Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Red face End of world messages

Has anyone noticed much more than the usual messages these days about the end of the world coming? I know there is a movie about 2012 coming out in the fall, but it isn't just that. There is a lot of stuff on Youtube about it. Some people seem to be really worked up, expecting Earth changes and such like. I myself have a gut feeling that everything is going to be fine, and that 2012 in particular is going to be a non-event, just like Y2K was.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

By the way, check this out: http://www.tubecodes.com/watch=9n8RQ9U9O9M
Old 08-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Re: End of world messages

People these days, despite some saying otherwise, are extremely guillible. They'll believe almost anything you throw at them. I agree 2012 will be rather uneventful as far as apocalyptic scenarios go. There was an article I found the other day which took the six biggest "prophets" of the apocalypse (the Mayan calendar, the I-Ching, Web-Bot, Mother Shipton, and Nostradamus), and displayed these facts disproving every single one of them;

Mayan Calendar- December 21 2012 is the date the Mayan calendar ends. Most people don't bother to mention it's ended multiple times already. The Mayan calendar renews itself continuously; 12\21\12 just happens to be the next renewal. It also predicts the sun aligning with the center of the galaxy (according to the author himself, that's around as accurate as saying "Don't drive at sunset because you might run into the sun.")

The I-Ching- The I-Ching, for those not in the know, was a kind of prophetic system used by ancient Chinese. One day, a man created a chart using possible results of the I-Ching, then aligned it with historical dates. The line plummets off the chart during 2012. However, the man created the chart and the dates himself. Also, the downfall never said anything about the end of creation.

Web-Bot- This bot was designed to monitor the stock market to predict rises and falls. Some guys decided to have it track apocalyptic things (words like "disaster", "terrorism", "war", "hurricane", "earthquake", etc.) instead. They came up with a recent increase of these words, which they think symbolifies that the end is coming soon. The thing is though, this thing monitors what people talk about; for instance, it would have made the decision that a major hurricane would come in 2006-2008 due to conversations about Katrina.

The Hopi Indians- They wrote a prophecy of things coming to an end under certain circumstances, which seem to be fulfilled by the colonization of America, industrialization, hippies, and the invention of the phone. Thing is, this prophecy wasn't published until 1959.

Mother Shipton- First, she never even mentioned 2012. Also, her prophecies were published 200-300 years after her death. Now then, you may be thinking "So was the Bible.", but, her biographer admitted to publishing false information about her, which probably ended up getting reinterpreted as her prophecies.

Nostadamus- Ah yes, the big guy. Well, first, the book currently being interpreted right now had been re-written, by hand, 3 times. Errors galore. Also, Nostradamus' prophecies are very vague, and a few have an eerie similarity with my recent Mafia strategy; the predictions (or, in my case, investigations) were dead on, but all of them had already been confirmed (Nostradamus' book was discovered in 1982, and its legitimacy has been questioned). Finally, Nostradamus' conditions for the end happened in a period during 2007 and 2008. I'm still here a year later.

I would have just linked to the site, but I can't due to numerous inappropriate jokes.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
Has anyone noticed much more than the usual messages these days about the end of the world coming?
I think a lot of that depends on what sites you tend to browse.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Thanks for the interesting article summary, PlasmaCannonsRule. So I will continue to rest easy then I guess.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

Yes. There's the movie, and the twenty-something books, and the newspaper articles, and the websites, and the crazy people on the street. It's getting very annoying, if you ask me. I wish they'd all just go find something more worthwhile to worry about, like which insane asylum to go to.
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
moltanem2000
Professional Party Person

the way i see it, its that there are a huge number of cults, religions, or whatevers that believe that the end of the world will happen at a certain date, so a few of them predict 2012, and why dont we pay attention to the hundreds of other endoftheworld claims as well?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat

Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt

Hey, keep in mind that they were ranting on about 2000 destroying the world ten years ago. It came and went, and I don't expect 2012 to be any different.

And even if 2012 is the end of the world, you won't wait for that to happen; even to the last second, you'll still be living life as per normal.
"The Burninator is an enigmatic weapon. Apparently forged in the medieval ages by a wizard who loved fireballs, the Burninator is regarded in legend as the ultimate fusion between arcane combustion and napalm technology."
Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

Well, the whole 2000 ending the world was partially because onoes! The computers are going to die because of horrible coding because the developers of the software didn't think ANYONE would be using the software by the time 2000 came around.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #9
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

I saw an apocalyptic movie yesterday, called Supernova. I think it was originally a two-part made for TV thing. The idea was that some planetoid crashed into the sun, and it started going a bit berserk and throwing off chunks of plasma which always seemed to be pointing at the Earth. They would land on Earth and basically act like nukes, devastating whole cities (they always seemed to land in cities). Meanwhile civilization was falling apart as lots of people started rioting and pillaging and basically beating up their neighbours for some unknown reason. It was very silly, and much lower budget than the new silly movie coming out, 2012.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
peter
evil alian with a lazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
I saw an apocalyptic movie yesterday, called Supernova. I think it was originally a two-part made for TV thing. The idea was that some planetoid crashed into the sun, and it started going a bit berserk and throwing off chunks of plasma which always seemed to be pointing at the Earth. They would land on Earth and basically act like nukes, devastating whole cities (they always seemed to land in cities). Meanwhile civilization was falling apart as lots of people started rioting and pillaging and basically beating up their neighbours for some unknown reason. It was very silly, and much lower budget than the new silly movie coming out, 2012.
thats...realy weird

I is evil! hahahahaha!!!
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

It looks like someone couldn't contain the fear any longer.

