Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yerfdog What don't you like about Hamumu?

Well, this was just begged for by a comment in the other thread!

This one isn't so much for marketing as for ideas on what to improve.

Again, interpret the question how you like, be as brief or lengthy as you want.

Make sure you don't insult anyone (other than me).

I promise not to reply in this thread, and I request that you also don't reply to others' posts here. I don't want it to derail into a big fight. Just state your issues rather than discussing someone else's.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty
Default Re: What don't you like about Hamumu?

Feel a bit guilty about posting first...

What generally springs to mind, now that I look back at the 4 1/2 years I have been part of the community, is how much it has changed. From that, I suppose, comes a list of 'issues':

• As a community, I feel that it has grown far open, meaning that I think that members aren't as close as they were, perhaps, when I first joined, or at least from the 2004-2006 period. I knew pretty much everybody back then, and everybody was friends (I like to think) and we all had respect for each other. That seems to have become pretty lost in time now, though.
  • There isn't really anything to reward commited people, or those who have been around supporting Hamumu for a long period of time. THis is a bit of a nag, I suppose, but I'm not just saying it for my own sake: there are plenty of members who have been around even longer than me. I just feel that it would be nice to be rewarded in some way, you know...?
  • Dumb Accounts. Okay, so that just seems wrong, but I don't think the idea as a whole is bad. In fact, I think trophies, etc. in a private little area for each member is a good idea. However, the first thing i disliked about DAs was the change in avatar scheme. Of course, after much complaining (for which I apologise) I managed to sort out my avatar. However, I feel that there is an issue with Yerfbucks as, with Prize Points (the old system) they were scarce, but a most worthy reward. There were frequent competitions to gain but a few, and there were brilliant prizes on offer, such as Beta testing slots. I was saving up for a beta testing slot when we moved to Yerfbucks. Two problems arose from this: 1. Beta testing slots no longer were availble 2. PPs got converted straight to YBs. PPs, I feel, were worth a lot more than YBs are, and so I was extremely disappointed by how my efforts in past competitions succumbed to nothing.The real point of this point, however, was to ask for more, frequent, events to be hosted for the opportunity to win YBs, and then there to be a decent selection of official prizes to buy.
I hope that this is all. If I think of anything else, I'll add to the list.

Last edited by WackieWatty; 05-21-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Spelling error
WackieWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Gamer99
The Knightie

I feel guilty too. I have not much to say,I am newbie,so.. I add some more thiongies,that make me feel more guilty!

Because :

-No old Hamumu games. They should be bring to day light!

-Having lil' bit boring chat..

Last edited by Gamer99; 05-22-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Gamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
natlinxz
Puny Mortal

Hmmmm.....let's see....

I don't like......I...don't like.......

uuuummmmmmmmmm.... LOOKOVERTHERE!! *runs away*

I do two things. TWO! I exist, and I make youtube videos. Now that is some serious multitasking!
natlinxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

We need to see more of this. Get on it.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Megadog
The Demagogue

It would be nice if...well...I guess what I said awhile ago about putting a something with all the games that were never finished on there, and putting it in a page link called something like "Hamumu's history of failed games", including source code and stuff (Almost like the freebies that are under games at the moment.) So, yeah, I don't like how there isn't that.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

In other words, add stuff to the Junk page?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

I can only think of 2 things:
  1. The new chatroom. I really think the old flash chat was better, even with the chatcides.
  2. For some reason, when the CP expansion came out, good CP levels appeared less and less often. I know that deleting them would be a really bad idea, but I belive that something must be done.(don't ask me what "something" is, I have completely no idea)
Edit: Oh, deciding not to use the Dr.Lunatic engine anymore and to abort Happyponygate were bad choices In my opinion.

Last edited by Pumpkineater; 05-21-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
I can only think of 2 things:
  1. The new chatroom. I really think the old flash chat was better, even with the chatcides.
  2. For some reason, when the CP expansion came out, good CP levels appeared less and less often. I know that deleting them would be a really bad idea, but I belive that something must be done.(don't ask me what "something" is, I have completely no idea)
Edit: Oh, deciding not to use the Dr.Lunatic engine anymore and to abort Happyponygate were bad choices In my opinion.
The same thing.
And i want more trophy tiers.Like a buying 15 games throphy.And new ones too.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Megadog
The Demagogue

Yeah one's like "Congratulations! You've been here for 3 years!" and "Wow, you own every avatar piece!" and most importantly, supreme trophies like "You made an add on and it is rated 4+ stars by 10 people!" and "You got 1st in 15 supreme scores!"
Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
"You made an add on and it is rated 4+ stars by 10 people!" and "You got 1st in 15 supreme scores!"
I support this product and/or service and/or idea.

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 05-21-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
NeedBrains
Zany Zombie

I think the site itself is kind of ugly.

First of all, the front page is too scatted. It just has tiny pictures of games and plain text. I think the game pictures should be bigger, and there should be a better way to look through the genres of games, like this:

Secondly, I think the pictures in the about us section are really bad. IMO you should change them with a picture where you're actually smiling, or look semi-professional. Right now they kind of look like bad Facebook pictures .

