Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
DBAce9Aura
Regular Schmuck

Send a message via AIM to DBAce9Aura
Default Alternate names for Hamumu Clubhouse

Since the name "Hamumu Clubhouse" hasn't gotten any good reception at all, let's come up with an alternate name. I'll go first:

*Hamumu Cult: Hamumu games are crafted by the demonic arts.

*Hamumu Empire: Jamul's the king, the level/mod makers are the knights, and the forum users are peasents.

*Hamumu Dumbhouse: Same deal as Clubhouse, minus the kiddy vibe.

*Hamumu Dumb Joint: A more legitimate version of Clubhouse/Dumbhouse, complete with coffee and donuts.

*Hamumu Waffles: This website is part of a complete breakfast. Would work as a false advertisement gag.

Last edited by DBAce9Aura; 06-15-2009 at 05:52 PM.
DBAce9Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

Default Re: Alternate names for Hamumu Clubhouse

How about Hamumu Software? Haven't heard about that before!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

Nice idea, Kerma. I guess it's okay if it's called the Clubhouse, but even if you (Jamul) tell us, your already hooked customers, that it won't be kiddy and kindergartner-oriented, a 13 year-old who just happens to stumble upon (whether it be un StumbleUpon or not!) this site will probably not know that. Clubhouse isn't a bad idea, it's just not a truly great one.

Edit: But whatever you do, don't leave out Yerfdog's wagging tail.
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin

Last edited by chaucer; 06-15-2009 at 06:08 PM.
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
happystickman
Back From the Dead

I have a better name. Just Hamumu. No software, no clubhouse. Just, Hamumu.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Reecer6
Katamari Damacy yay!

Hamumu House - Don't forget the backyard!

Hamumu Base: Spy and plot against our enemies, the Porkwufwuf Base!

Hamumu's Coffee: You can still defeat all of Furzorgtopia, but now, with Coffee and Donuts!

Hamumu Club: Complete with a dance floor

Hamumu Hotel: Room Service? I'd like to post in 'Extreme Rock Paper Scissors' then meet in the chat room with Max.

Note: The descriptions could be actual gimmicks.
Reecer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBAce9Aura View Post
*Hamumu Cult: Hamumu games are crafted by the demonic arts.
No. :P
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Hammered
Nailed It!

Hamumu's Horde
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Sol Hunt
Bounty Hunter

Send a message via ICQ to Sol Hunt

Hi, gang. Sol Hunt here. I am probably going to get in trouble from the boss for this (he doesn't like when I stir things up), but I can't stand idly by any longer. Frankly, I am very disappointed in the reactions we are getting regarding the new changes. In fact, I've been disappointed by the general atmosphere here for some time now. Why? I'm glad you asked...

Jamul spends the entirety of almost every day (at least the parts when he isn't playing WoW!) trying to satisfy you, his beloved customers. He, more than any other company I have ever encountered, asks for and takes into consideration your opinion on just about every aspect of Hamumu. He reads EVERY forum post, responds to EVERY e-mail, and cares about EVERY one of you. He may have made light of it in that episode of Behind the Dumb, but he truly is a one man show. He is the CEO, advertiser, programmer, idea man, CFO, sound guy, artist, secretary, webmaster, and salesman.

Don't get me wrong. He doesn't complain, and he loves his job. He is doing what he has wanted to do since he was 8 years old. He does it for many reasons: the freedom to make his own schedule, the ability to work from home in his pjs, and complete creative control top the list. He's not making millions, but we're both big believers in the idea that doing good, helping people, and being happy are WAY more important than getting rich.

I have been a part of Hamumu Software for longer than most, if not all, of you. (I'd be interested in knowing if any of you became Hamumuians prior to 2000, actually.) I have had the pleasure of "watching" many of you grow up. I know that many of you are teenagers or even young adults now, but you must remember that when you started here, you were KIDS. I think it speaks volumes that so many of you joined Hamumu as a kid and stuck around into or even through your teens. There are very few companies that have that kind of staying power.

