Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yerfdog Best Halloween Ever 2009!

BEST HALLOWEEN EVER 2009
Note: There seems to be some consternation over this concept. Perhaps I can explain it with a simple analogy. In December 1898, Gaston de Chasseloup-Laubat was the fastest driver in the world at 39.2 mph. In 1997, Andy Green became the fastest at 760.3 mph. Gaston was the fastest, Andy is the fastest. Any superlative term implies "up to now" automatically. Things change. If it were 1898, Gaston would be "the fastest". That is no longer true. Therefore, in 2007, that Halloween was the Best. In 2008, that Halloween then became the best by surpassing it. That will become no longer true on October 31st of this year. Prepare yourself.

IT IS TIME PEOPLE! Time for my favorite holiday of the year, and time to make it better than it's ever been before!

How can we make it the best ever? Well, we're having a contest to achieve that.

1 - To enter, present a surprise to your fellow Hamumians on Oct. 31st, 2009.

2 - I will award you somewhere between 1 and 200 Yerfbucks for your surprise. Do something incredibly amazing, and you can earn even more than 200. Thousands, really, though I don't know what you could possibly do to justify something like that.

3 - The amount awarded for your surprise is entirely at my discretion. It is based on three factors: How much effort I think you put into it, how much fun I think your surprise will bring to the community, and a special bonus on top for doing something really surprising and cool that I think people won't be expecting!

4 - If you have an idea of a surprise you want to do, you may share it with me in PM or email if you're curious how many Yerfbucks I would judge it to be worthy of. That's just a guess, though - you may get far more or less, depending on how your end result turns out. If you don't put in much effort, then no, you won't get much! Again, the final amounts are entirely at my discretion. But if you do a decent job, you'll get very near the stated amount.

5 - No, entering a Halloween Horror world is definitely not a surprise (even if you normally don't!). Any Yerfbucks related to that are entirely separate. Please do an HH world though!

6 - Please keep surprises Halloween-themed, as this is supposed to be The Best Halloween Ever.

7 - Your surprise must be something good. Don't surprise us with one of those pictures that screams at you, or with hacking the website to be covered with profanity.

8 - I'll definitely help you out. If you need me to put something up on the website, or whatever kind of things I might be able to assist with, I am there. I don't have much spare time due to my own surprises (and this job I have), but contact me well in advance and we can discuss what and how much I can do to help you. I can help you work on ideas too - coming up with ideas is my #1 skill!

9 - Could this contest be any more vague? Possibly, so count your blessings. The whole idea is to surprise your fellow Hamumians with a treat (tricks accepted too, if they're not bad), so I can't tell you what to do. Dig deep into your creative brains and smoosh them out! Do something that nobody else would think of!

10 - Late entries NOT accepted! Get it done before Oct 31st, so you can wheel it out in time! It's the best HALLOWEEN ever, not All Saint's Day.

11 - However you go about delivering your surprise, send me an email on Oct 31st to make sure I note that you did it and can dish out the yerfbucks.

Questions? Surely you must have them. Post away! Just don't give away your surprise publicly!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Default Re: Best Halloween Ever 2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
Post away! Just don't give away your surprise publicly!
Does giving your surprise away publicly disqualify you? Just wondering, since some people have more or less been doing that.

Also, since the rules don't specify, does the surprise have to be something new or can it be something that has already been worked on but not finished/released yet? (I guess this question has mostly been answered since I submitted Zuulvania SE in 2007, which I had already been working on a little bit before the contest started. Just wanted to make sure (I haven't quite decided yet what I'm going to do, this might help me decide).)

EDIT: Nevermind the second question, I know what to do.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 10-01-2009 at 12:19 PM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
fourwind
Lord of Blobs

I actually started working on my Bhe a week ago.
So thats good.
And such. I can still submittify it if i had more time than other people to make it? :3

fourwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

There is no penalty for being unsneaky, but it's definitely not in the spirit of being surprising, now is it? So actually scratch that - if you are too unsneaky about what you are doing, I most likely will penalize you a little bit in terms of your prize, since that clearly cuts into the third judging criteria. But it certainly won't disqualify you.

It also doesn't matter if this is something you have made in the past, as long as it is a surprise to us all! This isn't a contest to see what you can accomplish in the time-frame, it's a contest to see how much fun you can bring us on the 31st. If you find something amazing in your attic and just bring it out and share it, that would qualify as a BHE surprise. Low score on the effort for that one, of course.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
BEST HALLOWEEN EVER 2009
Note: There seems to be some consternation over this concept. Perhaps I can explain it with a simple analogy. In December 1898, Gaston de Chasseloup-Laubat was the fastest driver in the world at 39.2 mph. In 1997, Andy Green became the fastest at 760.3 mph. Gaston was the fastest, Andy is the fastest. Any superlative term implies "up to now" automatically. Things change. If it were 1898, Gaston would be "the fastest". That is no longer true. Therefore, in 2007, that Halloween was the Best. In 2008, that Halloween then became the best by surpassing it. That will become no longer true on October 31st of this year. Prepare yourself.
Unfortunately I must say, the word 'EVER' stops this from working. Sorry.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Unfortunately I must say, the word 'EVER' stops this from working. Sorry.
Ever in this case only means 'up until now'.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

Because would you really want it to be "Best Halloween Up 'Till This Point, but Which Will be Outdone Next Year 2009"?
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

You can't add in future Halloweens, they haven't happened yet and they may not even happen. So Best Halloween Ever is certainly the best way to put it.
It outdoes all previous Halloweens, so it's the best ever.

