Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017
Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
yourter12
forever gone

Default Viacom suing

I was looking at my subscriptions on Youtube, and I found this video that tells about Viacom and how they're suing INNOCENT CHILDREN who are fans of Viacom's shows just for posting clips of their favorite shows. And get this. Viacom is making Youtube pay 15k per clip! But that's not all! They make toys for kids that are inappropriate. Suing innocent fans of Viacom-owned shows just for showing their love for those shows is wrong, people! For more information, go to Youtube and search for "viacom sues youtube". Tell your friends, your family, your neighors, anyone you can tell and stop this menace from suing innocent people and Youtube. And don't post any Viacom-owned show clips- or you could be the next victim of Viacom!
*If this is not Hamumu-appropriate, you can delete it. I just wanted everyone to know about the heart-breaking news.*

Last edited by yourter12; 03-26-2010 at 02:59 PM.
yourter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Viacom suing

They have a right to do it. It's called the DMCA
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
yourter12
forever gone

Search Youtube and you'll get the picture.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Care to link to a specific video? http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Are you sure this is accurate, as I check many sites that would be all over this, and none of them have said anything.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourter12 View Post
They make toys for kids that are inappropriate.
like what?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Huh...That's not good, Stop this madness everybody
Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
yourter12
forever gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
Care to link to a specific video? http://wombat.platymuus.com/ytembed/
It has two bad words, so probably not. But if you want to see it, go to my channel on Youtube. Favorite it. Rate it five stars! Give it to everyone! People must know about this menace

Last edited by yourter12; 03-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
cheesefairy9
Large Mortal

Yeah, Viacom's kinda evil that way. They have a history of deleting any video that includes any fraction of anything they own. Some stuff they demand deleted doesn't even belong to them, and Youtube caves in anyway.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Even though Viacom does have a legal right to do this, it's not corporately smart. Everyone hates them for taking down their videos, and now for suing YouTube, so they get less viewers, meaning less money. I definitely find other methods more effective than this. I have a YouTube account, and when I was younger, I knew little about copyright infringement, so I used some songs by certain people. As a result, YouTube has been contacting me, saying that my video had been flagged for copyright infringement, but they just put ads on it, which is better for companies, since almost no-one cares about ads unless they are super annoying, and companies get money for the ads.

I also have had copyright stuff claimed by EA in my vids of Sims 3 and Spore, but they do nothing but make YouTube stick a "Contains content from EA" in the description, with "EA" being a clickable link. This method is also good, since it gets people to know about EA.

Viacom's methods aren't very good, since removing videos and suing people takes more time, and clips are being uploaded faster than they can sue. I would suggest to them to rather stick some ads on, do what EA does, or both. Unless someone makes a video that directly insults Viacom using one of their shows, they would be better off doing those more subtle methods.

Plus, these companies aren't really doing a good job with copyright infringement, anyways. As of now, you can watch an insane amount of full episodes from TV shows, usually full seasons, too on YouTube, with only around 2 or 3 parts being blocked of copyright. I usually see 1 part of an episode blocked, but the second part unblocked. What's the point of that?

Plus, there are a lot of other sites on the net that do that as well, and they would probably be better suing targets. They have less money, and you are more likely to put them out of business, plus you'll get less negative news coverage. These companies seem to always lack someone on the "inside"...
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
yourter12
forever gone

If you want the video, I'll send it to you. It has mild language, but you need to hear what this guy's saying.

Last edited by yourter12; 03-27-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

I remeber a while back I think that Viacom said they owned some college person's completely made from scratch work. I think. They also did some other stuff.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMikkino View Post
Even though Viacom does have a legal right to do this, it's not corporately smart. Everyone hates them for taking down their videos, and now for suing YouTube, so they get less viewers, meaning less money. I definitely find other methods more effective than this. I have a YouTube account, and when I was younger, I knew little about copyright infringement, so I used some songs by certain people. As a result, YouTube has been contacting me, saying that my video had been flagged for copyright infringement, but they just put ads on it, which is better for companies, since almost no-one cares about ads unless they are super annoying, and companies get money for the ads.

I also have had copyright stuff claimed by EA in my vids of Sims 3 and Spore, but they do nothing but make YouTube stick a "Contains content from EA" in the description, with "EA" being a clickable link. This method is also good, since it gets people to know about EA.

Viacom's methods aren't very good, since removing videos and suing people takes more time, and clips are being uploaded faster than they can sue. I would suggest to them to rather stick some ads on, do what EA does, or both. Unless someone makes a video that directly insults Viacom using one of their shows, they would be better off doing those more subtle methods.

Plus, these companies aren't really doing a good job with copyright infringement, anyways. As of now, you can watch an insane amount of full episodes from TV shows, usually full seasons, too on YouTube, with only around 2 or 3 parts being blocked of copyright. I usually see 1 part of an episode blocked, but the second part unblocked. What's the point of that?

Plus, there are a lot of other sites on the net that do that as well, and they would probably be better suing targets. They have less money, and you are more likely to put them out of business, plus you'll get less negative news coverage. These companies seem to always lack someone on the "inside"...
If I recall correctly, Spore's EULA states that they own everything you make in it.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
If I recall correctly, Spore's EULA states that they own everything you make in it.
You read through the entire thing?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
It has two bad words, so probably not. But if you want to see it, go to my channel on Youtube. Favorite it. Rate it five stars! Give it to everyone! People must know about this menace
Charging for it is overrated, I'll send it for free.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Youtube earns money from advertisements shown in videos, and if you are a youtube partener you also earn money from those advertisements. Would you like it if some stranger earned money from your work? Why should Viacom tolerate that?
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
yourter12
forever gone

Why is everyone siding with Viacom?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Why is everyone siding with Viacom?
Did you even read my post? Youtube earns money from people infringing Viacom's copyrights. Some of those people also earn money from that. And you say that the fact that Viacom sues the people who illegally steal from them is bad. It is the same as stealing from a store. Imagine this: Little Tommy likes candy. So he goes to the store and steals all the candy. Then, the shopkeeper sues little Tommy. What you are saying is, that Little Tommy should not be charged for stealing, because he liked those candy. Who cares about Old Rupert, the shopkeeper? Who cares about the money he lost because of Tommy not respecting him and the law? I do, that's why I side with Viacom.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

I'm siding with Viacom because it''s their right to sue, and if I were in the same situation I would too.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
Redbone
She & her pronouns

The only thing really wrong about Viacom is their false copyright claims; when they claim copyright on something that's not theirs. Other than that, they have a right to sue.