right now, i can make a puppy appear. Or light the computer on fire.

But no, according to me god does not exist. But Jesus does. Because of the fact that you can't deny the fact that thousands of people have believed to see him. But according to how i think, he only exists in my world. But we have become so reliant on stuff like technology that we cant explode our imagination into reality. Except me. Ive tried converting people to Imaginism, but they don't understand the significance.

Really its not a religion as it is an alternate reality.
So i don't know why i shared it.
So yeah. I'm gonna play with that puppy.

fourwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #39
Ninja of Frozen Milk
... is proud to be a furry.

Send a message via MSN to Ninja of Frozen Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma View Post
I'm afraid that this topic will quickly turn into a flamewar and be closed, but before that happens, I believe in evolution, nothing else.
Indeed
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #40
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
Of course there is a God. This is as obvious to me as the fact that there is oxygen. However human consciousness is such that people can only prove God to themselves. And belief or nonbelief in God isn't really the point; love is the point. Can you love God and other souls? Can you love yourself? These are much more important questions: not how was the universe created, but are you grateful that it was and that you are here?
We evolved to breath oxygen, not the oxygen coming so we can breath! We had a very deep conversation on fate today, which lead to things like the colour of nothing and infinity plus one. This somehow lead to how to put a virus on a mac computer and all when downhill from there. Also, if god does exist, and is everything and everywhere (Quoted from the bible) then would that not make him Satan as well? Satan is something after all.

(P.S. I broke my vow! )