I grew up in a rural farming community in Northern Minnesota. I never quite fit in with the other kids. I marched to my own drum, traveled off the beaten path, stood out in the crowd, and all those other phrases one uses to describe someone who is different. I was socially awkward, not quite normal, and much dorkier/nerdier/geekier than the average bear. One of the best things about Hamumu is that kids/teens/adults like myself feel so welcome and comfortable here. Hamumu is a place where you can be as smart, as different, as funny, as quirky, or as goofy as you really are. You are accepted, even admired for being exactly who you are. I still spend my time searching for those few souls who will "get me". (You might even say that Sol Hunt is on a soul hunt - HA!)

So when Jamul first mentioned changing his site to Hamumu Clubhouse, I was behind it 110%. Didn't I spend my whole childhood wishing I had a secret place full of lots of friends to hang out in? A place where I could express myself freely and be respected for who I was. A place where it was okay for me to be as smart or as dumb as I wanted to be. Where the only expectations placed on me were to have fun and play games. People take themselves and their lives much too seriously these days. Everyone is shuffling steadily toward the end of this soul-numbing rat race. If we had fewer caffeine spewing coffee houses, and more friendly, relaxing clubhouses, we'd all probably be a lot happier. So Hamumu Clubhouse has my complete support.

I recognize that a lot of the discussion going on regarding these changes is fear of change itself. I don't blame you. Hamumu Software is awesome, and it's scary to think about losing something so dear. However, I can tell you with confidence (I am privy to ALL the behind the scenes excitement, after all) that Hamumu Clubhouse is going to rock your socks off. Jamul is taking the best ideas from many sources (ones I know you are fond of!) and combining them into a place that will get attention, draw people in, and keep them coming back for more.

You, our faithful old-timers, might not like the idea of too many newbies running around the place, but I must tell you a secret. If we can't improve the participation, sales, and recognition of Hamumu Software sometime in the near future, there might not be a Hamumu Software to come to at all. The sources that inspired most of you to explore and join the Hamumu site (eGames primarily) have dried up, and if we don't find a new way to get people buying games, we won't be able to afford to let Jamul continue the self-employment that has been so enjoyable for both you and himself.

I'm not telling you to stop sharing your feelings and opinions here at Hamumu. Jamul loves to hear what you all have to say. I'm just asking you - as one fan of Jamul's to another - to think about how your complaints and dismissive comments might sound to the man who puts you and your entertainment first every day.

In summary:
1. Jamul and I are thrilled that you are part of our club.
2. Hamumu Clubhouse is going to be superbly awesome.
3. Constructive criticism is fine, but hard work deserves praise as well.
4. Dumb is good!

Thanks for your time and attention. End overly protective rant.
Yours,
Sol Hunt
~Indigo Girls
Sol Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Megadog
The Demagogue

EPIC! SOL!

Anyway, you could just do the forums like I suggested. Then there will be less or no complaining from the forums, plus it is still put to use. I honestly must say though, as soon as I read "clubhouse" I was turned off. I wouldn't mind reading it, but the complete disappearance of Hamumu 'Software' would make me sad. In addition, you would have to change the name in the splash of the game. But guys, I, for one, am on neutral territory. It's more than just a name, but life will go on if it changes.

That's my 7 1/2 cents.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
Max
Just a FunLoving Turbo Penguin

Send a message via MSN to Max Send a message via Yahoo to Max

EPIC! SOL! (Hey! I couldn't think of anything else to say)
I agree with Megadog, its just a name, the thing will stay the same, Hamumu will just be awesome as it is now. I really don't care if the name is changed, inside Hamumu will just be the same. If you changed your name, would it affect your personality? I think not! (Unless you change your personality as well). Anyways, this was another boring old rant and I am sorry if I took up your valuable time, but please, stop complaining about the name.

Now you don't mess with perfection.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 AM   #11
happystickman
Back From the Dead

I agree with what you said Sol, but cant that happen WITHOUT the name change? I just dont like the feeling of saying, "Yeah, im going home and going to the Hamumu Clubhouse!" He makes money off the games. He cant make money of of people of the forums. The games are the company. Removing them from the name, I just dont like it.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
yourter12
forever gone

It's Sol Hunt!