Dang. I tried to go to Tubecodes to link to the vid but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. Try looking for "Apocalypse Fears" on Youtube.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
Baconstrips
AKA "Pramtrade"

Interesting fact: There is a HUGE MEGA earthquake predicted to happen sometime in 2012 around California.
Baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
LRT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconstrips View Post
Interesting fact: There is a HUGE MEGA earthquake predicted to happen sometime in 2012 around California.
Proof, please?
LRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

I think earthquakes are notoriously hard to predict. They're worse than the weather.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
legomash
"I am a complete LUNATIC!!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post

Mayan Calendar- December 21 2012 is the date the Mayan calendar ends. Most people don't bother to mention it's ended multiple times already. The Mayan calendar renews itself continuously; 12\21\12 just happens to be the next renewal. It also predicts the sun aligning with the center of the galaxy (according to the author himself, that's around as accurate as saying "Don't drive at sunset because you might run into the sun.")
your right about the constant renewal of the calender. every time that alignment happens. but thats actualy the date on wich the earths polarity is due to change. hence the constant renewal of the calender. i reckon that the myans somehow calculated when the earths polarity changes, by figuring out when the earth lines up with the moon sun and core of the galaxy. it was probably a handy way of knowing when they needed to be picked up by their intergalactic coleuges. Im not sure if that part is true or not, but it would explain why they disapeared overnight. maybe they calculated global decline, humanity becoming a less freindly race. humans becoming more warlike, greedy and careless. the industrial revolution proves that. maybe they had to leave early to avoid extinction. when this polarity shift occurs, it will cause a relatively large global pentatonic shift, causing earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamies, storms, and other bad weather. this happens all the time. thats what the calender is for. it is reckoned that about two thirds of the human population will be wiped out. its probably not such a bad thing. humanity has grown to become an ugly race in general. I don't mean everyone, I mean the governments, the big corporations, the greedy individuals, wich have led others to act likewise. humanity is not a virus, but humanity has a virus, impatience. impatience is the reason the world is burning. the speach at the begining of slipknot's all hope is gone album has a lot to say about what has become of us as a race, its a little hard to make out but is still audible. you don't have to like their music, im just saying they have a point, even if they are pushing it a little to far. don't think of 2012 as the end, but think of it as a new begining. hopefully we won't get caught in the same fractal were stuck in now. there are too many people anyway, the world is bursting at the seams. we need to start over. its not the end of the world, its the end of a bad era of humanity. don't worry though, that won't help at all. live your life. don't spend your time in fear. it probably won't even happen. but if you do wan't to survive what might not even happen, then head as far away from fault lines, coasts and hot spots as possible for 2012. consult the desiderata (nothing to do with religion).
strive to be happy.

Mekka city: back in construction
legomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #16
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Change happens all the time; that's one of the few things we can actually count on in this world. That and taxes, and the incomprehensibility of women. Just kidding; it's probably just me; they're probably perfectly rational. Or perhaps not.

I wonder what the next date will be to worry about after 2012. And I wonder how widespread in the general population worry about 2012 will get. Maybe after the big movie this fall people will get sick of the subject for a while.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
Max
Just a FunLoving Turbo Penguin

Send a message via MSN to Max Send a message via Yahoo to Max

Bah! Its all a bunch of mumbo jumbo! I can't wait to laugh in people's faces when 2012 comes and nothing happens, like some other Hamumian who posted this very same sentence.

Now you don't mess with perfection.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #18
Reecer6
Katamari Damacy yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Bah! Its all a bunch of mumbo jumbo! I can't wait to laugh in people's faces when 2012 comes and nothing happens, like some other Hamumian who posted this very same sentence.
I agree. and I'm pretty sure the other quote was posted in someone's sig.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomash View Post
your right about the constant renewal of the calender. every time that alignment happens. but thats actualy the date on wich the earths polarity is due to change.
The Earth's magnetic polarity changes approximately every 250,000 years, (Wikipedia says "A few times every million years") not every 5,000.
Quote:
i reckon that the myans somehow calculated when the earths polarity changes, by figuring out when the earth lines up with the moon sun and core of the galaxy.
And the Earth's magnetic field has nothing to do with arbitrary lines between it, the Sun, and the center of the galaxy. (Since they exert a constant force on the Earth regardless of what direction it's pulling in.)

Quote:
Im not sure if that part is true or not, but it would explain why they disapeared overnight.
They didn't disappear overnight; They got exterminated by the Spanish.

Quote:
when this polarity shift occurs, it will cause a relatively large global pentatonic shift, causing earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamies, storms, and other bad weather.
And the Earth's magnetic field also has nothing to do with geological activity. What a magnetic polarity switch will do is probably make it slightly easier to get sunburned.

Quote:
I don't mean everyone, I mean the governments, the big corporations, the greedy individuals, wich have led others to act likewise.
The goal of a business is to make money. I'm not sure how you can call a business "greedy" for fufilling it's objective.

Quote:
humanity is not a virus, but humanity has a virus, impatience. impatience is the reason the world is burning.
Back in 1900, you had to be quite patient to get anywhere, such as the fact it took weeks to travel across the Atlantic. Why are we so impatient now? Because we have faster communication and faster transport, and thus lower expectation times.

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 08-23-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Irrelavence.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #20
Max
Just a FunLoving Turbo Penguin

Send a message via MSN to Max Send a message via Yahoo to Max

Note to self: Never start an argument with Mr.Onion.

Now you don't mess with perfection.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote