Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 2, 2017
Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty
Exclamation A Big Ask!

Things are changing rapidly at Hamumu, as you no doubtedly are aware. Some of these changes are good, whereas others are bad, and many more are controversial.

I haven't been very active at Hamumu for about a year. I'm here, reading the forums every day, but I rarely say anything, as I feel like I have nothingto contribute. In fact, many of you probably don't know me, and others probably don't like me very much due to my 'serious' approach, and that all I seen to do these days is complain.
Well, this moderator job has managed to keep me here, and is helping me to become more involved in the community once again.

I've been here for almost 5 years now, and I've seen plenty go on: people have come and gone; the site and forums have changed. In the past, I have wished for Hamumu to be more like it was in the 'olden days', but I no longer wish for it to be that way. Instead, I want you to help me move the community forwards.

Although I'm a moderator, I don't necessarily have any power over any of you. I can control what you say, but not what you think, or the attitude you hold. I cannot change what is allowed and what is not allowed on these forums, nor can organise large community events. I can, however, get you all to read what I have to say.

Now, back to those changes I was talking about. I would like each and every one of you to help me combat the 'bad' changes that yhave been taking place here recently, and put Hamumu back on track to being a light, family-friendly, entertaining place.

These changes I am referring to include the following:
  • Members leaving. Okay, so it's up to individuals as to whether or not they want to stay at Hamumu, and we should respect their decisions, but what I am really talknig about here is members feeling 'forced' to leave. I'm not going to name names here, but many of you are aware that there has been a bit of a hostile atmosphere lurking around here recently, and people have argued been offended, and ultimately felt cast aside. Hamumu is, in many ways, a home for people, where they have friends with similar interests, and there are people who respect them and can understand them or sympathize with them. It takes a lot to decide to leave your home, yet it's occuring none-the-less.
  • Disagreements and a negative attitude towards Jamul and Hamumu in general. I'm not going to rant about Jamul authority and the fact that he works hard for us and all that, as I know you've heard it before. However, if jamul proposes a change that you're not happy with, it really isn't acceptable to moan about it, or tell him that he's wrong. If you want your opinion to be heard, then you can PM or e-mail Jamul, telling him what you think. Alternately, set up an opinions poll asking people what they think. There's nothing wrong with expressing yourself, just don't do it in a spiteful way. Please.
  • Spam. It's pretty much always been a problem, and isn't particularly bad at the moment, but it's still worth bringing up. In my opinion, there's no need for it. At all. However, I'm not gonig to stop you if you want to calm down by posting something stupid. Just... before you do, think as to whether you really want to post it, and whether you could post something more meaningful or useful. The quality of your posts affects people's opinions towards you considerably. If you want to be taken seriously, then try not to spam. Or, as I like to think of it: if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all.
  • Making life difficult. This is a bit of a vague one, but basically it encompasses posting dodgy or unnecessary links. As you are surely aware, Youtube links are banned on the forums due to the uncertainty of the appropriateness of the user comment.s Some people use TubeDubber now, but there are questions arising as the appropriateness of some of the ads on the site. It's nothing concrete, so whether or not posts containing links to the site, and others like it, make it past the moderators is at the discretion of each individual mod. It would hlpe us out considerably if you could be extremely careful when posting pictures and videos. For pictures, check if it has a link attached and, if it doesn't need it, remvoe it. For videos, try to either find a well-respected site that has it on to link to, or try and get the video on it's own, without comments and ads.
All I am asking if for you all to take into consideration what I have said in the points above, and for you to try to follow the advise I have given, to help Hamumu become a happy, friendly place once again.

Thank you for reading this extremely long and serious post. I look forward to reading your responses.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Thumbs up Re: A Big Ask!

Thank you for explaining what has been going wrong on Hamumu lately, I will try my best to follow what your post sais, it is for the good of all of us.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Default Re: A Big Ask!