Anyway, I think it should be Yerfdog's Dumbhouse, because Yerfdog's our mascot, and it would show respect for Yerfdog. He might be not be real, but he has feelings too, you know!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #13
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

I find it quite 'funny', if that's the correct term to use, that you are all saying that you agree/ respect Sol's view, yet half of you are sticking to your guns anyway about the name change, even if less aggressively, and the other half are acting as if they never opposed the idea in the first place!

As Atkins and I have already said, a name change doesn't really matter. This isn't the place for all the cool kids to hang out, this is Hamumu. As Sol mentioned, everybody can be themselves here without being judged or outcast (unless they spam lots, of course :P). I'm going to hang around, and I bet most, if not all, of you are too, even if the name does change. Life goes on and you just have to live with it, I'm afraid.

If you would feel embarassed, then perhaps this is not the place for you.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
DBAce9Aura
Regular Schmuck

Send a message via AIM to DBAce9Aura

On second thought, maybe this topic thread should be deleted ASAP. It kinda sounded like a good idea, but now it isn't. There are only two good things from it:

*The appearance of SolHunt.
*A little gag I made about Hamumu Waffles.
DBAce9Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #15
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

Dumbhouse is the best name possible.Adding the kiddyness,but not too much.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Reecer6
Katamari Damacy yay!

I don't really car either, I just don't want there to be 5 ballerinas and a "super man" helping us save the heroes in the Vortex. Also, the alternate name thing I did was just a time waster for me.
Reecer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
Sol Hunt
Bounty Hunter

Send a message via ICQ to Sol Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystickman View Post
The games are the company.
The games are absolutely NOT the company. If that were true, this site wouldn't have the richness and depth that it has now. If Jamul were simply trying to make money off games, he wouldn't waste his time reading the forum, making freebies, or doing goofy things like inviting Giftbot to the chat. The company is FOUNDED on creating a community where like-minded individuals can meet new people and have fun together. I know some of you think that he over-moderates the forums, for example, but that is a HUGE factor in making this a safe place for everyone. Same with the new image. It takes NOTHING away from those of you who are already here, while improving the likelihood that we will meet new, interesting people. Win - Win.

Those of you who have been here for a long time are some of our FAVORITE, most loyal fans. We adore you. However, teens are not our target audience. A teenager who has never experienced Hamumu is very likely to shun its goofy, happy-go-lucky approach to games. This is a developmental reality regarding teenagers and it would be silly for us to try to fight it. However, kids who get hooked on Hamumu from an early age, are highly likely to stick around through their teen and young adult years. If you don't believe me - take a look around the forum. We're not trying to alienate anyone, especially not our beloved old-timers. We're simply planting the seeds for future Hamumu fans.

Yours,
Sol Hunt

PS - neither of my posts have been Jamul sanctioned or requested. These are strictly MY opinions. Thanks!
~Indigo Girls
Sol Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #18
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

I just don't want to the site ending up with things like what Reecer said.

Dumbhouse for the new name!

Last edited by Hammer Up!; 06-16-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Hammer Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #19
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

(for the record, I have absolutely no idea what Reecer is saying)

A lot is changing here! But what is not changing at all is what Hamumu is about. I'm not going to be making different games, I'm not making it all kiddie and stupid. I'm just streamlining what is here, making it more fun and usable, and (here's the part some of you will choke on) focusing the 'message'. Just making what I want and saying "Here it is!" doesn't pull people in. You guys who read this like it, but getting you here was a challenge! So I had to pick my target and focus the site to aim at that target, like a magnifying glass on an ant. What that doesn't mean is that this is no longer a site for you. It's all about you. It just presents itself to the rest of the world in a more specific way. I'm focusing the outward appearance to draw in new people of a certain type, I'm not changing the guts. Until next time, dear reader - Courage.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #20
Max
Just a FunLoving Turbo Penguin

Send a message via MSN to Max Send a message via Yahoo to Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Up! View Post
I just don't want to the site ending up with things like what Reecer said.

Dumbhouse for the new name!
Changing the name won't do that, that's just silly.

Now you don't mess with perfection.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote