Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017
Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
happystickman
Back From the Dead

Default Game Design

If you planning on going into game design, you really should at least get a bachelors degree. It would really help further your career.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
death
Banned

Default Re: School's Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystickman View Post
If you planning on going into game design, you really should at least get a bachelors degree. It would really help further your career.
yeah, if I wanted to join someone elses company... but I wanna start my own.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
yeah, if I wanted to join someone elses company... but I wanna start my own.
so do I, you need a level 8 certificate in NZ to start a proper game making business. Seriously, can you sell games ATM?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
death
Banned

lol, as far as I care, I will make games, and I will sell them. getting a certificate will only let the government know "hey, we can tax this guy now!" more than usual, I mean.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
happystickman
Back From the Dead

How will you get the money to sustain yourself before you gain an audience and make a profit?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
lol, as far as I care, I will make games, and I will sell them. getting a certificate will only let the government know "hey, we can tax this guy now!" more than usual, I mean.
What?!? Seriously, you're crazy! That certificate allows me to learn from the masters of computer programming and advanced robotics of NZ! Weta Workshop (they helped with LOTR) made a robotic tuatara to study the mating habits of them, and have stopped them from becoming extincted! If I learned from them, I could pretty happily say that if I made a game, it would be of high quality.

Also, you can't just magically sell games, you need to get customers, you need a hook and you need a market.

To your second point, how does a gouvernment tax more for more educated studants?!?

And lastly, if you want to prove youself, make a game and show me it. I want to see a game you think you could sustain your life on.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

He doesn't mean a degree, he means a business license. And you can't legally do business without a business license, so what he's saying is essentially tax evasion.

EDIT: Whoops, saw the post out of context. But the business license is what makes the government tax you, not a degree

Last edited by Julian; 06-09-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Re: Game Design

Heh. Good luck on that. Jamul, I believe, has a college degree, and, if you believe his journal entries, sometimes struggles to get by. And he's one of the luckier ones. I, for instance, want to become a professional musician. However, in case that doesn't work out, I'd rather have a degree so I can get a decent career than live poor.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
You MUST have a business licence, if you don't it's illegal! The fact that you arn't working for somebody is irrelevant, you MUST have a business licence in order to legally do business.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
death
Banned

quit hounding me, I may be 18, but that does not change the fact that I have feelings

Last edited by death; 06-09-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
TyTBone
College Boi

If you're going into game design, the two things I can recommend to have is patience and a willingness to learn (whatever your learning style is).
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
death
Banned

I'm willing to learn, but I'm not going to college to do so. I can learn on my own, especially since that's the best way to learn programming. as for graphics, thats a matter of finding the right program and practicing.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Thumbs up Re: Game Design

What kind of games do you plan to make?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
death
Banned

when I'm starting out, I'll make all sorts of indie type games. (NO CASUAL GAMES THOUGH!) I already have a few ideas.

eventually, I plan on becomming a big corporation, so I can get help on making my bigger ideas.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
I'm willing to learn, but I'm not going to college to do so. I can learn on my own, especially since that's the best way to learn programming. as for graphics, thats a matter of finding the right program and practicing.
It's probaly a good idea to go to college anyways... I'm planning to develop games on my own also, but I'm also planning on going to college. This way, you have the education for a backup plan in case things get wrong.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #16
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
It's probaly a good idea to go to college anyways... I'm planning to develop games on my own also, but I'm also planning on going to college. This way, you have the education for a backup plan in case things get wrong.
Me high fives SC for not only graduating in 2012 as well, but for having a similar plan as him too!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #17
happystickman
Back From the Dead

Class of 2012! We are so awesome, the world cant handle we are graduating, so it just ends itself.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystickman View Post
Class of 2012! We are so awesome, the world cant handle we are graduating, so it just ends itself.
WHOO! Sophmores/Juniors FTW!

On-Topicness:

I've already started multiple projects (unfortunatly, none have been finished yet--I always end up starting new projects while old ones are still in progress), and there are a couple games whose engines are done, I just need to finish making the levels for them.

So far, my list of projects includes:
The Amulet of Mana- the first game I developed. It was just entering Beta, when my computer crashed, and I lost most of it. However, I was planning to change a lot of things before, so now it might be easier to do so.
Platformman- A platform game that was inspired by CP. You play as Platformman, a video game nerd who wants to collect as many Points as he can. He is aided by 5 common video game powers (Actually, one of them isn't technically a power like the other four, since it's one-time use only): Mic (shoots music notes at enemies), Platform (Jumps, bashes blocks, etc.), Stealth (self-explanitory), Future (Shoots lazers), and Atomic (one-time use, annihilates enemies). The full version of the game will have 100 levels of varying difficulty, and a trial version which is nearly completed will have 20 levels of varying difficulty.
Parisite- This probaly won't be worked on for a while, as its a complex FPS game. You play as Jason, the leader of a mercenary team hired by the government to help stop the threat of the alien Cherno. Jason's team recieves a tip from an informant telling of a Cherno supply outpost hidden on the human-controlled planet Ira. The outpost is dangerouly close to Ira's capital city, and so the government sends in Jason's team to destroy said outpost. Jason finds no outpost, but instead a deadly biological weapon, the Parisite, buried deep benieth the ice. The Parisite, freed, begins to wreck havoc on the city. Jason must find a way off Ira, and at the same time, make sure that the Parisite don't.
Impiri dei Italia- Italian for "Empires of Italy." In this strategy game, you are the son of the ruler of Reggio Calabria, a decent-sized city on the southwestern tip of the Italian pennisula. When your father is assassinated by men hired by the Kingdom of Naples, of which Reggio Calabria is a part, you, succeeding your father, separate from the Kingdom and in doing so begain a war for control of the southern half of Italy. You must build your city, but only have limited space to do so. In order to succeed, you must find a balance between the different types of buildings: Private (population), Military (army), Commercial (money flow), and Walls (protection). Neglecting any of these will have negative consequences on the city. If you succeed, all of Italy will be yours.

Last edited by sonicchaos1993; 06-11-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
TyTBone
College Boi

I'd like to try a variety of things, personally. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to be capable of handling/staying organized with a lot of code (unfortunately, since even small games have hundreds of lines), but of course eventually I'd like to try to get into the 3D realm of things. (Currently I'd like to do a survival-horror game, sort of like Silent Hill except less cult-y based and more psychological - a wrestling with yourself type thing.)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
death
Banned

I'd like to eventually get into 3d as well. but that can wait until I start to make the transition from indie company to corporate company.

I'll probably start off by making danmaku games with the danmakufu game engine... Touhou is awesome.