Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Default Paranoia RPG: Destination: CBI Sector

The following characters have been selected for this mission. Their corresponding players shall be notified via PM:

Onion-GBE (Mr. Onion)
Jalapeno-MJM (bowserfan)
Max-TRN (Max)
Ikamuzu-HAL (Kerma)
Cool-GUY (Coolguy)
Hammer-DWN (Hammer Down)

For one reason or another, all six of these citizens have been promoted to RED clearance, and are now troubleshooters. Congratulations.

A note before we begin: Paranoia is a game of insanity, fear, conspiracy, and last but not least, paranoia. You, as a citizen of Alpha Complex, may experience behavior from both PCs and NPCs that could not be described as kind. In compliance with the rules of Total Mayhem, you must acknowledge that all such meanness is just a game. In addition, know that you will read mention of (highly temporary, since you have six clones) death, destruction, and the mission may even be impossible to complete (though not to escape from with commendation outweighing your treason, if you're really good). Understood?

MISSION ALERT!
You have been activated for your first mission! At last you shall have an opportunity to serve The Computer!
You will be entering CBI Sector on a routine follow-up mission for an overdue troubleshooter group. Among your important duties will be the routine recovery of an important bot brain, and the preparation of a routine report on the status of the overdue troubleshooter group.
Please report immediately to the troubleshooter briefing chamber in PDK sector for your routine mission briefing. Thank you for your cooperation.

Okay now, since I doubt any of you have played Paranoia before (I myself have never GM'd before), let me give you a brief overview of some of the information available at your security clearance, which would otherwise be found in the Player's Handbook. I obviously won't be giving you all the information in the Player's Handbook, since doing so would be treasonous, and I want you to support the fine people who publish this game (Mongoose Publishing, though it used to be West End Games and they're not marketing 1st, 2nd, or 5th edition stuff so much anymore).

All of this information concerns the character sheet you will be getting, and the statistics on it. First are the primary attributes. These are determined by different rolls of the dice, and are relatively important for two reasons: 1. [This information is not available at your security clearance.] 2. They determine your secondary attributes. Your secondary attributes (most of them anyway, some do other things such as [This information is not available at your security clearance.]) provide bonuses to certain types of skill rolls and also [This information is not available at your security clearance.]

Next are places to record your damage, credits, and security clearance. These should be obvious. After that are your service group and (treasonous) secret society, along with your rank in that secret society., which determine your political alliances. Then your (treasonous) mutant power, which can be used to your benefit at the risk of others discovering it. Yes, everybody has a mutant power (or two, or three) and a secret society. Yes, this does mean everybody is a traitor. Fortunately (or unfortunately), out of character knowledge such as this is not sufficient proof of treason. After that is your inventory, which should also be obvious.

Finally, you have the skill tree, which branches out from five major categories to quite a few end skills. You may not spend more than one point in any skill except the skills at the end of the tree. Basically, the first couple points you spend along the path to any particular "leaf" skill are more generalized and grant a bonus to all skills of the same category/subcategory instead of just one. Having a point in one of the root categories turns your minimum base skill of 5% into 20%, then each point you spend that applies to any particular skill increases that by a further 5%.

The rest of the information you are expected to know you should already know if you have been paying enough attention to the Paranoia injokes spreading around the forum.

Any questions? (Other than "Where's our character sheets?", since you should receive those shortly)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Blaaaah.

Last edited by Sillyman; 03-19-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Varkarrus has been summarily executed for treason against Jamul.
Sillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Default Re: Paranoia RPG: Destination: CBI Sector

"In addition, know that you will read about death (and possibly even hear mention of precious bodily fluids outside of people's bodies)"

No, you won't, because it will be deleted if it happens. All posts on Hamumu must be appropriate for all ages.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Really? Huh, then what's mafia?

Edit: Okay, no blood, obviously (and I think that might have been your point)... but the key point is: Death happens in currently available Hamumu games, and I am planning (at least now, after your clarification of what you consider appropriate for all ages) to discuss it in no more detail than is included in those games (e.g.: You die due to laser/explosion/insertweaponhere damage, Friend Computer deploys your next clone for you as soon as he hears of it). Would that be acceptable? The very reason I mentioned that was to make sure I didn't break any rules commit treason.
Blaaaah.

Last edited by Sillyman; 03-19-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Sillyman, I'm pretty sure he was just saying to avoid descriptions of violence, not avoid death.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Hey, the site's back! Yeah, this shouldn't have anything more than "You shoot the traitor with the laser. He gets a wound in the arm.", which coincidentally is exactly the amount of detail in violence that Hamumu games have (except stun/wound/incapacitate/death/vaporized and wound location instead of numerical HP). So I should be fine.

Just as a note: It may take a while to prepare your character sheets. In the meantime, I am perfectly open to questions.
Blaaaah.

Last edited by Sillyman; 03-20-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Alrighty then... character sheets have been sent out. Please respond ASAP with skills and initial purchases selected so that the game may begin.
Blaaaah.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Max
Just a FunLoving Turbo Penguin

Send a message via MSN to Max Send a message via Yahoo to Max

Um I got it! The private sheet that is

Now you don't mess with perfection.

Last edited by Max; 03-21-2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: I'm such a dinghead
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

...I meant privately, but alright, if you really want to let everybody know you're doing that.
Blaaaah.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Okie-dokie... I still need character sheets from Bowserfan and Hammer Up (and I'm working with Max).
Blaaaah.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

...Need a replacement? I'm pretty much free until June 2nd. Then it'll be spotty until the 30th.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

The game seems to have died.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer View Post
...Need a replacement? I'm pretty much free until June 2nd. Then it'll be spotty until the 30th.
Yeah, that'd be peachy keen. I'll, uh... roll up something for you. Namely bowserfan's character sheet. Another replacement will also be needed.

As for the game seeming to have died... that's just me not getting stuff I need to start it.
Blaaaah.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

I can replace...
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Onion-R-GBE-1 (Mr. Onion)
Game-R-DOC-1 (drgamer)
Max-R-TRN-1 (Max)
Ikamuzu-R-HAL-1 (Kerma)
Cool-R-GUY-1 (Coolguy)
<Name not found> (Julian)

Alrighty, Julian, I'ma send you a character sheet. I'm working with drgamer. If there's anybody else who isn't here that I should know about, let me know.
Blaaaah.

Last edited by Sillyman; 03-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Max
Just a FunLoving Turbo Penguin

Send a message via MSN to Max Send a message via Yahoo to Max

Is this game going to start or what?
You're done with my character sheet right?

Now you don't mess with perfection.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Yeah, yours is done. Right now we're just waiting on Julian.
Blaaaah.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
drgamer

I can has game start?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

... I have five people completely registered. Should I start the game, keep looking for replacements, or is somebody going to respond?
Blaaaah.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
drgamer

Set a game start in 24 hours or something. All you have to do is adjust the difficulty as we play. Just like you'd be doing normally
Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Actually... I got a response from Julian saying he was feeling a little overwhelmed by the character sheet. And so the game starts now. Or whenever I finish writing the first game post.
Blaaaah.