Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.
Default An Increase

I think there has DEFINATELY been an increace in rudeness and spam events recently.
Here is what has hapened in the past month IIRC:
Three ad spammers (Or was it four?)
Three chat events
And another thing I`ve noticed is that more people have been lying recently. I do not think that lying is actual rudeness, just pointing it out.
- A spambot

Last edited by Jamul; 06-01-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: it goes without saying
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Default Re: An Increace

I have seen totally horrible ad spammers you would never imagine, some time ago. I don't think there is an increase. Besides, the chat events increase when the time you watch the chat increases. If you watch the chat all the time, I am sure you will see a lot more things you would hope you haven't. And besides the dog thread, what lying are you talking about?
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
moltanem2000
Professional Party Person

3 ad spammers really isn't much at all. like at all.

And i agree with PE about the lying. Not that we can exactly point fingers and accuse, and generally if there is any (IE dog thread. though i didn't follow that so i don't really know the details) it's all good natured and the whole point is to mislead to later inform "for the lulz".

And of course RWK/RWP has brought more attention to the site, especially RWP since the link is blatant. If I've noticed an increase, it's an increase of new members. And of course if you have more people the small percentage that is the rude/spammer/etc. type becomes bigger.
(IE 5% of 100 is 5, but 5% of 1000 is 50)
And we tend to notice what displeases us more than what pleases us, and if we notice both we tend to find the displeasing one more prominent, even if there is less of it.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.

IIRC, there have been 4 lie threads recently. Megadog`s "I can stand on water!!!!", Cheesefairy9`s "Look! I got a new dog!" and of course both of Pumpkineater`s RW_ celebration threads.
And as for the ad spammers, there has been an increace. There has been three or four in May, which we certainly did not get in April (Or March,Feburary and January IIRC).
- A spambot
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

How do you know the spam bots did not have the same source. I'm sure there are people out there who sell these services, so we could of gotten a few from one place. And 4 an anomaly. The normal amount is 0 to 1 spam bot.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

We got 3 or 4 ad spammers a day usually. You just don't usually get to see them! I don't really know if we've seen more or less than usual lately.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrain View Post
IIRC, there have been 4 lie threads recently. Megadog`s "I can stand on water!!!!", Cheesefairy9`s "Look! I got a new dog!" and of course both of Pumpkineater`s RW_ celebration threads.
And as for the ad spammers, there has been an increace. There has been three or four in May, which we certainly did not get in April (Or March,Feburary and January IIRC).
About those celebration threads, the first one can't be characterised as a lie at all, since I never say anywhere it is not a TAS. The second, is not a proven TAS.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
I'm sure there are people out there who sell these services
The services in question are AFAIK, a very lucrative market, (10,000 computers spamming 10,000 forums will get some business, right?) but Hamumu is still very obscure.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Felixrain
has transformed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
About those celebration threads, the first one can't be characterised as a lie at all, since I never say anywhere it is not a TAS. The second, is not a proven TAS.
The first one WAS a lie because you clearly tried to make out that you completed RWK fair and square, and I am afraid to announce that Pumpkineater told me the second one was a TAS in chat. It dosen`t make a big difference, though, since everyone is pretty convinced it was a TAS anyway.
- A spambot
Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
The first one WAS a lie because you clearly tried to make out that you completed RWK fair and square, and I am afraid to announce that Pumpkineater told me the second one was a TAS in chat. It dosen`t make a big difference, though, since everyone is pretty convinced it was a TAS anyway.
Never did I say that I did it fair and square. You just assumed it.
Since chat messages are not hosted permenantly on the site, they are not valid evidence, and to me, neither is the thoughts of people. It is my video, and I don't care what people think about it.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
Felixrain
has transformed!

And with that, nothing more should be said.
- A spambot
Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

There is a very fine line between deception and lying. Neither are condoned, and it's best to be open and honest if you want people to trust you. In both cases you are taking advantage of - perhaps even exploiting - people's trust and faith. Try not to cry wolf.
I don't know about spamming, but there has definitely - from my perspective - been an increase in people being deceptive as of late, as well as being quite 'hostile' towards one another. It does more harm than good, especially in an open and friendly community like Hamumu strives to be.

Last edited by WackieWatty; 06-01-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Adding a little bit
WackieWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
cheesefairy9
Large Mortal

I don't see what the big deal about lying is. It's not like people need to trust each other over the internet. In fact, I thought the big deal about the internet was that you can't trust the random strangers that appear on it. So that would mean I was teaching a valuable lesson on trustworthiness in that dog topic! I'm an asset to this community!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Felixrain
has transformed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefairy9 View Post
I don't see what the big deal about lying is. It's not like people need to trust each other over the internet. In fact, I thought the big deal about the internet was that you can't trust the random strangers that appear on it. So that would mean I was teaching a valuable lesson on trustworthiness in that dog topic! I'm an asset to this community!
If you lie, you will not be liked very much. If you lie too much, people will get very annoyed and stop believing you altogether. And what do you mean " In fact, I thought the big deal about the internet was that you can't trust the random strangers that appear on it". Forums are TOTALLY different. You reasonably know the people on a forum, and if they lie to you all the time, the forum becomes a place where people never take anyone`s word for ANYTHING. That is not how forums should be (Nor the Internet), and if you think so, then don`t socialize over the internet.
- A spambot
Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Megadog
Still here.

Well, mine was just a 'Perfect opportunity' moment. Seriously! Natural disasters are not common here, we haven't had a flood since like...Y2K!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Whoa really? We get floods all the time here :O
[/perfect opportunity to lie]
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
There is a very fine line between deception and lying. Neither are condoned, and it's best to be open and honest if you want people to trust you. In both cases you are taking advantage of - perhaps even exploiting - people's trust and faith. Try not to cry wolf.
I don't know about spamming, but there has definitely - from my perspective - been an increase in people being deceptive as of late, as well as being quite 'hostile' towards one another. It does more harm than good, especially in an open and friendly community like Hamumu strives to be.
I'm not blaming it on, or throwing it under a train, but in my opinion, I'd have to say it's part in parcel with the new clubhouse updates.

It's supposed to attract extra customers, and it's done that well. It's not the fact that there's so many new members, but the fact that there's been an increase in odd people that's greased up this community.

Before with software, and the more devoted/closed customers, if the thread was a lie, or deceptive, The people would go "This is a lie, this is why I think it is, now i'm going to let other people have their own opinion. " (Sure, it didn't always boil down to this, but it was usually what happened) It's sort of translated to "WOW OBVIOUS LIE LET ME POINT IT OUT TO EVERYONE 100 TIMES" and if somebody says otherwise, a flamewar usually ensues. The same goes for fourm games, but this time it's actually a population thing instead of a personality thing.

I guess I have no reason to complain, but this is the right thread for it. There are too many forum games, usually consisting of "GENERIC RPG" or "RATE _____ OF PERSON _______" I'm guessing it was never a problem in software because there wasn't enough people to really start a forum game fad. But thinking back, there were still forum games, but just less of them, and usually 1-2 of them and the rest discussion topics. (Obviously that has flipped, because now there are probably 1-2 discussion topics per page)

Well, that's my two cents. It'll probably get censored or edited, but my opinion stays the same.

Last edited by Kerma; 06-04-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Kerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #18
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Exclamation Re: An Increace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
We got 3 or 4 ad spammers a day usually. You just don't usually get to see them! I don't really know if we've seen more or less than usual lately.
I saw a guy who was selling shoes.

As for lying, I think its fine. However, for now on we just won't believe Cf9 even if he DOES get a dog. And we won't believe PE whenever he makes a RW? movie
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

Quote:
Three ad spammers (Or was it four?)
January this year there were 20 ad spammers that signed up, but in May, there have been 47 of them.

Note that this does not count the ones that's profiles have been deleted instead of banned. Much more than you thought, but it definitely seems to be on the rise.

Last edited by Blackduck; 06-01-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Megadog
Still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
However, for now on we just won't believe Cf9 even if he DOES get a dog. And we won't believe PE whenever he makes a RW? movie
and me if I actually walk on water (unless I actually give proof)