Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

View Poll Results: Which kind of game do you prefer?
"Never-Ending" 10 43.48%
"Completable" 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
TyTBone
College Boi

Question Completable or Never-Ending Games

This was something I was thinking about whilst remembering when people were bouncing around Kid Mystic 2 and MikeyQuest.

It seems like Kid Mystic 2 was / might be more of a storylined/standard game, where you play through specific quests along a main, more-or-less linear storyline which eventually ends, presumably like the original KM, LL2, etc.

On the other hand, MikeyQuest seemed to be coming out as a "never-ending" type game, where there's a thin overarching storyline, but the main idea seems to be killing baddies, collecting stuff, etc. for the sake of doing it. [I'm not trying to knock it; my brain just can't come up with a better way to put it right now.] WoW, SwC, and maybe Costume Party are examples of this style.

I was just curious which game style you guys preferred. And if you have any suggestions on how I can edit / improve my definitions above, let me know.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Default Re: Completable or Never-Ending Games

I like games that are completable and never-ending; there's a goal you can reach, but besides trying to reach that goal (or after reaching it), there's lots of other stuff you can do, which is never-ending. The Pokémon games are a good example of what I'm talking about; they do have a storyline and you can complete them, but you can also spend hours just capturing or breeding Pokémon, entering contest, battling etc. which doesn't necessarily help you achieve any sort of goal (unless you define one yourself). Diablo II with its item-hunting aspect is also a good example; the game is definitely completable and has a storyline (linear structure and cutscenes even), but it doesn't stop there, since you can keep on playing for as long as you want even after completing the game and try to find powerful items just for the sake of it.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 09-25-2009 at 08:09 AM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
moltanem2000
Professional Party Person

i like a mixture of the two, a game that has an importatnt storyline, but when completed, allows for more gameplay with new features (like LL2)
Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Baconstrips
AKA "Pramtrade"

Never-ending is the best, because for completable games, you beat it, and that's that. They're only fun for so long, even if there are other things to do. After you complete everything you actually enjoy, you don't really want to play it again, but in a never-ending game, there are always more things to do. However, if it's a game where you keep playing and never stop, then you get bored of it once you've done all you want. If it's never-ending but is broken into chunks, (like Costume Party, or most RTS games) it's the most fun.

Last edited by Baconstrips; 09-25-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: general stuff
Baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
tashab
Dumb Person

I quite prefer completable mini-games, especially ones that are not too short. I like the cheap-thrill feeling of accomplishment I get after playing a game and successfully completing all the goals and collecting stuff etc all with the purpose of reaching some final goal. Never-ending games kinda annoy me, especially if there is no main point or goal to it. But a mixture of both styles can be good too, I guess.
tashab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
I like games that are completable and never-ending; there's a goal you can reach, but besides trying to reach that goal (or after reaching it), there's lots of other stuff you can do, which is never-ending. The Pokémon games are a good example of what I'm talking about; they do have a storyline and you can complete them, but you can also spend hours just capturing or breeding Pokémon, entering contest, battling etc. which doesn't necessarily help you achieve any sort of goal (unless you define one yourself). Diablo II with its item-hunting aspect is also a good example; the game is definitely completable and has a storyline (linear structure and cutscenes even), but it doesn't stop there, since you can keep on playing for as long as you want even after completing the game and try to find powerful items just for the sake of it.

*mostly agrees with this post*
But, that is not what you asked. So I'll go and vote on one now.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
*mostly agrees with this post*
But, that is not what you asked. So I'll go and vote on one now.
Well, he still has a good point. I was thinking about this; should've put some form of the option in the poll. :P
Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Redbone
She & her pronouns

I prefer Completable games, because it makes it feel like I've actually achieved something.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

It's nice to finish something, as there's more motivation for completing parts of it than there is for an endless game. And story doesn't really work without a completable game. My favourite Hamumu games are the story-driven, completable ones. (Though because of all the secret extras I haven't technically finished them...) But then again, some of my favourite other games are 'endless'.

So probably, other things affect whether I like a game more than whether you can complete it.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
/agree
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Completable games with extras are the best, but if it were one or the other, I'd pick completable games. It just gets boring for me if a game doesn't have a goal or something like that...
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!

Sandbox is neverending, which is pure pwn!

Ufo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
the
Banned

What kind of game I prefer just depends on my mood.
the is offline   Reply With Quote