I agree with you WackyWatty. And I do not think of you as a "big serious meanie" . You are a great forum member.
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

I most certainly agree with WW's version of Hamumu, as this place truly is some people's "home" in terms of their attachment to it. I hope people really see what they are doing if they decide to leave, especially because of other people.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

I agree with every point you've made, but, as far as spam goes, I have something to add to it.

If you want to make an amusing post that doesn't fit in any other thread, post it in Guess What Folks. If you have nothing better than bashing your foot against the keyboard and posting whatever comes up or just stretching the page, don't bother. It's a waste of your time and everyone else's. There's a difference between silly nonsense and agitatingly stupid nonsense.

Anyhow, now that I have that out of the way, I'm fine.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

The YouTube problem has just been automagically fixed!

http://apps.platymuus.com/hamumu/ytembed/

Input a video code or YouTube URL and it'll give you a page with the video embedded (no comments, nor even the related video feature from the player). Just copy/paste the URL of that page!
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
PlasmaCannonsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post

Input a video code or YouTube URL and it'll give you a page with the video embedded (no comments, nor even the related video feature from the player). Just copy/paste the URL of that page!
Very useful! If there's another Hammumies or whatever they were called, I'll definately nominate that as the most useful contribution to Hamumu.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I most certainly agree with WW's version of Hamumu, as this place truly is some people's "home" in terms of their attachment to it. I hope people really see what they are doing if they decide to leave, especially because of other people.
Thank you, Wesley, as this was a more specific point that I forgot to touch upon. One of the main reasons I decided to start up this 'scheme' was because of rapid increase in members leaving (even if not permanently), relating most to the trend of 'if you leave, so will I'.
For the people concerned, instead of leaving because your friend did, why not try to help improve the community, to prevent others from leaving in the same or a similar way in the future? Everyone's help is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
I agree with every point you've made, but, as far as spam goes, I have something to add to it.

If you want to make an amusing post that doesn't fit in any other thread, post it in Guess What Folks. If you have nothing better than bashing your foot against the keyboard and posting whatever comes up or just stretching the page, don't bother. It's a waste of your time and everyone else's. There's a difference between silly nonsense and agitatingly stupid nonsense.

Anyhow, now that I have that out of the way, I'm fine.
Thank you for your contribution, PCR. That is definitely the sort of thing I was talking about. At the end of the day, this isn't about removing content from the forums, but rather organising it to make everyone's lives easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post

Thank you, SpaceManiac. That was exactly the kind of thing i was hoping for (although I didn't word myself very well in the original post). If we can get people to use this to embed videos from now on, them there shouldn't really be any problems.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
bowserfan

Post Re: A Big Ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
Thank you, SpaceManiac. That was exactly the kind of thing i was hoping for (although I didn't word myself very well in the original post). If we can get people to use this to embed videos from now on, them there shouldn't really be any problems.
...and now on Jamul should use it, too.

Last edited by bowserfan; 09-12-2009 at 06:25 AM.
bowserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Reecer6
Katamari Damacy yay!

Also, Silly spam like "Type the Declaration of Independence with your elbow" go in Total Mayhem. Spam like "AAAAAAAAAAAA" Goes nowhere.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
PlasmaCannonsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecer6 View Post
Also, Silly spam like "Type the Declaration of Independence with your elbow" go in Total Mayhem. Spam like "AAAAAAAAAAAA" Goes nowhere.
Actually, I'm getting sick of those stupid "Post w\wo Using ___" threads. They are flooding Total Mayhem, and they weren't the best idea to begin with.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Max
Just a FunLoving Turbo Penguin

Send a message via MSN to Max Send a message via Yahoo to Max

I agree with PCR, there are too many threads of this sort and I'm beginning to get tired of them

Now you don't mess with perfection.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
moltanem2000
Professional Party Person

*bows down to SM*
amazing, its bookmarked, and favorited

also, thanks WackieWatty for posting these several good points, it sums up very nicely what has been going on around here. its relieving to see that people understand whats going on and what needs to be done!