Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 03-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Default Help me find a laptop that's right for me

Okay, so about a month ago, my sister was playing my comp, and she accidentally spilt a full glass of apple juice on it. We cleaned it up, and at first, we thought nothing had happened (my comp had previously survived 3 spills).

But then, one day a few days later, one of my friends was playing Rome Total War, when my comp overheated, and the screen went black. I could not shut it down in any way, and we ended up having to remove the battery from my computer to shut it down. Then, a few days later, I was playing Medieval II Total War, and I got up for a bit, and when I had come back, my comp had shut itself down (but I did not need to take out that battery this time).

Anyways, we recognized that my computer was overheating, so we sent it into Staples to be repaired. They fixed it up a bit, but they said they couldn't do much, since the juice knocked the sensor in my comp that turns the fan on out. They installed a new program on my comp which tells me how hot my comp is in real-time (called SpeedFan). They then said that we could either pay $300 to get the sensor replaced, or pay $60 to get a cooler which you put under a laptop, and it emits cold air. My mom bought the cooler, and at first, we thought it fixed the problem. But then, after I finished playing Battlefield Heroes, we realized that it wasn't really working since SpeedFan said that my computer was at 77 degrees Celsius (acceptable is below 60). Then, late last night, after I finished watching a 480p 9-minute video, my computer was at 82 degrees Celsius ! So, me and my mom decided that I needed a new computer.

Now, my mom hopes that she will only pay $600, but after checking around Toshiba.com, they have their cheapest comp priced at $630, so I think that something in the $600-$800 range would be good, with $900 probably being the max my mom would accept, even with me chipping in all my Christmas and birthday money.

Now, the computer I'm looking for HAS to be a laptop (since I take my comp to school and to my cottage), and it has to not be a Mac (since more games work on Windows). I am looking for a computer that has more memory than mine (the drive that comes with this computer has 173 GB of space), and it can run games better than mine (right now, I can run Rome Total War and Civilization IV with everything on high, but those games are 6 and 5 years old, respectably). My computer can run Medieval II, but only with Unit Detail set to low, which makes everything on the units look super-blotchy, and even with that, it only does 5 fps, or something like that. I tried running the Empire Total War demo on it, and it doesn't lag as much as Medieval, but only because it made the graphics be worse than Rome, and it still lags. So yeah, I am looking for a gaming laptop, I guess, but one a few years behind would suit my needs fine. One that can play Med II with the unit detail set to High, and still run at a respectable speed, would be great.

I looked around, and I think this looks the best, but it doesn't have an internal CD drive, so I'm wondering how much an external one would cost (I could use the change I have in my piggy banks to pay for that (I have A LOT of change)). This seems like the cheapest one, but I bet it's worse than my comp that I have now! (It's a Toshiba Satellite, by the way, from 2008.)

So yeah, help me find a good comp!
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person

Last edited by ElMikkino; 03-06-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added in a bit
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck
Default Re: Help me find a laptop that's right for me

Laptops aren't really meant for gaming, so you're probably not going to find a cheap one that's able to run big games perfectly. I don't have any suggested laptop, but you should probably go down to your local stores that sell laptops and compare the specs on it and stuff. Also note that generally the smaller it is the worst it is, as there's not as much space.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
evilclone
bigger puny mortal

alienware,and dont listen to blackduck every computer is for gaming. because what can you do on your computer that isnt gaming or game making.seriously.and yeah,take alienware. note:if i forgot to say it buy alienware.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

I'd say get a gateway. My Gateway laptop has survived for 5 years and will still run some games that are coming out! I'd recommend this one, it's $599 and pretty good: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668430.php

Edit: ALthough the graphics card in that doesn't support DX11 (I believe), so if you want to play really new, really shiny games, you won't be able to. But that's only really new really shiny games.

Last edited by Julian; 03-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilclone View Post
alienware,and dont listen to blackduck every computer is for gaming. because what can you do on your computer that isnt gaming or game making.seriously.and yeah,take alienware. note:if i forgot to say it buy alienware.
Alienware costs a lot more than your regular laptop, which makes it quite out of his $600 type range. Also, Macintosh.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilclone View Post
...dont listen to blackduck every computer is for gaming. because what can you do on your computer that isnt gaming or game making...
sorry to burst your bubble, but this is completely wrong. First, gaming computers are VERY powerful, they are designed to play almost ALL games, not just basic ones. Second, you can E-Mail, scan the web, draw, write, make spreadsheets, make movies, makes sites and much more. Computers were not made for games.

Last edited by Megadog; 03-06-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

ElMikkino, that cheap one you mentioned, being a netbook, will really struggle with Total War. That Alienware is probably massive overkill though.

I can't really suggest any laptops, though the one Julian linked to looks pretty good - processor and RAM wise, it's slightly better than my desktop. And the graphics card is more recent than mine too - laptop versions tend to be less good than desktop would be, but the resolution is low enough that it shouldn't be a problem. The DX11 thing he mentions shouldn't be an issue for a few years, as most games don't even require DX10 yet. So yeah, looks good! You should probably look around a bit more first though, see if anything better or cheaper comes up.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I suggest you avoid HP at all costs!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

DELL is awesome
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Yeah, Julian's laptop looks the best. The Alienware one would always have been a longshot, and I knew that that Dell Mini one was bad when I saw it had less space than my Satellite! So yeah, I'll show my mom the Gateway one. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Okay, I showed my mom the Gateway one, and after we found that The Source in Canada sells one that's almost exactly the same one (the only difference that I see is that this one is black instead of coffee brown), she said that we could do that. Thanks again, guys. Here is what is probably going to be my new comp in a bit.
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person

Last edited by ElMikkino; 03-06-2010 at 05:33 PM.
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
seamonkey
spoon eater

y'know, I'm now considering julians as getting it for myself. I am also lookin, and that looks great.
anyway what does HP stand for anyway?
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Julian
Is a ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
anyway what does HP stand for anyway?
Hewlett-Packard.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
King Krazy
resident mandolinist

All I can say is drop any good expectations you have from Toshiba now, because the whole line of all their laptops are very notorious for overheating very easily.
My amp: Fishman ACG-20 (discontinued)
King Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Well, I can tell you one thing. I was about to Suggest a Dell Desktop, But then I noticed that you Wanted a LAPTOP. Dell Laptops are bad, Especcialy Big ones. But, My family's Dell Desktop, Has been Running for 6 Years, so that's why I was gonna Suggest that. But, You need a Laptop, So... I don't have any Ideas. Sorry.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheads1999 View Post
Well, I can tell you one thing. I was about to Suggest a Dell Desktop, But then I noticed that you Wanted a LAPTOP. Dell Laptops are bad, Especcialy Big ones. But, My family's Dell Desktop, Has been Running for 6 Years, so that's why I was gonna Suggest that. But, You need a Laptop, So... I don't have any Ideas. Sorry.
desktops are a different story entirely. The (semi)cheapest and best quality desktops are HOMEMADE. That's what I'm doing.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
desktops are a different story entirely. The (semi)cheapest and best quality desktops are HOMEMADE. That's what I'm doing.
However, why bother when you can get it fully assembled?
I'm not really a Laptop guy, so I can't help here.
But since Gateway hasn't been attacked, go for that. I mean, it has a +1 on the opinion scale.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
However, why bother when you can get it fully assembled?
I'm not really a Laptop guy, so I can't help here.
But since Gateway hasn't been attacked, go for that. I mean, it has a +1 on the opinion scale.
Because Preassembled computers aren't made for SUPER high tech gaming. Making one allows you to get it as High Spec as you want.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #18
Julian
Is a ninja

Quote:
Because Preassembled computers aren't made for SUPER high tech gaming. Making one allows you to get it as High Spec as you want.
Although games are made to run on the average computer - if you needed a computer that cost thousands of dollars to buy to play a game, nobody would buy it! The reason games get higher requirements is because the computers people have get better. So yes, you can get a really powerful computer if you build it yourself, but a slightly above average pre-assembled computer would last a couple years.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
evilclone
bigger puny mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Although games are made to run on the average computer - if you needed a computer that cost thousands of dollars to buy to play a game, nobody would buy it! The reason games get higher requirements is because the computers people have get better. So yes, you can get a really powerful computer if you build it yourself, but a slightly above average pre-assembled computer would last a couple years.

ok, who would buy a computer for 1000 dollars to play a game(well...me).its good nowadays to have a computer with...at least 2 gb of ram,256mb graphic card,and a 4 core processor.that is a normal configuration with that you could play some ok games(mw,overlord,prototype,maybe even DIRT) but some two-three months in the future games will need an computer that is awesome(if your computer can run crysis fear not,because that is an technology far beyond our reality:P)
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #20
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
ok, I would buy a computer for 1500 NZ dollars with...at least 4 Gb of ram, 1Gb graphic card, 12GHz processor, 1Tb or hard disk space and a 4 core processor.
There you go

Last edited by Megadog; 03-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote