Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017
Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Yerfdog Chat Tournaments!

Those of us who have been hanging out in the chat regularly decided to start hosting chat game tournaments! Another fun reason to hang out in the chatroom.

Each week there's a different tournament, hosted by a different person. This tournament goes on constantly, whenever the host is in the chat. Yerfbucks may be awarded, depending on the host. If you want to host, just contact me somehow.

Official game rules, hosting lists, and scoreboards can be found here:
http://apps.platymuus.com/hamumu/tourney
Rule changes and additions of new games are only made to the "Next Week's Rules" section, so nothing changes in the middle of a tournament.

So get in the chatroom right now, and start playing!

Thanks to chaucer, CheeseLord, and all the people who are already participating. If you have a suggestion, post away here or in the chat!
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Re: Chat Tournaments!

I say SHFBA should work. But, I'm never on chat.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

The tournament is for points earned in a variety of chat games - not in a fighting sense (except in Snowball Fight and the like).
Old 07-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

We're now going into the second full week of the tournaments, to be hosted by CheeseLord! The winners last week were CheeseLord with 21 points, Davedude with 14, and Gameboy with 10. They get 10, 8, and 6 Yerfbucks from me.

Thanks to CheeseLord, Davedude, Gameboy, Kacper8000, chaucer, Magic Fly, AnbuNeji, Echaru, Blue Dwarf, PurpleKoopa, BunnyBot 5000, Hammer Up!, Max, Ufo-Man, and Mr.Onion for participating this week, and to Sonicchaos1993, Mr.Onion, Hammer Up!, and Kacper8000 for having signed up to host.

So get playing!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

It's time again for a new tournament! The winners last week were myself with 17 points, ElMikkino with 10, and Ufo-Man with 7. CheeseLord's awarded them/me 15, 10, and 5 Yerfbucks (thanks!)

Also thanks to all who played last week (I deleted the scores before I could name them all), and Sonicchaos1993, Mr.Onion, Hammer Up!, and Kacper8000 for helping by hosting.

It's all over to you, Sonicchaos1993. Get playing!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
PlasmaCannonsRule

This game was thought up in a few seconds, but should be interesting. I do not yet have a name, but basically each player is PM'd a different word. They cannot say that word. The first person to make someone else say the word they were PM'd wins. The words selected should be around the same "difficulty" (meaning that one person shouldn't get a word like "marionette" while another player gets the word "red"). Also, very common and very rare words shouldn't be used (ex. "and", "I", "were", "have", "killjoy", "thesaurus", "Cherokee" etc.)

If that doesn't work, then I came up with another simple, unnamed game that may; basically, the host flips open a dictionary and posts the two guide words on the page. The players must then list off as many words that exist alphabetically between the guide words as they can. They must also be in the host's dictionary. Repeats are not allowed. The player to guess the most wins.

Another would be that each player is given a number randomly between 1 and 9. They must then guess if they are Highest (9 being the max), Lowest (1 being the lowest), Medium, or Tied (tied with another person for Highest or Lowest). The players who guess correctly wins. Could be called Magic Number or something like that.

Finally, one titled Where Am I. Basically, the host makes a list with all players in a random order. Players can PM the host "I ask the person [#] spaces [above\below] me [question]." The host then relays the question to the player, who must answer it truthfully. The question may NOT be asking for personal details (address, phone number, etc.), role in the current forum mafia game, name, or other details that would 100% confirm the identity of the player or interfere with a different game. If a person asks a question to a person too far above or below him\her, they ask the highest\lowest person on the list. The first person to guess his\her position on the list first wins.

I'm not really expecting any of these (except possibly the 2nd one) to make it in without revisioning, but it would be nice if they were at least considered.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
This game was thought up in a few seconds, but should be interesting. I do not yet have a name, but basically each player is PM'd a different word. They cannot say that word. The first person to make someone else say the word they were PM'd wins. The words selected should be around the same "difficulty" (meaning that one person shouldn't get a word like "marionette" while another player gets the word "red"). Also, very common and very rare words shouldn't be used (ex. "and", "I", "were", "have", "killjoy", "thesaurus", "Cherokee" etc.)

If that doesn't work, then I came up with another simple, unnamed game that may; basically, the host flips open a dictionary and posts the two guide words on the page. The players must then list off as many words that exist alphabetically between the guide words as they can. They must also be in the host's dictionary. Repeats are not allowed. The player to guess the most wins.

Another would be that each player is given a number randomly between 1 and 9. They must then guess if they are Highest (9 being the max), Lowest (1 being the lowest), Medium, or Tied (tied with another person for Highest or Lowest). The players who guess correctly wins. Could be called Magic Number or something like that.

Finally, one titled Where Am I. Basically, the host makes a list with all players in a random order. Players can PM the host "I ask the person [#] spaces [above\below] me [question]." The host then relays the question to the player, who must answer it truthfully. The question may NOT be asking for personal details (address, phone number, etc.), role in the current forum mafia game, name, or other details that would 100% confirm the identity of the player or interfere with a different game. If a person asks a question to a person too far above or below him\her, they ask the highest\lowest person on the list. The first person to guess his\her position on the list first wins.

I'm not really expecting any of these (except possibly the 2nd one) to make it in without revisioning, but it would be nice if they were at least considered.
I like those! I second PCR's ideas.
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
seamonkey
spoon eater

ditto
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
diginova
Dumb Person

Quote:

The third one seems like a rather horrible game, being 100% random, but the others are really good suggestions.

diginova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
PlasmaCannonsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginova View Post
The third one seems like a rather horrible game, being 100% random, but the others are really good suggestions.
Some of the other chat games (Hallrunner, I'm looking at you) are also completely random.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Some of the other chat games (Hallrunner, I'm looking at you) are also completely random.
Yeah, sorry about that. Maybe you'll do better next time.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

I didn't get a chance to get the new games (they're pretty good for the most part) into the rules, but I will as soon as I can considering I'm going to be on vacation! This means that Mr.Onion's reign will be longer than usual. I'm giving Hammer Up! a longer one too so he doesn't get stuck with a short week. This means all the hosts after that have been bumped back a week. If this is a problem, I can move you down the list.

The winners this week were Mr.Mean with 22 points, CheeseLord with 20 points, and PlasmaCannonsRule with 17 points. Also thanks to Kerma, Ufo-Man, Seamonkey, Diginova, Cyberclone42, and Sillyman for participating this past week.

Right now I have Hammer Up!, Kacper8000, myself, and Kerma pending to host. If your week has ended signing up for another is encouraged! Thanks to everyone who's taken time to manage the tournament.

Go now!

Last edited by SpaceManiac; 08-09-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

I had an idea for a chat game: It's a variant of that game "Telephone" where there is a line of people and they whisper a phrase to one another until it reaches the end, by which it point is usually changed.

Here's how it works:

1. The host thinks up of a phrase or word and chooses the order in which the players "pass down" the phrase or word.
2. The host then PMs each player telling them what their "distortion" is. The distortion could be something like "Replace any 2 letters with any 2 other letters" or "Shuffle the letters around any way you wish, but make sure that the phase still makes some sense." Each player must have a distortion.
3. The host adds a distortion of their own to the word/phrase and PMs it to the first player in line.
4. That player adds their distortion and PMs the new word/phrase to the next player. This continues until it reaches the end.
5. The last player posts the word/phase as they recieved it. The players then try to guess what the word/phase really was.
6. Over time, the host reveals the distortion directions as clues, in order from backwards to forwards.
7. Whoever guesses the word/phrase correctly first wins.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Thanks for the game ideas, everybody - I'll get them into the rules as soon as possible! Sorry it's been so long.

Mr.Onion sadly seemed mostly unable to find any willing victims until the last hour or so today. The winners for his longer term were CyberSonic with 5 points, Redbone with 3 points, and myself with 2 points. Thanks to everyone who played and has hosted or is signed up to do so.

Hammer Up! is getting a longer hosting time as well, and hopefully it'll draw lots of participation - Hammer Up! is awarding 50 Yerfbucks to first place, 25 Yerfbucks to second place, and 10 Yerfbucks to third.

I'll get those new games added as soon as possible, but until then play play play!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

It seems I managed to forget to swap the tourney over last weekend in the confusion of Ludum Dare! Hammer Up!'s awarded his prizes: 50, 25, and 10 Yerfbucks to Sonicchaos1993, CheeseLord, and PlasmaCannonsRule respectively. I'm going to let Hammer Up's week continue until next weekend - sorry for everyone who's getting the short end of the stick in this! Kacper8000 will host next week.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Apologies still... one day late. Scoreboard:
  1. sonicchaos1993: 6
  2. CheeseLord: 4
  3. PlasmaCannonsRule: 3
  4. SpaceManiac: 2
  5. diginova: 2
  6. Furry Sparks: 2
  7. Justin: 2
  8. Redbone: 2
  9. Cliffy1000: 2
  10. Mr.Mean: 1
  11. ElMikkino: 1
  12. Pumpkineater: 1
Hammer Up is going to award prizes how he likes. How exactly he will and/or has already done so, I will allow him to explain. Over to kacper8000! The host list is tiny now, sign up if you can please.

Also: if you have a server and can host a PHP script ans SQLite database for me, I'd really appreciate it. I'm having a really hard time keeping up with my responsibilities in general. (You probably want SSH access to admin the database)