You really can't say it'll be outdone next year, because there may not even be one.
EDIT: And I'll mention that I'll be participating some of the events. Which ones is a secret though.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 10-12-2009 at 09:05 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Question Re: Best Halloween Ever 2009!

So, making a mini game and having it posted on the website would count (not that I know how to do that) (surprised cyclops)?

If a game counts, is there a good website for that (that can make games like costume party)? (opie)

Maybe the website name? Thanks!!!

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 10-20-2009 at 10:35 PM.
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

You can always try Game Maker, it's a free program, and the basics are quite simple to use. But I'm not sure if you'll be able to make a good game in the time left.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Actually, Game Maker isn't free, and despite its name is also awful for any serious game making and very limited.

As you apparently have no experience in game creation, I wouldn't recommend attempting anything like this for a BHE surprise; chances are you'd need more time even learning the basics than there is time left until the deadline and end up with no surprise at all. There's lots of other more accomplishable ways you could surprise people (in a positive way) on halloween; just be creative.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 10-21-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
Actually, Game Maker isn't free, and despite its name is also awful for any serious game making and very limited.

As you apparently have no experience in game creation, I wouldn't recommend attempting anything like this for a BHE surprise; chances are you'd need more time even learning the basics than there is time left until the deadline and end up with no surprise at all. There's lots of other more accomplishable ways you could surprise people (in a positive way) on halloween; just be creative.
Game Maker is free, but you can get the Pro version for something like $30. Although you don't really need to pro version, since most features would be too advanced for beginners anyways!

Also, he might be able to make something on time if he searches up a couple of tutorials, obviously not a big game, but a short game is better than no game! But if you do have something else you know you could do well in the amount of time left, I suggest you do that instead.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
bowserfan

Post Re: Best Halloween Ever 2009!

There's also a program called Klik 'n Play; it's really simple, easy to use, and the most advised for beginners. It dosen't have a feature such as level scrolling or a player following camera though.

Last edited by bowserfan; 10-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
bowserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
moltanem2000
Professional Party Person

Quote:
sounds like someone hasnt bothered using gamemaker, i always get this "gamemaker is bad" attitude, but its always from people who barely know how to use it. now of course you can have your own oppinion, im just slightly insulted because you're telling me all my games are limited, unserious and that ive been wasting the last 3 years of my life with "awfulness".

now for BHE relatedness, only 1.5 weeks left! man, i really need to get going with this, or i wont be finished in time... theres alot left to do... hopefully everyone manages to finish their projects!

Last edited by Jamul; 10-21-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: language
moltanem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserfan
There's also a program called Klik 'n Play; it's really simple, easy to use, and the most advised for beginners. It dosen't have a feature such as level scrolling or a player following camera though.
I remember that :3 It's the earliest "development stage" of Multimedia Fusion 2, actually. Is it free by now? :o
Quote:
Originally Posted by moltanem2000 View Post
sounds like someone hasnt bothered using gamemaker, i always get this "gamemaker is bad" attitude, but its always from people who barely know how to use it.
I have in fact "bothered using gamemaker", and I didn't say the interface is awful; I meant that the feature range is, since it is very limited in what it actually allows you to do. Even if I hadn't ever used the program, I have played enough Game Maker games to have the right to say it's not good for game creation judging by what I've played. Games created with it also all have a loading screen at the beginning and some take ages to load, which really shouldn't be necessary for 2D games of that kind, leading me to assume Game Maker doesn't handle resources as well as it should, which is another con.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moltanem2000
you're telling me all my games are limited, unserious
I'm very sorry if that seemed offensive, I haven't played your games in particular so I can't say anything about them. Game Maker just happens to be a non-professional game creation tool and as such will always be limited, and games made with Game Maker can't exceed the limits of Game Maker (not saying they're necessarily bad, just less polished and/or playable than non-Game Maker games because of the program's limitations).

EDIT: This strayed off-topic a bit... Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to present a surprise on Halloween :\ Maybe I'll post one for Christmas if I can't get it ready in time :p A "Best Christmas Ever" might be a nice idea actually... or maybe not. I'd just imagine it'd fit because lots of people give & get presents on Christmas outside of this forum too. Actually, that might be offensive to some religions though.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 10-23-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #16
bowserfan

Post Re: Best Halloween Ever 2009!

Quote:
Is it free by now?
Nope, and the full version is now deleted from the creators site.

Last edited by bowserfan; 10-23-2009 at 08:31 AM.
bowserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
LRT
Banned

I'm working away on my surprise...
LRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
Megadog
The Demagogue

I can't remember, does it have to be all your own graphics, or can you use some from, like, the site?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

If you're only making a surprise that you'll share on these forums and nowhere else, you can use stuff from the site.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #20
writerstix
Writer of Sticks

One more day everybody!

Check out my page on Hamumu Wikia!
http://hamumu.wikia.com/wiki/User:Writerstix
writerstix is offline   Reply With Quote