Sorry

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Yeah one's like "Congratulations! You've been here for 3 years!" and "Wow, you own every avatar piece!" and most importantly, supreme trophies like "You made an add on and it is rated 4+ stars by 10 people!" and "You got 1st in 15 supreme scores!"
If you're looking for trophy ideas, there's a bunch of decent ones in the "Champions" group. Go check it out.

Last edited by NeedBrains; 05-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.
NeedBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
JoyceVaughn
Canadianzephyr

I have been so disappointed over the last year or so, with the games that were never finished. I have been here since 2003 and have seen in the last few years the weakening/crumbling, (for lack of a better word) of the Forums and the games. Things seem to be going from bad to worse. Starting a new game, and hyping everybody up about it then dropping it, is in my opinion, unprofessional. I have been very happy with the games up to this point, but am tired of waiting for something thats never finished.I.E. HappyponyGate. Sorry, but thats it.......
Old 05-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

I think that, perhaps, you are, likely unintentionally, isolating yourself from many of the members of the forum. It's a thought that only just occured to me, but it would explain why people are less happy with how things are these days, and also why more people are willing to 'rebel', or cause a fuss.
It's much a case of keeping good relations, I suppose. If you respect people, they will respect you back.
I understand that you are quite busy, especially as much 'free time' is spent looking through forum topics to make sure they are appropriate, but I would like to see you get more involved. Sounds quite ironic, but never mind - I know what I mean!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

There have been some very good points made, and I especially support WackieWatty's point:

Quote:
As a community, I feel that it has grown far open, meaning that I think that members aren't as close as they were, perhaps, when I first joined, or at least from the 2004-2006 period. I knew pretty much everybody back then, and everybody was friends (I like to think) and we all had respect for each other. That seems to have become pretty lost in time now, though.
Also, I think it seems like the whole place almost has TOO many bells and whistles.
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

I don't know if you actually get to fix this, but social groups. It's really hard to tell if a social group has been posted in, they're hidden much more than forum topics. And the whole invite-only-read-only-if-you-are-in-it setup just seems like it creates divisions. If you're going to exclude people, do it without their knowledge with PMs.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
TyTBone
College Boi

Ditto to Regen's post.

- I feel like the "educated" here have a hard time accepting those who
post in an "uneducated" manner.

- I feel like sometimes people [maybe even myself] get a little too easily
offended by some things that take place here.

- I feel like the community may have been "chiseled apart" by people [like
myself] who didn't necessarily agree with the older generation, and
expressed that.

Question to mull over: did the original Hamumuians [those
from 2003 - 2005-ish, maybe?] have arguments like those that have
taken place in the last two years, or did they more or less think as a
collective whole? I don't know.

- I feel like grudges may be held here.

- The lack of Jamul replies. [I know it's hard because of everything you
have to do, but it'd still be nice if you posted more often.]

- Here's something I'm working out in my head: I feel like I only feel "alive" here anymore if something shocking happens, a la a serial ban or something BIG. [I think I was ultimately hooked on the site via Happyponygate, because it was the style of game that really interested and excited me.]

Last edited by TyTBone; 05-21-2009 at 03:46 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
boyd
In The Flesh?

The website layout is not very good compared to the older version
The peple in the forums are not that close together anymore
The obsession with costume party, the demo doesn't work for me
No Monthly merges anymore
No Random taglines at the top of the page
The Avatars, its just terrible, the old ones were the best
And I'm waiting in this cell because I have to know
Have I being guilty all this time?

Last edited by boyd; 05-21-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: another reason
boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Redbone
She & her pronouns

I'll be the first to bring this up:
Total Mayhem. Although fun, it's being clogged up by some useless posts, and I admit, I am one of those people who post useless topics. I think what best fits in with Total Mayhem is the unofficial forum games, like Word Association, Counting, and Vending Machine (which should probably be revived). But the RPG's, it's pretty much just the same thing over and over again. An RPG sub-forum would be fine, but I wouldn't encourage it.

Next up, Costume Party. The new levels are pretty much becoming Inviso-Block mazes, artwork, Fake Brick Spam, and repetitiveness. Also some insanely difficult levels are there too, which I can't beat, being an average player. Most of them don't even have any effort put into them (No offense to anyone), but it's the truth. I'm coming to the point where I request that levels must be moderated before they are playable by everyone.

Another main topic: Social Groups. With the update, I was disappointed. Most of the features are there but have no use, and it's really clogged up. Every group is going to be the question mark icon, so why not just allow the group icons? It would also be better if there were categories to put the group in, so people can navigate easier.

Moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
- I feel like sometimes people [maybe even myself] get a little too easily offended by some things that take place here.
I feel this too, and most of the time feel insulted. The posts that are insulting are never actually removed, so when I pass through a topic, I have to get that feeling every time I pass the insulting post.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
puffazoid
Is an abomination!

Well... The graphics. In all honesty, I really, REALLY loved the style of supreme & loonyland, and LL2's cell shading was perfect! Costume party? Meh. Sure, it's fun and cute(like all hamumu games!) but it just doesn't have the... Style, you know what i mean? LL tactics is looking good, though!