Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
leesoer
Less Puny Mortal

Yerfdog What kind of worlds do you like?

This should be a poll....but it isn't.

What kind of worlds do you like? Themes? I like like forest worlds...caves are okay. I HATE ice worlds, and desert themed ones I tolerate. I'm not a fan of spacey worlds either. Do you like puzzles in worlds? I don't really like them...but they are good for variety. I really hate the puzzles where you need to push boxes away to clear a path. Do you like dark levels? I like them. It adds a new level of suspense to Dr. Lunatic. I especially like levels where you need a torch. When a level needs a torch to be lit, and it's a stealth level, it can lead to some unfortunate surprises! Do you like worlds with a story line? It would be nice but somehow I don't see Dr. Lunatic as being the kind of game that could accomplish this. What about custom monsters and tiles? Do you like them? I like custom tiles, but not un-realistic ones (If you can call a game where you throw hammers at enemies and collect brains realistic)

What do you like in your worlds? What do you despise?

(I'm making a world, and I would like to see what the people like, and what they hate.)
Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Default Re: What kind of worlds do you like?

I don't like levels where you just mindlessly bash enemies, I prefer levels that are original, not necessarily a completly new concept, but as long as it's something that's not already done in every other world.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Redbone
Soon

I like unique levels with an average difficulty (completable on Hard), no overuse of custom monsters, good level design (not repetitive), etc.

Also, I hate trap summons.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Yerfdog Re: What kind of worlds do you like?

I like simple levels. I'm talking Shtupid Shroom playable levels. I don't know why, I just do. I also dislike puzzles, although they can make gameplay interesting. I dislike dark levels, but they are tolerable if they are lantern lit. (As opposted to torch lit) Also, try to test your levels on Hard, that way your world will be fun for all skill levels.

That said, be sure to make a world that you like. If you make a world based on what others want, and not what you like, you won't be happy with the result. Building worlds is like expressing yourself. Show the world what you're made of! :)
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS

Last edited by Wesley; 09-20-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
yourter12
forever gone

I like levels with custom enemies, custom music and custom tiles
or levels where you use and make monsters and tiles from other games.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
I like unique levels with an average difficulty (completable on Hard), no overuse of custom monsters, good level design (not repetitive), etc.

Also, I hate trap summons.
Pretty much sums it all up, though the unique-ness shouldn't be too... well, unique, imo. In fact, I'd often like to see less trying to be totally unique and more back-to-the-roots stuff. Like the original Dr. Lunatic worlds; those were fun, and the levels didn't use more than 20-something Specials on average, they were simply built upon the actual basic game engine. I'd like to see more of that, personally; too much unique-ness can make the whole thing feel like a completely different game, and if I wanted that, I'd play a different game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley
I'm talking Shtupid Shroom playable levels.
Every level is playable with Shtoopid Shroom :3 (Most can be beaten, unless you need the range of Bouapha's hammers.)
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

I like monster-bashing levels,custom stuff levels,forest levels,lantern-lit levels and cave levels.And hard levels too(sometimes).

Last edited by Hammer Up!; 09-21-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Hammer Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

I hate caves. They have no variety. Then again, so do forests...but at least they have BUILDINGS in them...
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
jnmccrillis
Dumb Person

I absolutely hate worlds in the dark. And ice worlds with a lot of water to fall into. I love cave worlds, forest worlds, and underwater worlds. Oh, and I don't like space worlds.
jnmccrillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmccrillis View Post
I absolutely hate worlds in the dark. And ice worlds with a lot of water to fall into. I love cave worlds, forest worlds, and underwater worlds. Oh, and I don't like space worlds.
That's half of the reason why I don't like caves. The other is that they are just brown, and maybe with splotches of red (lava).
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

I like worlds that have darkness in them, as long as it's used correctly as something that adds to the level instead of just being there as a nuisance.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
the
Banned

Anything that's clever or uses a lot of neat specials. I recall one level where I had to jump off of a bouncy diving board and in to a raft in the middle of water in order to get an item, and I thought that was pretty neat!
the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
Pretty much sums it all up, though the unique-ness shouldn't be too... well, unique, imo. In fact, I'd often like to see less trying to be totally unique and more back-to-the-roots stuff. Like the original Dr. Lunatic worlds; those were fun, and the levels didn't use more than 20-something Specials on average, they were simply built upon the actual basic game engine. I'd like to see more of that, personally; too much unique-ness can make the whole thing feel like a completely different game, and if I wanted that, I'd play a different game.

Every level is playable with Shtoopid Shroom :3 (Most can be beaten, unless you need the range of Bouapha's hammers.)
No, they aren't. There are levels that set you to be another character, right when they start.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I Like Worlds That Have Around 20 Levels.
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
rmorrilly
Ultimatium Mortal

i like levels with puzzles, a storyline and definatly a fair amount of mayhem (huge monster pwning) =)
Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #16
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat

Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt

I like worlds that have a bit of everything without being too difficult, being a violation of common sense or looking obviously unreal. Despite Jamul's additions and the monster scan data for it, I still feel that the You-Go is sidelined in the Supremized Dr. Lunatic worlds.
"The Burninator is an enigmatic weapon. Apparently forged in the medieval ages by a wizard who loved fireballs, the Burninator is regarded in legend as the ultimate fusion between arcane combustion and napalm technology."
Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

It looks like you can't really go wrong with making a world as everything seems to be liked by atleast one or two people...

I like every world. It depends on how I'm feeling when I'm playing, but I like everything, monster bashing, puzzles of all kinds, dark/stealth levels, caverns, lava-filled-caverns, underwater levels, icy roads which are surrounded by water for some reason, etc.
Except insanely difficult/irritating bouncy tile levels...
Those are just terrible....

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 09-24-2009 at 09:53 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #18
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat

Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I only like worlds that can be completed on Hard difficulty (don't worry, most of them are). I play every level on Hard difficulty only, and all my levels are playtested on Hard as well. Both Spooky Castle and Dr. Lunatic had no difficulty settings, and I've played both (well, the demo for the latter), so I don't see why I should tone down the difficulty settings in Supreme (apart from the fact that I can just because I want to).
"The Burninator is an enigmatic weapon. Apparently forged in the medieval ages by a wizard who loved fireballs, the Burninator is regarded in legend as the ultimate fusion between arcane combustion and napalm technology."
Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #19
TyTBone
College Boi

I have the fondest memories with forest-y levels, probably because of what SP said: they didn't have a bunch of extra stuff to worry about. I prefer killing baddies to having to avoid water or anything instant-death-y.

Also, I'd like to see more urban and suburban themed levels, where, like, monsters have taken over a sprawling neighborhood and you have to battle your way out. Something like that.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #20
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
Also, I'd like to see more urban and suburban themed levels, where, like, monsters have taken over a sprawling neighborhood and you have to battle your way out. Something like that.
I think Dave Hettel was working on 'Bouapha Theft Auto' a while back, no idea what happened to it.

No idea why really, but I always feel more comfortable in cave levels.